Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One of those feel good moments...

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 13

@Daniel C wrote:

Soft skills are more valuable as a developer than technical skills.  You have to imagine that the person is paying you is losing $200/hr + your rate to talk to you, so don't waste their time.  If you make it easy to understand and communicate details with the expectation that you will understand, then you are saving them $218/hr.  I don't know what their time is worth, but it's always worth more than yours.

This is so incredibly true. I saw in another thread where a guy was saying if it's a phone call, he knows he will lose the gig. It's the exact opposite for me. If I get them on the phone, I know I win. 90% of the win is in the proposal. Communication is key to success in these places. You can be amazing at what you do, but if you can't communicate with people, you're gonna have a hard time. It seems some people also think "communication" is giving status reports. Not at all. There's so much more to it.

I'm working with this startup who thought my hourly rate was high. I told them that my rate is actually cheap but on par with lead devs in the area for full timers. They got a whiff of what a true consultant costs when they spoke to Rackspace about hosting and Rackspace said that a db consultation would be $150/hour. lol  My hourly rate ain't so bad now is it? lol

Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
12 of 13

"This is so incredibly true. I saw in another thread where a guy was saying if it's a phone call, he knows he will lose the gig. It's the exact opposite for me. If I get them on the phone, I know I win. 90% of the win is in the proposal. Communication is key to success in these places. You can be amazing at what you do, but if you can't communicate with people, you're gonna have a hard time. It seems some people also think "communication" is giving status reports. Not at all. There's so much more to it."

Same here!  I just have to lure them into my trap...  Muahahahaaa!

I always just assume that if they make time for a meeting, then they already made a decision to go with me.  I just have to give them confidence in their decision. 

Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
13 of 13

@Michael Z wrote:

The reason I've never decided to sell any of these, is of the exact same situation described above. I don't want to end up selling a domain and then in 5 years have it be some "major" website. Would make me feel like I missed out on something.

I just let a few dozen good .com's go.  They are worth what someone is willing and able to pay.  Hold on and gamble on wishing the value goes up, or let them go.  Hypothetical money isn't money.  It's not worth anything until you sell it.  In fact, it's worth less than nothing because you have to pay domain fees to keep them.

I sold Dotable.com with a logo for like... $350 to a domain and hosting company.  I could have held on and sold it for more.  I just didn't care.  It made more sense to sell and use the $350 to make more money.

I don't really see how this relates to what I was saying before.  Good luck in selling them!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS