🐈
» Forums » Clients » copyright and sharing work
Page options
e397c959
Community Member

copyright and sharing work

My understanding is, as a client, once i've paid a freelancer, I own all rights to that work.

If i'm hiring a freelancer to edit pictures of me, does that mean that the freelancer cannot post those pictures of me on his website, upwork catalogue, socal media etc, because I own all the rights?

So only I can post those photos unless I specifically give someone else permission?

thank you

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Yes, that is 100% correct.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

Yes, that is 100% correct.

thank you 

Hello.

I have a quick question.

If someone sends me a photo, logo, portrait something like that for me to edit and i deliver the client the final result can i be held accountable for copywriting? I don't really understand this so i would really appreciate some guidance! Are there some photos i shouldn't be editing? I don't want to fall into legal trouble!

celgins
Community Member

If the client wants you to edit an item, the client should own the item. The client should only send you photos, logos, portraits, or any other products that they own or have a legal right to modify. For example, a client cannot send you the Nike logo and ask you to modify it because the Nike logo is a registered trademark owned by Nike.

The creator of a logo, portrait, or other creative work is not always easy to identify. I have edited photos, product packaging, logos, etc. for clients, but I knew 100% that the client owned them. If you are unsure who owns an item, you should get the client to confirm their ownership rights by documenting their terms of ownership in a legal document. A signed document is meant to protect you and the client.

Please keep in mind that I am not offering legal advice; rather, I'm offering ideas for business practices I've used in the past for similar situations. You should seek legal advice from a copyright lawyer for your specific situation.

a7c6f370
Community Member

Yes that's correct and ethical too.

As a graphic designer, I always seek client's permission before posting the work ( logo etc) publicly in my portfolio. 

tlsanders
Community Member

Yes, and not only for that reason. The freelancer also agrees to keep your materials confidential.

795f47ad
Community Member

As a photo editor my suggestion is If the photos hold personal significance for you, kindly inform the freelancer to ensure the preservation of their privacy. Many freelancers utilize clients' work for their portfolios and present it as part of their professional showcase.

asifsaad36
Community Member

I think there should be check from the upwork side that he or she could not be able to use these photographs on any other social media if it is important for the client not to disclose to anyone.

bef5ceae
Community Member

Yes, you are right 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths