🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Does Upwork still have a reputation of being ...
Page options
aziz_92
Community Member

Does Upwork still have a reputation of being a ** in 2020?

I am asking this because I've had two recent experiences that sort of begged this question. 

A potential client invited me recently to a project here on upwork; I accepted and left the same hourly rate on the proposal as it was on my profile. I assumed since he invited me, he saw my profile and was aware of the rate. Turns out, that was true. He invites me and then proceeds to drag me into this hour long conversation about how I should lower my rate (to a fraction of my usualy rate) to work for him. I told him no, the rate he wants is not only lower than what's on my profile but it's also insulting. I'd be making more flipping burgers at McDonalds. He goes on a rant about how "This is Upwork, it's suppose to be cheap!!!" among other things (such as giving me unasked advice on tax evasion so i can 'save' more in the hourly rate he is offering me). Sigh. Anyways, i ignored him after a while, but what stood out to me was his impression that Upwork is suppose to be a cheap place.

Then, not long after, I went to a coworking place and introduce myself to a few developers there. I mentioned that I get a good percentage of my work from Upwork. A couple of them sort of frowned and made a weird face when they heard me mentioning Upwork. One of them said "Oh dude, I tried that place a few years ago, some guy wanted me to make a full fledged app for like 500 bucks" in a very condescending/patronizing tone. Anyways, I was not interested in pursing the topic at that time so I didn't really say much after that.

Do you guys have similar experiences when you mention that you work on Upwork?  Why do people still see it as such? And is that perspective changing? What do you think Upwork can do to change that image?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

6 REPLIES 6
yitwail
Community Member

Aziz, you should have told the client if you want cheaper, go to site that starts with five and rhymes with diver. (I can’t name the site because it will be edited)

As to condescending developers, who cares what they think? It’s less competition for you.

It really depends who I talk to - fellow freelancers who do market themselves at the price they're worth?  They like it as much as I do.

Cheapskates? Well it's on them to say yes to a cheap site for that matter then. Aziz, let them. You probably have come further than them . Good luck!

PS: Well fitting for 1st April, John ;)!

iamjomz
Community Member

I still find Upwork to be the best out there in getting you long term clients and how you negotiate with your price is totally up to you. Yes, there are more platforms out there that works the same way but with Upwork, you'll know that when you're here, you are the best of the best. Plus, know you're worth when you're negotiating with clients. I'm sure there are clients out there who are still willing to pay for out of this world hrly/project fees. 

Don't you think these people are sourgraping for not making it to to Upwork? I think so. hehe

Jomarie L wrote:

I still find Upwork to be the best out there in getting you long term clients and how you negotiate with your price is totally up to you. Yes, there are more platforms out there that works the same way but with Upwork, you'll know that when you're here, you are the best of the best. Plus, know you're worth when you're negotiating with clients. I'm sure there are clients out there who are still willing to pay for out of this world hrly/project fees. 

Don't you think these people are sourgraping for not making it to to Upwork? I think so. hehe

I think all this started way back - when some sites were a lot better than others in terms of better paying clients. The dynamic has completely changed over the years but reputations take a long time to polish up again. And I agree with Jomarie, a lot of it could also be sour grapes. 

I don't know...

It is a marketplace.

I can go to my local grocery store.

I can buy alfalfa sprouts and kale there. The store had a reputation for healthy food.

I can buy day-old donuts and Cocoa Puffs cereal there.

The store has a reputation for unhealthy junk food.

But it's the same marketplace.

Yep, that's what I thought. Reputation is difficult to change and it sticks for a while.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths