cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Your company is allowing freelancers to steal very easily. I can prove this on skype screen shar

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
11 of 32

Hi Matt,

If you see any low activity or activity that's not related to the assignment in the Work Diary, you are able to dispute it during the review period. Please, check this help article for more information.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
12 of 32

I am sure all of us are sorry you have had a bad experience with your freelancer.

You need to remove your contact information, which is against the company's policy.

No contractor on this site is an 'employee'. We are all freelancers and we are paid per contract. Nor is this site teaching freelancers how to scam. Nor does the site permit people under the age of eighteen to have an account.

The site has terms and conditions (do read them when you have time). The site does its best to weed out fraudsters and dishonest account holders, but it is not responsible for the moral rectitude of its customers.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
13 of 32

Cesar, I'm sorry that you had what sounds like a disappointing experience with a contractor.

There are ways to make things work, and even ways to fix past problems. But if you want to accomplish anything you need you calm down and communicate clearly.

You appear to have a deep misunderstanding of what Upwork is and how it works. 90% of your post is filled with things that don't even pertain to the Upwork website, so there is not really a clear place to begin if one wanted to address your concerns.

Please feel free to post a clear question or statement here if you would like help or information.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Tim H Member Since: Jul 7, 2015
14 of 32

You can copy and paste a block of text and the Upwork time tracker will count each character as a keystroke (just one of Upworks fatally flawed mechanisms). That's how your developer was showing 27,000 keystrokes in 10 minutes.

The time tracker works as well as the rest of Upwork, like the JS metric (it doesn't).

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 32

And for the record, successful clients and project managers don't manage their projects by counting contractors' keystrokes. They examine the work submitted by the contractors and consider the value of that work relative to their needs and the value of work done by other contractors.

Successful clients are ready and willing to end contracts with poor-performing contractors and look for contractors who better fit their needs... Regardless of what the work diary screenshots show and regardless of numbers that show up in keystroke reports.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
16 of 32

What I'd like to know is that he seems to be saying "someone" is teaching freelancers "somewhere" how to game the system. That's the part I would like to have an explanation for.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
17 of 32

Same here Jean. I had just assumed it was said out of anger. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
18 of 32

Good grief. I thought I escaped the 9-5s that think a coder is only productive by the lines of code they do. Now we're measued in characters? Do my forum posts count? Cuz I'd be super coder.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
19 of 32

@Tim H wrote:

You can copy and paste a block of text and the Upwork time tracker will count each character as a keystroke (just one of Upworks fatally flawed mechanisms). That's how your developer was showing 27,000 keystrokes in 10 minutes.

No, it does not. This is complete and utter nonsense and just another ridiculous conspiracy theory thought up by someone and then relentlessly repeated by those without a critical thought. .

I was 99.99% sure it doesn't, and just tried it copy - pasting 26 000 words. See http://prntscr.com/8f4007

It did NOT count them as keystrokes AT ALL, just a few mouseclicks for copy and paste See http://prntscr.com/8f40zc

Highlighted
Community Guru
Cathleen C Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
20 of 32

"@Cathleen: As for the time tracker, I know clients can deny manually logged hours/screenshots. I'm not sure about the ones that are logged by the tracker itself. I've only ever worked one hourly job on here and honestly, I found the software at the time to be somewhat confusing. So I just don't do hourly jobs."

@Dawn: I have only worked one hourly job here as well, and I just entered manual hours...do not want to load a time tracker on my computer and give others access. I typically steer clear of hourly jobs, too.

But I would still like to know whether clients approve timesheets before they are paid. Or when the job is set up, do clients enter a max amount of hours for the week? It just seems like there should be some sort of check and balance for the cheating on time.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS