cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advantages of making a lasting impression..

Highlighted
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
1 of 6

That time of day...where you just wake up, and switch on the laptop while making the coffee (still in your pj's). You squint at the screen because you left your glasses somewhere (not on the head, I remembered to look there first), and see...AHA!! Three messages!

Being far-sighted, you squint a little more...and see three of your regular clients want you to either do something or other for them, or want to know whether you can do something totally out of your acknowledged field (not that you don't know how, but you don't go putting ALL your skills on your profile...would be like saying you are a professional window washer.......with excellent skills in toilet-cleaning and gardening as well)...besides, everyone needs a little bit of mystery about them. Of course I am going to say...thanks for the work, mates..I appreciate it! And to the client who wants to know whether I will help their business out doing something other than editing their docs....I am going to say yes to that as well! I may be slightly rusty, and if I get stuck, it is called RESEARCH!

Now someone reading this might say: if it is not your recognised field, you should tell them to hire me...or Tom..or **bleep**...or Harry. The thing is this: what I have delivered is above what they expected, I have established a good working relationship with them, they want ME to do it (offering to show me HOW they want it done, specifically)...and that is the advantage of having gone the extra mile. You are remembered and seen as the 'go-to person' when they need someone.

If, however, they has said: Hey Irene I want you to write a program for us incorporating xyz with a abc interface and.....I would have said: "I would love to help you, but I would suggest that you find a professionally qualified person for the job. If you wish, I can assist you in finding such a person. I would need to know your exact specifications, however."   

Okay, first cup of coffee is down the gullet...I think it's time for some toast, a second coffee, a shower....and then the work day needs to start.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 6

Morning Irene,

I'm trying to get enough coffee into myself as well at the moment but yes, I know exactly what you mean. Building a fabulous relationship with wonderful clients is part of what I love best about this job about this way of life.

I have a fantastically nice client who can at times be just a tiiiiiny lil bit disorganised which can result in me having to drop things and get something done for her *NOW* -

This morning I woke up and saw a sizeable bonus with the remark "for being amazing and on-call all weekend"  totally unexpected and totally not needed, she pays me well anyway.

Made my day! Not because of the money, but because it makes ALL the difference to be appreciated!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Althea Maefe S Member Since: Nov 6, 2014
3 of 6

Is it safe to say that 75% of freelancers everywhere are powered by coffee? We should have a special discount from coffee shops. 

Nothing pleases me more than a regular client asking if I am free because they need someone who can do it fast and properly. Smiley Wink

Though most of the time, they pay a bit lower than my current clients, I still feel obliged because their feedbacks and projects on my profile helped me establish my upwork page.

If they are offering you the job even though there are experts out there who are obvious choices, it means they believe you can do it, it's not just your current skill or expertise they are going for, it may be your work ethic or they simply trust you. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 6

@ Althea

That is so true! There is another long-term, fixed rate job that is basically completed as well. The client contacted me, saying her boss does not want to close it right now, but instead, wants to talk to me personally via skype about a different job they have (on a possible hourly basis), and of a longer term than the one I have done for them. Now it is a question of waiting (due to differences in time) for them to come back to me so that we can set up the interview, as, if I DO get it, and the two of us DO click, I will be working with him directly. I have to say, I am quite excited, because although it is still within my field, it is a totally new direction for me, and I quite look forward to the (possible) challenge.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
5 of 6

I've had a fixed price contract where the client was so happy that he paid 50% extra as a bonus and kept the contract open in case he needs me to do something else for him. This was for forum moderating. A month later he asked me on Skype how I was with Illustrator. I told him that I had basic knowledge of the program because it was included in my studies at the university, but I was not worth hiring. I think this only made him trust me even more. A couple of weeks ago he asked me if I could do Facebook data mining. 

Now that, I can do, so of course I accepted. Smiley Happy

Honesty is the best policy. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 6

Honesty most certainly is, Hannah! And kudos to you! Well done!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS