🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Community Platform Updates, discussion
Page options
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Community Platform Updates, discussion

Hi all,

Many of you have seen and commented on Stan's announcement here. But I've also noticed that many of our most active Community members have posted their questions, thoughts and feedback about some of the recent Community platform updates here. I'm going to merge them here so that we can keep track of your comments about this topic, address your questions and share some of the smaller improvements that we're making. 

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork
52 REPLIES 52
wescowley
Community Member

Is it just me, or does clicking into a forum thread no longer take you to the first unread post?

Wes C wrote:

Is it just me, or does clicking into a forum thread no longer take you to the first unread post?

Wes,

I don't believe anything was changed in that regard. That's actually a setting each Community member controls in My Settings> Preferences> Linear Layout. There is a checkbox for "Jump to first unread post in a topic."

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

Wes C wrote:

Wes,

I don't believe anything was changed in that regard. That's actually a setting each Community member controls in My Settings> Preferences> Linear Layout. There is a checkbox for "Jump to first unread post in a topic."

Thanks, Valeria. I did verify that's still checked, and since I posted that it seems to be working sporadically. I'll update if I can figure out any pattern. 

StanG
Community Manager
Community Manager

We'll likely move this into it's own topic or article in time, but as some members may enjoy learning about the enhancements we're making in Community, we'll keep this updated as we roll out changes. We love the feedback and suggestions, so please keep it coming.

11/5/2021 Updates

• :newspaper: Text editor (TinyMCE) has been updated to the latest version in our Community Platform.  You'll see some slight variations in the layout, but functionally it should work the same (better actually). It's a more modern editor, that supports what many have come to expect such as pasting images directly into a post, the ability to more easily resize content/images, and some updated Emojis 😎
  • :left_right_arrow: Search has been added to the top of all sections in Community.
  • :shortcake: We've unhid the  "Private Stats" component on your Community profile. This is only visible to the individual user logged in. It's a quick summary of your Community activity.
  • :bird: Minor styling fixes throughout Community

Stan wrote (copied as there is no quote available)

We'll likely move this into it's own topic or article in time, but as some members may enjoy learning about the enhancements we're making in Community, we'll keep this updated as we roll out changes. We love the feedback and suggestions, so please keep it coming.

11/5/2021 Updates

• colettelewis_0-1636150341998.png

Text editor (TinyMCE) has been updated to the latest version in our Community Platform.  You'll see some slight variations in the layout, but functionally it should work the same (better actually). It's a more modern editor, that supports what many have come to expect such as pasting images directly into a post, the ability to more easily resize content/images, and some updated Emojis colettelewis_1-1636150342001.png

• colettelewis_2-1636150342005.png

Search has been added to the top of all sections in Community.
  • colettelewis_3-1636150342009.png

We've unhid the  "Private Stats" component on your Community profile. This is only visible to the individual user logged in. It's a quick summary of your Community activity.
  • colettelewis_4-1636150342012.png

Minor styling fixes throughout Community

I cannot really see the point in deliberately breaking something that worked perfectly well. As to the  profiles. I object. I really object. 

Nichola L wrote:

Stan wrote (copied as there is no quote available)

The quote option is now hidden on the "..." menu, which is unfortunate since it's really the most important option in the forum editor.

Nichola L wrote:

I cannot really see the point in deliberately breaking something that worked perfectly well. As to the  profiles. I object. I really object. 

Thanks for your feedback, Nichola. However, it wasn't working perfectly well. A lot of functionality has been missing or outdated. Myself and our team of moderators are posting in this Community every day just like many of you. Many of these improvements are going to make lives of everybody who's posting in these forums easier. An ability to drag an drop an image alone is worth a lot since we often need to share screenshots with each other when discussing various features. 

Also, could you please elaborate why you object to being able to see more information about your activity on your Community profile? That information is private and is only visible to you. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
colettelewis
Community Member

I know I must be particularly dense, but I still haven't the faintest idea how the forum "Feedback" section works.  So please could someone point me in the right direction. At the moment it just seems to be a complete waste of time.  

For example in "Discussions" Stan writes a completely incomprehensible post entitled "Moderator Contact".  

Please Upwork could you stop making things so complicated and so time-wasting.  But perhaps I am the only one who finds this so frustrating? 

ETA: And another thing: It used to be when you posted something on the forums, you were able to immediately return to the post once you had submitted it. This is no longer the case - so more clicks and time wasting. 

You're not dense. Upwork has made everything difficult for Freelancers, by policy. In particular, it imposes out-of-date "security" delays on payment, and seems to have shucked off the Freelancer UX development to 'bots.

Hi Nichola,

I understand we're changing some areas of the Community and it may be confusing that the Feedback area doesn't have much content yet. However, as I mentioned in my response here, moving forward the Feedback section will house threads where the Community members can ask questions and share feedback about new features and updates we announce here.

That way those discussions and feedback will be in the same place and easy to track for Community members and for our Product team. At the same time, when we need to provide a follow up to an announcement, we'll post it right below it so it's clearly visible and doesn't get lost among other comments (just like Mike did here.)

The two threads we currently have there about most recent announcements have been closely monitored by me and our Product team. Some improvements are already being made based on feedback shared there by users. So I'd disagree that it's a waste of time. 

You shouldn't be seeing the post by Stan you were referring to. It was a test post. If you still do, please let me know.

For the latter question about returning automatically to the post, that I believe you're referring to, you should still be able to accomplish this - See the "Show confirmation pages for posts" checkbox in your settings.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria wrote (now we have to copy/paste everything as Upwork has killed the "quote"):

Hi Nichola,

I understand we're changing some areas of the Community and it may be confusing that the Feedback area doesn't have much content yet. However, as I mentioned in my response here, moving forward the Feedback section will house threads where the Community members can ask questions and share feedback about new features and updates we announce here.

That way those discussions and feedback will be in the same place and easy to track for Community members and for our Product team. At the same time, when we need to provide a follow up to an announcement, we'll post it right below it so it's clearly visible and doesn't get lost among other comments (just like Mike did here.)

The two threads we currently have there about most recent announcements have been closely monitored by me and our Product team. Some improvements are already being made based on feedback shared there by users. So I'd disagree that it's a waste of time. 

You shouldn't be seeing the post by Stan you were referring to. It was a test post. If you still do, please let me know.

For the latter question about returning automatically to the post, that I believe you're referring to, you should still be able to accomplish this - See the "Show confirmation pages for posts" checkbox in your settings.

~ Valeria
colettelewis_0-1636150668127.png

Where is is this and why so complicated?  What happened to the little message  that you could simply click and go back to the post? I do not see "show confirmation pages for posts". 

Valeria could you please tell me where to find these unintelligible settings you kindly provided a link to. And why do I have to go there simply to return to something I have just posted. 

Nichola L wrote:

Where is is this and why so complicated?  What happened to the little message  that you could simply click and go back to the post? I do not see "show confirmation pages for posts". 

Nichola, just to clarify, are you referring to this feature - a message that appears right after you post asking if you'd like to jump to the comment you just posted?

Screenshot from November 6, 2021 9_10 AM.png

You can access your Settings by clicking on  your name in the upper right corner here in the Community and select "Settings" in the drop down that appears.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths