🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Fishies... many pretty fishies...
Page options
petra_r
Community Member

Fishies... many pretty fishies...

In my newly remodelled kitchen there is some free wall-space (Thanks to the wonders of having more than enough cupboard space now to put everything (including the cats) away neatly, so I have decided that I really really REALLY want a fishtank.

I've always kept fish on and off, and spent every free minute (all 12 of them lol) last week thinking what I want to do.

Torn between Marine (expensive, delicate, unforgiving but supremely beautiful) or a classic (amazon style) tropical tank or a lake cichlid setup (would suit the naturally somewhat harder tapwater)

Anyone else keep fishies? For context - fishies will live to the left of the cat-unit 🙂

3.jpg

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Oh, it was awesome. We actually built the tank into the front desk of the business we had, I miss it everyday. I don't miss the daily maintenance, but I miss those fish! They all had such great personalities. One of my favorites was the engineer goby we had. They look like little eels and they make tunnels in the sand by filling their mouths with it then spitting it out. Seriously one of the most amusing things I have ever witnessed. 

Unfortunately all the good pictures of the tank are on an old phone somewhere, however I did find these from when we were in the process of building the desk around it.  Not the best pictures in the world, but you can get a pretty good idea of what we had going on. 

photo Fishtank2_zps2m2vqwxw.jpg photo fish_tank1_zpsyajnaiir.jpg

I love those fish you picked out! Praying that your tank arrives in one piece too, that would be such a nightmare to have it show up busted X_x

View solution in original post

77 REPLIES 77
holymell
Community Member

Are those cubbies cat-shaped?!

Your work space is amazing. Mine is a desk set between my couch and my loveseat. We have two free rooms, but if I left, I'd never see my partner.

And I can't answer your question, I just want to know where to get those cubbies.
petra_r
Community Member

@Melissa C wrote:
1) Are those cubbies cat-shaped?!

2) Your work space is amazing. Mine is a desk set between my couch and my loveseat. We have two free rooms, but if I left, I'd never see my partner.

And I can't answer your question, I just want to know where to get those cubbies.

1) They are 🙂 They're plywood boxes covered inside and out in synthetic fur and have cushions in them. They are designed to work with Ikea shelving systems (fit them perfectly). My cats adooooore them

Baby and LyncaBaby and Lynca

In the US you can get something similar on Amazon but they are rather more pricey than what I paid.

2) That's not my workspace, that's just the kitchen laptop. Those chairs are not comfy for more than a couple of hours...

smason3
Community Member

Petra,

I don't have specific information for you, but I do edit the blog for fishlab.com. This man knows his stuff, and I'm sure he would be willing to answer specific questions. And, he's humorous! 

He has a wealth of information, and his writing is fun. When you get your tank up and functioning, he might have answers to some of the problems that you may experience.

If you reach out to him, he might have specific advice for you.

Samantha

petra_r
Community Member

@Samantha M wrote:

Petra,

I don't have specific information for you, but I do edit the blog for fishlab.com.

Ohhhh, nice site 🙂 Reading! Thanks!

I am not new to keeping fish, done so most of my life. Love watching them, so calming (when they are not jumping out of the tank or some such nonsense)

smason3
Community Member

I think you will like his sense of humor!

allergywriter
Community Member

I would set up an aquaponic herb garden using artificial lights. That way you can have fish and fresh herbs. That means freshwater fish. But they are pretty

@Cheryl K wrote:

I would set up an aquaponic herb garden using artificial lights. That way you can have fish and fresh herbs. That means freshwater fish. But they are pretty

That sounds intriguing! Problem is that I would want to EAT the herbs and it's next to the cat unit and I am just thinking what would happen if one of them thought this was a litter box.... Ammonia spike in tank and everything dead I suspect...

I keep my herbs in hanging baskets for that very reason 😉

Great idea in principle because of the bilogical filtration etc.

But... cats.

Is hydroton available in Italy? Your cats might not see hydroton as litter. Or maybe chatahoochee gravel. Outside, my cats never did any business in the catachoochee gravel in the backyard. Maybe your inside cats wouldn't think chatahoochee gravel is litter. But you are right, the ammonia would cause a spike once the system was balanced.

BTW when I had many aquaponic systems, I hated to lose fish while establishing the nitrogen cycle so I always cycled with ammonia and then once the system was cycled I added the fish.

@Cheryl K wrote:

Is hydroton available in Italy? Your cats might not see hydroton as litter. Or maybe chatahoochee gravel. Outside, my cats never did any business in the catachoochee gravel in the backyard. Maybe your inside cats wouldn't think chatahoochee gravel is litter. But you are right, the ammonia would cause a spike once the system was balanced.

BTW when I had many aquaponic systems, I hated to lose fish while establishing the nitrogen cycle so I always cycled with ammonia and then once the system was cycled I added the fish.

My cats are indoor / outdoor, and every cat I ever had loved lying on the fishtank so my poor herbs would be flattened (and full of fur lol)

I'll also be cycling fishless. Hate the stress an in-fish cycle puts them under. I want to have every pet shop employee who sells a tank and tells people to "put this (expensive liquid) in the water and come back tomorrow for the fish" on trial for animal cruelty!

Petra -- Are you QUITE sure that fish will "live" for long when placed next to the CAT unit...?

@Janean L wrote:

Petra -- Are you QUITE sure that fish will "live" for long when placed next to the CAT unit...?

They tend to only fall in it once 😉

Per cat, that is.

Update:

I gave up the dream of a marine set-up - I simply don't have the discipline and attention to detail to keep messing with mixing salt and all the maintenance. I have enough experience to keep a well run-in tropical set-up going with the odd occasion of forgetting a water change etc without everything floating upside down.

Plus, a lid on a marine tank is (generally) not a great idea and "no lid" would indeed be an issue with the cats.

"Save Nemo" would be far more challenging when "Nemo" is being carried away by kitty.

So I've ordered a bow fronted tank on a unit, they are to arrive next week and then it'll be all the fun of aqua-scaping and planting while the thing cycles. Will take pics as I go along!

🙂

FISHIES! SO EXCITED!!

That is so exciting! 

We use to have a 180 gallon saltwater tank and the maintenance was craaaazy to keep up with. Although they are beautiful and the colors are amazing, I think you're making the smarter choice for sure. 

Can't wait to see pictures, this post definitely makes me miss my fish! 

@Brittany J wrote:

We use to have a 180 gallon saltwater tank and the maintenance was craaaazy to keep up with. Although they are beautiful and the colors are amazing, I think you're making the smarter choice for sure.

180 gallon marine tank must have been soooooo gorgeous. Post a pic if you have one!

I had a freshwater tank that size back in the UK, loved it!

I did have a professional come in twice a month and do most of the maintenance though... and that was a freshwater, not even a marine!

Frankly if I had the space I'd go for a bigger tank too, alas, I don't, so the 180 liter will have to do! Luckily the fish I like aren't very big (So far planning a significant shoal of Cardinal Tetra, some German Rams etc... peaceful, small fish that create a flurry of colour)

Cardinal TetraCardinal Tetra  Ram CichlidRam Cichlid

Obviously some way off adding any fish at all. If I am really lucky the tank might get to me by end of the week and not be broken in transit, then planting and cycling.... 3 weeks minimum I guess although I have cycled tanks in 2 weeks before.

Oh, it was awesome. We actually built the tank into the front desk of the business we had, I miss it everyday. I don't miss the daily maintenance, but I miss those fish! They all had such great personalities. One of my favorites was the engineer goby we had. They look like little eels and they make tunnels in the sand by filling their mouths with it then spitting it out. Seriously one of the most amusing things I have ever witnessed. 

Unfortunately all the good pictures of the tank are on an old phone somewhere, however I did find these from when we were in the process of building the desk around it.  Not the best pictures in the world, but you can get a pretty good idea of what we had going on. 

photo Fishtank2_zps2m2vqwxw.jpg photo fish_tank1_zpsyajnaiir.jpg

I love those fish you picked out! Praying that your tank arrives in one piece too, that would be such a nightmare to have it show up busted X_x

petra_r
Community Member

I'll be using this thread as a kind of "aquarium diary" so if (as I hope) the tank gets delivered Friday we're on day minus 5.

Tank is ordered, as are main accessories such as the planting medium, the plants, main deco items (pieces of root / driftwood etc) which will come from Germany (Dennerle)

I am going to supplement the main (effective but boring) lighting that comes with the tank with two Philips Hue LED striplights. One will be fitted directly into the lid at the back, and one will be used to uplight the back of the tank from the outside. There will be a foil fitted to the back of the tank to diffuse the light somewhat and hide the wall (and cables etc)

The Hue system can be programmed to simulate sunrises / sunsets and / or just about any colour / colour sequence and is controlled via apps on the iPhone / iPad.

The back of the tank will be quite densely planted so the backlighting will create nice bits of subtle light and shades, and also emphasize the tall plants moving with the flow.

At least that's the plan... As with all best laid plans it would appear that it's gonna get a bit messy and that the plants are going to arrive before the tank, despite coming all the way from Germany... SIGH.

moutcom
Community Member

Hi Petra,

today I found the dreamland for your kitties ... Moooooore pretty fishies

aquarium.jpg

--We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Mother Teresa
boshoffirene
Community Member

I had a marine tank, two enormous chiclid tanks, and a few smaller ones for breeding (guppies)...made a ton of money breeding those little rainbow fish!

Not sure about the space you have available, but because of the hard water, I would go with Malawi chiclids. They tend to live together quite easily...and are rather easy to care for as well. Just keep their final size in mind, though.

And.....just realised this thread has been up a while.

Oh well. But about my fish...sold the lot of them when we moved from one province to another a few years back. These days my fish-keeping is limited to a small 30-litre tank in my bedroom...with a few crayfish, one humungous snail called speedy, and a few random, small fishies. 

@Irene B wrote:

Not sure about the space you have available, but because of the hard water, I would go with Malawi chiclids. They tend to live together quite easily...and are rather easy to care for as well. Just keep their final size in mind, though.

The tank is a 180 liter Juwel Vision 180 (The one with the bowed front.) I was playing with the idea of Lake chichlids, but I really wanted planted, and I dislike big fish, I'd much rather have lots of small ones creating movement and colour.

I've had lake cichlids before and might have gone for a set-up with small lake tanganyika cichlids, but in the end (and finding that my water isn't actually that hard and that the local fish-shop owner runs his amazonian set-up on tapwater and even keeps discus alive without Reverse Osmosis water,) decided to go for the tropical set up I have most experience with.

I also didn't fancy finding / getting / buying a ton of stones and then try to stack them without scratching or breaking the tank...

Last time I did that I ended up with 100 liters of water all over the living room fitted carpet....

Want to put up a huge laughing face here...I had similar once...over a bloody hardwood floor!!!!!!!! Luckily it was a crack and I could save the fish - albeit by putting them all in one tank...but the upside was that I at least managed to save them all...plus I could use half of the one tank's water to refill the new one plus use all the old pumps etc etc etc. I washed NOTHING when setting up the new one so as to keep all algae etc etc etc. and of course the water ph etc. BUT>> those fish all lumped together during those 24 hours had quite a bit of stress, poor things. I also saved as much of the water in the cracked tank as I could in buckets plus all non-fishy additions to the buggered up tank.  Was the scariest fishy-related time of my life! The small tank with the small fishy or two plus Speedy and the few crustaceans are enough now. Love watching them over my book while in bed at night.  I have to mention, though, that I am looking at extending the tiny pod in the back garden, though, and bringing in some goldfish. Nothing monstrous or on a large scale. Just big enough for a few water plants and a few goldies. I've already, in my imagination, set up a table and chair next to that pond, and see myself working and being distracted by the occasional 'plop' as one of them catches the occasional bug.

tank arrived and I made a mess of the cabinet because I only ever read the instructions AFTER things go wrong. The instructions are idiotproof. But nothing "prooves" against an idiot who is arrogant enough to think he or she does not need them 😉

Also: Cats are not helpful while putting together a fishtank.

Special mention to my Lynca who is now sulking because she tried to jump onto what she thought was a cupboard and hit her head on the glass.

Door hinges still need something doing (I think I used the wrong door for the middle one) but the tank is on the cabinet

30738766_10210937108248597_2291508852216037376_n.jpg

tgano
Community Member

I have a 120 gallon cichlid tank and love it! fishtank.jpg

petra_r
Community Member

@Tracye G wrote:

I have a 120 gallon cichlid tank and love it! 

120 gallon... lots of water 🙂

Beautiful tank, I guess with those cichlids real plants are out...

progress on mine as per this afternoon:

progressprogress

"I am helping, mummy, honestly""I am helping, mummy, honestly"

petra_r
Community Member

Day 2 - main lights off, backlights going through their (programmed) sunset routine

30716230_10210946441881932_1176274955487150080_n.jpg

petra_r
Community Member

day 3 - now fully planted, plunts just need to grow now. Yellow tint in the water is tannins from all the wood, it will go away by itself in a week or two.

31047754_10210951839896879_4130110847563333632_n.jpg

smason3
Community Member

This is a long shot, but here goes.

I mentioned earlier that my client has a blog on freshwater and saltwater aquariums.

He is desperate to find one or two writers to help him out. I’ve been editing for him for five months, and he is easy to work with and reliable. He set up two scholarships for college students studying in marine-related majors.

He requires someone who currently owns a fish tank and is up to date on current fishkeeping trends. He does not want someone to simply research the material, although research is part of the task. He wants someone with hands-on experience. It is a long-term opportunity. He posted a job on Upwork earlier but didn't find qualified candidates, so I thought the people reading this thread may be a better audience.

If anyone has any contacts (or you personally!) who might be interested, please let me know. After that, I will have him create a job post, and you can connect directly.

Thanks in advance!

petra_r
Community Member

One week in

Clearing nicely. Plants initially sulked but are recovering.

side viewside view

front viewfront view

Gawd don't you hate moody aquatic plants!

It's bad enough to deal with sulking teenagers, but when the plants follow suit it's time to put your foot down!

Very pretty indeed

reinierb
Community Member

@Petra R wrote:

One week in

Clearing nicely. Plants initially sulked but are recovering.

side viewside view

front viewfront view

I wasn't goint to comment on this thread until you had the tank all set up and populated, but at this point I must say that this is a very, very pretty setup. 

Not wanting to hijack your thread, but I've been keeping fish for just about my whole life, and I've never, ever, been able to keep plants alive for more than a couple of weeks. In fact, my 200-litre guppy tank turns 18 years old in a couple of months and while I have never had to drain it to clean it (my homemade filters work great), I have never managed to get plants to grow in it in all of that time. 

It seems I am good at keeping guppies alive, since the oldest ones I have are older than four years, but keeping plants alive? Not so much.  

petra_r
Community Member

@Reinier B wrote:

Not wanting to hijack your thread, but I've been keeping fish for just about my whole life, and I've never, ever, been able to keep plants alive for more than a couple of weeks. In fact, my 200-litre guppy tank turns 18 years old in a couple of months and while I have never had to drain it to clean it (my homemade filters work great), I have never managed to get plants to grow in it in all of that time. 

It seems I am good at keeping guppies alive, since the oldest ones I have are older than four years, but keeping plants alive? Not so much.  

Hijack away, Reinier!!

The trick to keeping plants and fish happy and alive is simply "balance." To me a tank is not complete until it has both fauna and flora and is balanced in such a way that they complement each other functionally and visually. Once you get to that point it's just a matter of maintaining that balance. The aquarium becomes an almost self-sustaining micro-eco-system in its own right.

Plants need light, nutrients and CO2. Fish need clean water, oxygen, and food.

If you get it right, the waste from the fish helps feed the plants, the plants "eat" the nitrates and act as a filter, create oxygen for the fish and outcompete algae for nutrients. They also provide hiding places for timid fish and, last not least, look nice.

Most people fail with plants because they choose pretty but very demanding plants which need special lighting and likely won't thrive without expensive and difficult to understand CO2 gas injection which is hard to balance without potentially affecting the fish.

I deliberately went only for plants which have low CO2 and light requirements, because I can not be bothered with setting up a CO2 system.

ANYONE can keep anubia alive for example, all the darker green plants in my tank are different types of anubia. The Amazon swords in the background and the cute little curly things towards the right are also "easy" but do tend to "melt" a bit initially (you know how salad leaves go translucent a bit when you put salt and dressing on them? That effect) because they are generally initially grown emerged (out of water) to get them to a saleable size more quickly. As emerged plants have unhindered access to CO2 they grow more quickly and easily.

So, it's a bit of a shock to their system to be dumped in a tank and have to painfully extract their CO2 from the water. This initial "melting" can see all the old foliage die off, to be replaced by new shoots which were "born" immersed (in water) so are adapted to living under water from the start.

Get some anubia, tie or superglue (yes, really) them to some stones or driftwood (wash / boil first, leave driftwood soaking in clear water for a week or two so the tannins can leak out and it becomes fully waterlogged), and see how nice it is to have plants! Just don't plant them directly in soil or gravel, they will rot.

nitrogen%20(Small)

reinierb
Community Member

@ Petra, 

I have tried all of the above over a period of several years, and even though I look after my water quality/chemistry better than I do my grandchildren (or so people say), I have had no luck with live plants.

I have spent thousands on CO2 injection systems, I have experimented wit dissolved oxygen levels, I have bought dozens of books on aquatic plants, I have very expensive lighting that is as close to natural sunlight as it is possible to get, I mimick the days and seasons in terms of how long the lights are on, I have had my water tested professionally many times, and I have even imported plants- all in vain.

So now I use expensive plastic plants (which are not the same as live plants), but at least I don't have to fish dead plants out of the tank everyday. Maybe I just don't have green fingers, or there is some unknown substance in my water that has not been identified (or is unknown to science), but I just don't get it. 

petra_r
Community Member

How weird!

Do you have a pic of your tank?

reinierb
Community Member

@Petra R wrote:

How weird!

Do you have a pic of your tank?

I don't own a camera or a smart phone, but I'll see about getting a picture when my kids come around again next week. They have amazing phones that can even make and receive  calls...Smiley Wink

moutcom
Community Member

Petra i was observing this for a while now, and i must say pretty awesome [schreibt sich AWESOME].

Shame on me, the only thing i can keep alive is either my server or plants OUTSIDE water ....

Smiley Happy

--We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Mother Teresa

Petra, we are all waiting breathlessly for an update....

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Are there fishies yet?

jolouburn
Community Member

Have you thought about maybe keeping a sorority of betta fish? I don't mean the girls that you find in the pet stores, I mean absolute stunners just as beautiful as the males that come directly from breeders. 

I can also highly recommend Lake Tangyanaki frontosa cichlids but make sure you get the real ones and not the genetically modified. Smiley Happy

Petra, I am sitting here waiting for Tropical Storm Alberto to show up possibly on my doorstep and all I wonder about is your fish.

Sorry guys, It's been a manic month and I've only just started to come up for air.

The tank cycled very happily, and after an initial "melt" (when plants that were originally grown out of water go into shock when submerged) the plants came back happily. There are some brown marks on the leaves of the Amazons and I should probably remove those leaves so the plants can put their energy into growing new leaves rather than the old damaged ones. Minor algae issues, as expected, which I am fighting by reducing light (shorter periods and added floating plants) as well as upping liquid CO2 to encourage plant growth (to out-compete the algae for nutrients.)

Stocking: (Small) Rainbow community.

I added a shoal of 11 tiny (really, really tiny) forktails - 2 arrived damaged and I lost them within 24 hours, the rest are thriving. I was a little p*ssed off because those 2 were clearly not right when packed (one had a deformed jaw and one a deformed spine, that can not have happened in transit, so changed suppliers. No excuse for shipping unwell lifestock.)

Pseudomugil  furcataPseudomugil furcata

The forktails were joined by 3 nerite snails and two otocinclus for algae control. I wanted 6 otos because they like being in groups, but no more (healthy ones) could be found. They are all thriving and do a fabulous job keeping glass and plants clean. Just visible in the background of the pic below: freshly cleaned anubia to the left and very healthy new growth of the corkscrew sword (Echinodorus vesuvius.) The original leaves completely died off but the new growth is super pretty (very curly) and will hopefully camouflage the internal filter in due course.

my little otos at workmy little otos at work

After watching water parameters like a hawk for a week I added 11 juvenile Threadfin rainbows

Iriatherina werneriIriatherina werneri

All are doing well and the forktails very clearly enjoy having their bigger cousins about and have become bolder and more colourful as a result.

According to AqAdvisor that puts me at about 62% stocking capacity based on adult size (they are nowhere near that yet and won't be for months.) Limiting factor currently is the filter capacity rather than the tank volume. I am, long term, planning to add an external filter and remove the internal one. It does not matter right now simply because the fish are nowhere near fully grown, but neither is the system mature so I don't want to take any risks at all.

The last step will be 9 pseudomugil sp. red neon.

Pseudomugil sp. red neonPseudomugil sp. red neon

Ideally I'd like to wait a while, but we are rapidly heading for summer and heat. If I want to order them and ensure safe shipping conditions I should get them either straight away or wait until late September.

Wondering whether to add a handful of Amano Shrimp, (Cardina multidenta) as additional clean-up crew. They add almost nothing to the bioload and won't breed so safe with the filter (all the interesting shrimpies would breed and their babies likely mangled in filter)

Link to video

Routine

Feeding: flake and frozen for the rainbows, wafers and vegetables for the otos and the nerite snails.

40% - 50% water change weekly (I've adapted an aquavac with a long piece of hosepipe so the tankwater drains straight into the shower, then remove the showerhead, adapt the temperature, attach the hosepipe to the shower's water-outlet and refill the tank. No carrying buckets, no hassle. Drain, add water conditioner, refill, done.)

Upgraded filter with Seachem Purigen and Seachem Matrix

Liquid CO2 - Seachem Excel 5 ml daily

Ferts: Seachem Flourish once a week

(Yes, I'm a huge Seachem fan)

Twinstar Ozone thingie to help prevent algae and sterilize water. Or just make cool clouds of micro airbubbles. Jury still out on whether it actually works in any meaningful way or not but it's bought and in the tank at at worst doing no harm.

So that's where we are right now 🙂

reinierb
Community Member

Some really nice fishies you haveSmiley Happy

I won't touch ozone generators again. Once, a long time ago when I was breeding goldfish in outside ponds, I thought sterilizing the water with a store-bought ozone generator might be good thing. Sadly, something went wrong a couple of days after I installed the system and the ozone generator started working too well, which resulted in thousands of fish dying- in fact, all my gold fish died in the space of a few hours. I don't know if there is a lesson in there somewhere, but you may want to reconsider the use of ozone.  

Latest Articles
Learning Paths