🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Community Platform Updates, discussion
Page options
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Community Platform Updates, discussion

Hi all,

Many of you have seen and commented on Stan's announcement here. But I've also noticed that many of our most active Community members have posted their questions, thoughts and feedback about some of the recent Community platform updates here. I'm going to merge them here so that we can keep track of your comments about this topic, address your questions and share some of the smaller improvements that we're making. 

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork
52 REPLIES 52
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Guys, I've noticed a serious issue. The kudo counter is broken. We all know how important they are, right? 

My post has actually 102 kudos, which I think is a record that I should be rewarded for. Even if the subject is maybe not to upwork's liking, but hey, freedom of speech, right? So, where did they go? I'm missing 60 kudos. That is real value. I hope the number doesn't decrease further at the next kudo update. Anybody? Some help?

Screenshot 2021-10-19 142019.png

Hello Martina!

Martina P wrote:

Guys, I've noticed a serious issue. The kudo counter is broken. We all know how important they are, right? 

My post has actually 102 kudos, which I think is a record that I should be rewarded for. Even if the subject is maybe not to upwork's liking, but hey, freedom of speech, right? So, where did they go? I'm missing 60 kudos. That is real value. I hope the number doesn't decrease further at the next kudo update. Anybody? Some help?

Screenshot 2021-10-19 142019.png

There's a community forum, update going on again.

Community Platform Updates - October 2021 - Upwork Community

I love the vibe, "It's supposed to be broken, so we can fix...again, & again, & again..."

You've already got an Upwork mug - what more do you want?

Christine A wrote:

You've already got an Upwork mug - what more do you want?

Girl's getting greedy...

Hi Martina,

The kudo counter isn't broken. It's set to count kudos in the past 30 days, not all time. The settings didn't change so it's been like that for quite a while now.

Thank you for raising this concern. I'll share it with the rest of the team to consider updating the settings in the future.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Aleksandar D wrote:

Hi Martina,

The kudo counter isn't broken. It's set to count kudos in the past 30 days, not all time. The settings didn't change so it's been like that for quite a while now.

Thank you for raising this concern. I'll share it with the rest of the team to consider updating the settings in the future.

Thank you Alexander, I'm glad to see you took my concern as seriously as I intended. No need to share with the team, though. They are busy enough. 

Where do the dead kudos go when their 30 days are up?

Robert Y wrote:

Where do the dead kudos go when their 30 days are up?

Excellent question. Kudo heaven? 

BTW that community forum update - there are 4 comments, but we can't see them.

(?)

Hi Nichola,

Are you referring to this post:

Screenshot from October 19, 2021 4_52 PM.png

If you click "Read more..." or on the title of the post, you'll be able to see the full post and all the comments. 
Let me know if you're referring to something else. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Nichola,

If you click "Read more..." or on the title of the post, you'll be able to see the full post and all the comments. 

But we are not able to add comments of our own. Very smooth move on UW's part, I must say. 

Phyllis. Michael and others, 

That should be fixed now and you should be able to see  comments on that post and add new ones.

We've moved and updated quite a lot in the past few days, so it's possible there are some issues here and there. We're fixing them quickly though. There are more updates to come.
If you come across anything odd or any broken links, please let us know. You can send me a PM or you can just use the flag option to quickly report it to our team. 

I know many of you visit the Community a lot and us changing things around may be frustrating. Please, bear with us though. We're doing it to make the experience better for everybody.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Will we no longer be able to respond to comments in Announcements?
Just comments to OP?

Thanks, Valeria.

BTW, change per se is not a problem. I doubt anyone could succeed long as a freelancer without thriving on change and being adaptable. What makes many of us roll our eyes is UW's habit of launching changes without adequate testing and de-bugging. Few, if any, of us could get away with saying I know this is buggy/inaccurate/incomplete/clumsy but I'm doing it really fast and I promise I'll fix it all eventually. I don't expect this to change but I think it's fair to let UW know what the experience is like from the FL side of the interface.

Well, I don't care since I'm apparently #7 all time for kudos.  Bless my little heart.

I just wish somebody would kudo my post that I'm #7 all time kudo recipient.  Sniff.

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Nichola,

Nope. Comments don't show in either Chrome or Safari.

By the way, it might have been nice to forward from the old announcement thread links, rather than dumping us into a garish error page (another comment for Stan, since I can''t make them on the blog).

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Nichola,

Nope. Comments don't show in either Chrome or Safari.

By the way, it might have been nice to forward from the old announcement thread links, rather than dumping us into a garish error page (another comment for Stan, since I can''t make them on the blog).

This should be fixed for you now to post comments (fingers crossed). We'll also get proper redirects setup from the old section (Should be working in a few minutes!)

@Martina - You can view the Kudos leaderboard here, you can view it by different lengths of time including all time! https://community.upwork.com/t5/kudos/leaderboardpage/timerange/one_day/tab/authors

2e395a62
Community Member

You can easily buy kudos on UpWork - they sell them in bundles, I think 20 kudos on Freelancer forum cost 30 connects, while the same amount on Coffee Break cost 100 connects. There are rumors about some sort of promotion for Xmas, but it's not yet confirmed. 

Piotr O wrote:

You can easily buy kudos on UpWork - they sell them in bundles, I think 20 kudos on Freelancer forum cost 30 connects, while the same amount on Coffee Break cost 100 connects. There are rumors about some sort of promotion for Xmas, but it's not yet confirmed. 

Totally reasonable to have a sliding pay scale for kudos, since their value depends on area. I don't see how the coffee break kudos should cost more, though, since posts in that area might not be that serious, or even intended to be humorous. Hmmm...... 

I've decided that I'm going to create an NFT for my kudos. 

The bidding should start at around $100k. 

Did anybody see that group of UGH, new kudos standing around wanting attention?

The nerve of some kudos. What's this world coming to?

Woodrow Q wrote:

The nerve of some kudos. What's the world coming to?

They'll be asking for handouts soon ... 

Nichola L wrote:

Woodrow Q wrote:

The nerve of some kudos. What's the world coming to?

They'll be asking for handouts soon ... 

Can we boost kudos? 🤔

"I'll gladly trade 5 connects for a kudo..."

Can we use kudos playing poker? 🤔

"I see your kudos and raise you by 10 kudos..."

Can we upload kudos to our profile? 🤔

"Let's see, I've used kudos before for another gig..."

Were you one of those mean kudos kids? 🤔

"Ewwweeee! Don't touch me! You'vvvvveeee got KUDOS!"

Martina P wrote:

don't see how the coffee break kudos should cost more, though, since posts in that area might not be that serious, or even intended to be humorous. Hmmm...... 

That's obvious: kudos on Freelancer's forum confirm that we excel in solving operational problems of other fellow freelancers. Kudos here evidently confirm that we are pure geniuses, ready to save the world and populate it with our bespoke, genuine thoughts 😉 😉 😉 Hence much higher price for kudos here 🙂

Piotr O wrote:

Martina P wrote:

don't see how the coffee break kudos should cost more, though, since posts in that area might not be that serious, or even intended to be humorous. Hmmm...... 

That's obvious: kudos on Freelancer's forum confirm that we excel in solving operational problems of other fellow freelancers. Kudos here evidently confirm that we are pure geniuses, ready to save the world and populate it with our bespoke, genuine thoughts 😉 😉 😉 Hence much higher price for kudos here 🙂

You are making a ton of sense! They must be the most expensive kudos!

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Screenshot 2021-11-01 10.21.36 AM.png

Oh, oh, yes, I say that too! I want to go there and post and say first, like a desperate youtube commenter! Can I pretty please?

Hi Phyllis and Martina,

You should see a new post there now and be able to comment on it. As we announce new features and updates in the future, you'll see even more in that section.
As Stan mentioned earlier here, moving forward we'll be creating a separate forum post to allow for comments, feedback and questions about new announcements. The announcement itself will be closed for commenting, with an exception of updates posted by Upwork team members. That way, we'll make sure official updates aren't lost among other comments and are easily discoverable. We will still be addressing questions and collecting input from the Community in the Feedback section.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Phyllis and Martina,

You should see a new post there now and be able to comment on it. As we announce new features and updates in the future, you'll see even more in that section.
As Stan mentioned earlier here, moving forward we'll be creating a separate forum post to allow for comments, feedback and questions about new announcements. The announcement itself will be closed for commenting, with an exception of updates posted by Upwork team members. That way, we'll make sure official updates aren't lost among other comments and are easily discoverable. We will still be addressing questions and collecting input from the Community in the Feedback section.

Ehh ... I think this is all getting a bit complicated, isn't it?

Maria T wrote:

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Phyllis and Martina,

Ehh ... I think this is all getting a bit complicated, isn't it?

The one which is not allowed comments is to show a little Upwork muscle. New ideas and roll outs are cut in stone (sometimes porous like the wildly successful connects scheme). 

The one which is allowed comments is so that all the staff on Upwork can chuck us peanuts and popcorn  while they enjoy our rants and raves.  

Do you Upwork guys actually get paid for this stuff?  Just askin' ... 

Thanks for sharing your feedback, Maria. I respectfully disagree. I believe it's been very difficult for us to highlight most relevant updates and responses to most frequent questions in the comment section under announcements. This results in Community members missing important information and having to ask same questions over and over again. Separating the announcement and official updates from the comment section is something we have actually done in the past and what many similar Communities successfully do as well. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

Thanks for sharing your feedback, Maria. I respectfully disagree. I believe it's been very difficult for us to highlight most relevant updates and responses to most frequent questions in the comment section under announcements. This results in Community members missing important information and having to ask same questions over and over again. Separating the announcement and official updates from the comment section is something we have actually done in the past and what many similar Communities successfully do as well. 

I respectfully disagree with your respectful response Smiley Wink
Just kidding.
Is that seems to me that dispersing things makes it more difficult to follow them.
But, hey, I don't take your reason. I don't know much about other forums as this is almost the only one I follow.

I understand the rationale for separating the announcement from feedback about the announcement. Now that you mention it, I vaguely recall something about it but earlier, the "Feedback" page completely mystified me. What confused me is the grayed-out New Topic button. IMO there should be an explanatory post pinned to the top of the page. 

Phyllis, I understand. That section of the Community went live less than an hour before first thread was opened there and you caught it just in timeWoman Happy

One of the things we're working on though is making it clear what each section of the Community is for. So hopefully in the future we don't have confusing situations like this. 

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork

I found this thread (or non-thread) by using the search function. But when I clicked on it a message came up saying: "You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action".

Who is the parent, by the way?

Hi Robert,

Just to clarify, did you get that error when trying to view this thread? Or you're referring to some other thread? If you still have a link to the page where you got the error, could you please share it with me? We'll check. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Valeria. I put "feedback" into the Community Discussions searchbox and and a link to a thread on feedback with zero posts came up. When I clicked on it I got this.

Access Denied - Upwork Community

Thanks for the link, Robert. It should be fixed going forward and pages that aren't accessible shouldn't be indexed in search. (It may take up to 48 hours for cache to catch up)

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths