cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The problem with "hire multiple freelancers for a small test"...

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
1 of 9

...is how do you choose if they all do a really great job? I have a large translation project of about 14,000 words, so I hried two freelancers to do a smaller, 220 word job as a test. They both did a really great job, quick and to a high standard. So now I have to choose one and reject the other and I feel bad for rejecting one Smiley Sad

Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
2 of 9

Ah, the age old problem of being the hiring manager. It's never fun having to turn someone down. but maybe leaving great feedback and keeping that freelancer in mind for future work will make you both feel better. 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
3 of 9

Hire them both for 7000 words each.

Community Guru
4 of 9

Melissa, that's exactly what I'm going to do, yeah.

Nichola, I thought about doing that and if I had an urgent need to get the project done quickly I probably would. But that could lead to inconsistencies in tone and terms used. I prefer to try to stick with one freelancer if I can, for consistency.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 9

LOL.

Thanks for sharing this.

It's definitely a better problem to face than what we often see, which goes something like this (hypothetical) situation:

"I paid $4,000 to this web developer to create my website but now he has disappeared. He locked me out of my my website, has not delivered any source code files, and customer support says there is nothing they can do. The site doesn't even work."

[And I wonder to myself: Why did you pay so much money to a single individual without seeing any results? If you had hired more than one person, you would have noticed after a few days that some developers were making progress on the project, and one of the developers was just making excuses and costing you money.]

Community Guru
6 of 9

Preston, you were a partial inspiration for me doing this project this way (although I have used a similar technique in the past, when I've had several high-quality freelancers apply and not been able to decide between them).

In the end, I realised I had another smaller project of about 4000 words that I'd been putting off for a while because it wasn't urgent. But I figured I may as well use the opportunity and award that one to the "runner up" (so to speak). So it mitigated some of my guilt Smiley Happy

I have to say that it's actually very rare for me to have trouble with freelancers here on Upwork. Maybe paying a reasonable rate and being reasonable with deadlines helps?

Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
7 of 9

@Preston H wrote:

It's definitely a better problem to face than what we often see, which goes something like this (hypothetical) situation:

Preston, those are frauds.

If you check on the freelancer, know what you want and what you are doing, chances to run into this kind of situations are very low.

Testing multiple freelancers mainly serves one purpose ... verify the freelancer is genuine, specially if you hire someone with no working history.

Why do I need Upwork to hire if I have to pay tests to verify the freelancers authenticity? I can run paid tests with freelancers I find wherever and dont pay any commision fee.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 9

@Jennifer D wrote:

Melissa, that's exactly what I'm going to do, yeah.

Nichola, I thought about doing that and if I had an urgent need to get the project done quickly I probably would. But that could lead to inconsistencies in tone and terms used. I prefer to try to stick with one freelancer if I can, for consistency.

Absolutely right!

I've had to try and fix so many "patchwork translations" that I actually won't agree to do them any longer because they are invariably a nightmare, No matter how high the quality of the partial translations, there will be a marked and usually dramatic change in language, tone, feel and flow. Every person has a different "voice" and fixing a document that was created by different voices to be consistant takes almost as much time as editing word salad...

Then you have to explain to the poor client that you logged X hours because YES, all three translations that were patched together were actually by and in themselves pretty **bleep** good, but that the final result read like it was (well, DOH) written by 3 people and to make it work had to be fixed by deciding whose voice was the most suitable and adapting the remaining 2/3s accordingly.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 9

Claudia:

Upwork does not vet contractors or guarantee their abilities and professionalism. The information it provides can be immensely helpful, but there is no way to know for certain if a contractor will be a good fit for a project before hiring them.

I think it is good that you have faith in the quality of Upwork contractors. I think a large proportion of them are fantastic. But the reality is, there are a lot of fraudulent contractors and there are a lot of incompetent contractors, and there are great contractors whose personality does not mesh well with my project needs.

The larger the project, the more important it is to try out multiple contractors on a short term basis in order to minimize costs for the project and maximize the likelihood of success.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS