🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » How is Upwork different around the world?
Page options
translet
Community Member

How is Upwork different around the world?

Someone commented in a different thread that Upworkers were called something different in the UK.  That got me thinking.  How is Upwork different around the world.  I teach management here in the US, and increasingly we see things becoming more the same...  the type of work, pay rates for work that can be done remotely especially, but I wonder if that's really the case.  

Flipkart is different from Amazon in how it approaches the Indian market.  Alibaba and JD are different in China.  

How is freelancing or gig work different wherever you are? 

Dev

3 REPLIES 3
colettelewis
Community Member

The term "upworker" (which derives from Upwork) only applies to people who wish to be called that and who work from, or perhaps for, this site.  I have an account on Upwork, but I would never refer to myself as an "upworker", whatever country I lived in.  But there are various terms: freelancer, contractor, gig worker, sole trader  etc. 

Nichola L wrote:

The term "upworker" (which derives from Upwork) only applies to people who wish to be called that and who work from, or perhaps for, this site.  I have an account on Upwork, but I would never refer to myself as an "upworker", whatever country I lived in.  But there are various terms: freelancer, contractor, gig worker, sole trader  etc. 

I don't call myself any of those things, except when filling in my tax return. If I'm pitching for an editing job, I call myself an editor. Sometimes, I change hats and call myself a different thing related to the work. 

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

I've never heard anyone call themselves an "Upworker". I am more correctly called "self-employed" since Upwork is only one of many methods that I use to find clients.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths