🐈
» Forums » Clients » Spam Freelancers
Page options
ee75aee2
Community Member

Spam Freelancers

I have posted two jobs today and I can see lots of spam freelancers.

They said they are from Canada or Euorpean country but all of them are fake.

They used fake photo - same of them are using popular actor's photo.

The serious problem is they are using auto bidding system.

I posted two jobs but same scammers applied with same cover letter. 

Even they are boosting now.

UPWORK. YOU SHOULD STOP THEM.

How can I choose and hire freelancers from Upwork?

You should have id verification when they create the account.

15 REPLIES 15
abinadab-agbo
Community Member

You need not be surprised.

As I've mentioned repeatedly, these ones are being aided by Upwork, who generously reward with Connects freelancers who game the system.

These ones then proceed to use such Connects for spam.

lucioric
Community Member

And in the while, some honest freelancers without landong a project. I am from Mexico, live in Mexico and I say that, but I think that i am qualified, for work in backends in Python.

williamtcooper
Community Member

Hey Jances, please go to the Search bar on the top right of the screen and use the pulldown carrot and pick "Talent". Next, search for the best freelancers and give them an Invite. What percentage of the job submissions in your opinion were fake? Have a great day!

f74ed582
Community Member

Late the each user location be visible on their profile, so that we can know their location 

sajal36
Community Member

I think you are perfect hiring manager. You are able to differentiate between valid and fake proposal. You are also able to differentiate between scammer and genuine freelancer by identifying that they are presenting wrong location. I believe these are steps which are required to be followed to hire a right fit eligible freelancer. I can say Good job done as a hiring manager. Believe me finding the job is lot of hard work but getting the right freelancer is more tough than that and require good effort.

I think upwork do verify the Ids and location. Not sure how people escape through that process.

ee75aee2
Community Member

Upwork have the id verification after submitting proposal.

I am sure Upwork should have the id verification just after creating the account.

Scammers can bid with 50 connects by boosting proposal, can't they?

They can create the account lots and lots times.

That is true. Having that pre-requisite would likely reduce the effectiveness of creating fake accounts. But at the same time, it would also reduce the number of Connects purchased by some (not all) fake and poor accounts, which means a loss in Connects revenue for Upwork.

I and many others think that the reduction in Connects revenue would be more than counter-balanced by an increase in Client spending. But we don't make the decisions for anybody but ourselves. So we don't know how this will play out in 2023.

b8b80eb0
Community Member

You should use the invite option.

ee75aee2
Community Member

Or you can add id verified badge on the listing.

a9e4b2a2
Community Member

Hello Jances R. I know Time is so precious to everyone. Could you please have a look at my PROFILE?

5b6b8aff
Community Member

A client should take enough time while choosing candidates. 

An incomplete VERIFIED profile is trash compared to a Completed NON-VERIFIED Profile!!

f1ecd428
Community Member

Can clients report those profiles? That'd be helpful for everyone, clients and geniune freelancers looking for work.

Any freelancer profile can be reported by clients and other Upwork users.

Freelancer profiles have a "Flag as inappropriate" link button. Sometimes one needs to click on the "Three Dots" icon to access the menu option.

timefighter11
Community Member

Upwork verifies the freelancer when they make account. But it's one time only, so may be later they can change the profile picture without being reviewed by Upwork. A limit on changing the profile picture or there should be a verification system after each profile picture change. 

Also, another good option is using invites. 

ebb9f1d9
Community Member

Hi, Jances

Sorry to hear about such scamming. If you come across any freelancers who are engaging in any type of scam, please report them, so the Upwork community can be able to take strict action against them. Such freelancers are creating a bad image for all freelancers. Like other freelancers, I have been scammed by three clients in various ways, and I have gone to support and filed a dispute against them so that they cannot scam other newbies on this platform.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths