🐈
» Forums » Clients » When I posted a job how come someone found me...
Page options
ad76ab66
Community Member

When I posted a job how come someone found me on Skype

Hello, I am a little surprised about privacy. I posted a job and a company is now messaging me on Skype. Wondering where do I need to make changes in the setting so that they need to first contact me on Upwork only. Seems scary now. lol 

3 REPLIES 3
a_lipsey
Community Member

Abdul Fatir H wrote:

Hello, I am a little surprised about privacy. I posted a job and a company is now messaging me on Skype. Wondering where do I need to make changes in the setting so that they need to first contact me on Upwork only. Seems scary now. lol 

Hi Abdul, does the job post include the company name or any contact information? Sometimes if you mention your company's name, that is all some people need to try to circumvent the system and contact you outside. I agree that it's very unprofessional. If you know the freelancer's name or can get a link to their profile, you can report their profile or you can contact Customer Support to give them the information. 

Something to point out:

It is a violation of Upwork ToS for an Upwork user to look at job postings and then contact you through Skype or through any means other than official Upwork channels.

In fact, even if you hired a freelancer, it is a violation of Upwork ToS for a freelancer to ever contact you using any method that you do not intentionally provide them contact information for and give them permission to use to contact you. So if you want a freelancer you hire to communicate with you via Skype, that is completely fine. But if a freelancer looks up information about you and figures out your Skype handle and tries to contact you through Skype, that is a serious ToS violation.

Doing this is grounds for suspension or termination from the platform.

You are not required to... But if you want to, you may contact Upwork Customer Support and report these people. You could click on the name of a Forum Moderator and send them am a private message with the information about this incident.

PradeepH

Hello Abdul,

Thank you for reporting this to us. I'm sorry to hear that you are receiving communication outside of Upwork. Could you please click on my picture next to this post and send me a private message with more info so I could forward this to the appropriate team to review and take action?

Thank you.

Pradeep H.

Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths