🐈
» Forums » Clients » Serious security concern with Upwork desktop ...
Page options
yassin_sameh
Community Member

Serious security concern with Upwork desktop screenshots being stored long term

Many people have previously voiced their concern that sometimes the Upwork Desktop App will take screenshots that will contain very sensitive information for a client, and if the freelancer removes them, they lose that time worked. So the question is..

Why doesn' upwork allow the client to remove screenshots after hours have been approved and paid?

It's such a necessary feature for any organization with proper Cybersecurity protocols, if one thing history has shown is that all databases and organizations are vulnerable to attacks including upwork and it's screenshot databases, your hourly tracking has benefit and merit, long term screenshot storing does not! It risks organization keys and secrets being leaked, imagine the backlash on the reputation of Upwork if there was a leak, and ofcourse, how many companies would be vulnerable with their keys leaked...

Given how crucial this is, myself and others urge you to please set this feature as a high priority.

12 REPLIES 12
prestonhunter
Community Member

As both a freelancer and a client, I'm fine with it.

Upwork ALREADY PROVIDES SOLUTIONS for clients with security concerns.

You may use manually logged hourly time. You may use fixed-price contracts.

Problem solved.

Hi Preston, these are not solutions these are workaround methods to take with different functionality and have their pros and cons. Hourly tracked time has features that your two proposed methods do not provide, in some cases for certain clients/freelancers it would not fit their needs.

That is why requesting this feature is important so we can have both that security as well as the functionality the tracked hours provide. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Yassin,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestion. Feel free to check out our Privacy Policy and specifically this section for more information about this matter. There are multiple ways freelancers and clients can manage their working relationship, pay and get paid on Upwork and we encourage them to discuss and choose the arrangements that best fit their situation. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

How long are the historical tracker screenshots stored by Upwork?

Hi Matt,

Screenshots are accessible in the contract's Work Diary for up to a year. 

~Andrea
Upwork
Community Member

As I understand the matter, Upwork permits you to use a counter-measure software that blurs any screenshots taken by the app. Your client simply agrees to automatically authorize all related time intervals that you clock.

Search "blur" in the Hourly Escrow section of the ToS.

Thanks for the suggestion, only one to provide a relatively helpful comment so far 🙂 , Can you recommend any app that does this?

No idea.

williamtcooper
Community Member

Yassin,

That is one of dozens of reasons why I don't do hourly contracts. Consider using Milestones and avoid all these types of issues. I have completed 330+ Jobs on Upwork and they are by Milestones. Have a great day!

Hi William, hourly contracts have their pros for both parties and some clients prefer to use it, but that's a different topic than the scope of this question. Thanks for the suggestion , Have a great day too.

spectralua
Community Member

Ok, if it is stored year then why freelancer unable to see own screens? Only current week available to view.

Hi Mykola, 

Thank you for sharing your interest in seeing work diary screenshots from weeks before. We will be sure to share your post with our team for further review and consideration. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths