🐈
» Forums » Clients » Scammers
Page options
714253b3
Community Member

Scammers

Hi 

i am getting lot of scam proposal messages from upwork to connect  outside upwork some times giving mobile numbers and telegrams whatsapp ids but no one is ready to contract on upwork platform.

6 REPLIES 6
ashrafkhan81
Community Member

They are not ready to contract on Upwork because they are all scammers! 

Do not send them any message or initiate contact with them outside Upwork, do not send any money to them regardless of the reason they give you! 

Stay safe!

elia33
Community Member

I got offered a contract after an 'interview' on Skype, but they want to send me a check to buy a laptop and equipment to use for them specifically. Is this normal? They said they will send a check by email pdf that I can scan, print, then mobile deposit? I have never heard of this. It says they are a verified Upwork Plus Client though? 

Hi Elia,

Please know that you are not required to deposit any amount to start working. I'd also like to let you know that it is a violation of Upwork TOS to communicate outside the platform before a contract is placed. All payments must be done through Upwork as well. You can read more on this help article and also, please check out Tips to avoid questionable jobs and this help article about how you can stay safe on Upwork.  

~ Joanne
Upwork

Just because it shows they are a a verified Upwork Plus Client does not mean they are not a scammer. Do not let those designations help you decide whether they are legit or not. Please read the tips on how to spot scams and let that be your guide instead.

christopherbudde
Community Member

It's a scam. Don't communicate with them.

e64be11b
Community Member

Elia,

I had the same experience. I received an offer of work. I went to the company website to check it out and the company had posted a warning that a scam was going on using their logo, etc. I'm glad I checked. I guess we all have to do our due dilligence.

Regards,

Alan

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths