🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: DMCA made easy
Page options
wendy_writes
Community Member

DMCA made easy

The link is to a DMCA service that is highly recommended by an artist pal who has had work stolen and fought the same battles we all have in getting unauthorized (stolen) work removed from websites.

http://www.dmca.com/

7 REPLIES 7
bobafett999
Community Member

I believe the web hosts take these notices very seriously.

This is a paid for service - and not cheap. There's no need to spend money. It's easy to issue a notice yourself and there are numerous templates and guides to be had on the web if you're not sure where to start.

Kim, 

1. yes- there is a fee

2. according to the artists who recommend the site,  it seems it is easier for writers to deal with DMCA demands than it is for those in the visual arts arena.

Hope this clarifies -

Being an artist myself it's fairly simple to protect your art.

Upload resolutions that are entirely useless for prints and whatsoever, if someone pants to earn money from your art all they can do is to do so with awful quality.

I already had some guy posting my art, claiming to be "my brother" and whatnot. End-result was it became hot on reddit and I got hundreds of followers and job leads.

It took the internet about 10 minutes to find out who the "real artist" is.

While that guy got all the hate for faking, i messaged him a thank you for all the publicity I got  and that he may steal as often as he want to.

LOL - many many times    "While that guy got all the hate for faking, i messaged him a thank you for all the publicity I got  and that he may steal as often as he want to."

versailles
Community Member

@Aron H wrote:

Being an artist myself it's fairly simple to protect your art.

Upload resolutions that are entirely useless for prints and whatsoever, if someone pants to earn money from your art all they can do is to do so with awful quality.

I already had some guy posting my art, claiming to be "my brother" and whatnot. End-result was it became hot on reddit and I got hundreds of followers and job leads.

It took the internet about 10 minutes to find out who the "real artist" is.

While that guy got all the hate for faking, i messaged him a thank you for all the publicity I got  and that he may steal as often as he want to.

Lol that 🙂

Unfortunately, writers have no such recourse. There is no way to publish a lower-quality version of your content when you're a writer.

Well, now that I'm thinking, some writers actually can. They just have to publish their content. But I digress...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Rene K wrote:

Unfortunately, writers have no such recourse. There is no way to publish a lower-quality version of your content when you're a writer.

Well Rene, yes you have.  Think out of box. 

You literally can create a FREE website on your own.  It does not have to be pretty, but you can post your writing on that website - hide the page.  If you have your content stolen, just send a link to your page to the host of the offending party and it should work.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths