Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rude Clients

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 37

@Whitney D wrote:

This is excellent info- 

can they see when if their message has been reported?

No, they can not Smiley Happy

Easter Joyce D Member Since: May 3, 2016
12 of 37

In my years here in Upwork, there's only one client who really said something mean.  She had me illustrate/design cute characters for a mobile app. I was patient enough to take 5, 6 7 revisions per character in a way until she gets satisfied with such an extremely low pay--no revision cost.  I took the bait.  After when the project is almost done,

here goes an excerpt of the conversation:

Client: yeah doing cute animal expression is not so easy...
i guess you won't get such jobs in the futures... lol

(As civil as I wanted to be, I still responded to her professionally)

ME: haha..we'll see Smiley Very Happy
       By the way, will there be fixes on the previous ones?

--Little she knew, I do have projects and have illustrated children's books with good feedback from readers and parents.

I'd say, I'll finish this one project, as a professional and just completely let it go. There's no point that I'll be doing work with her again.  It's really not worth it to stick to a client who has been rude and discouraging. 

Ace Contributor
Bobby B Member Since: May 21, 2017
13 of 37

I always find myself biting my lip knowing the power (and they know) they have over me with their review/rating.  Most experiences have  been good but there have been a few that dragged a project out..."Oh can you make this change, and this change..etc."  

As long as our future opportunities are partly driven by a review score here on Upwork (i.e. Success Score & Top Rated) the clients will always have freelancers in their "clutches."   You can actually see jobs posted where the client will say "Do X amount of work for only $5 and in return I'll give you a great review/score."   The sad thing is as a new freelancer starting out you sometimes take these jobs just to get your portfolio built...but maybe that comes with the territory.

Well I have rambled enough...thank you for posting this as I am sure it's a struggle for more then just a few.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
14 of 37

Bobby, you do have the ability to leave honest client appraisals ... and that can help or hinder the buyer down the road.

I'm lucky - over the years 99.5% of my clients are great and my comments reflect that. The other .5% - I tell the truth when I rate them. In these cases my written comments are tempered to reflect positively on me ... but honest enough to warn other FLers.

15 of 37

Bobby, I, so agree with you.  It's just frustrating sometimes that no matter how you discuss the limited number of revisions, yet, clients still succumb to going unlimited (WOW!).  Aside from that, it's like blaming me for the revisions that I carefully followed based from her instructions.  I just don't get it. But really, a positive feedback is what I'm currently holding on to this client.  From the beginning, she told me to stay because she has already encountered freelancers who went AWOL. Now, I'm seeing why creatives she hire leave without a trace.  Anyways, once again, as a professional, I'll finish what I had to finish then request in a nice way if I could exit. 

Ace Contributor
Bobby B Member Since: May 21, 2017
16 of 37

Yeah trust me I know it's tough but it will pay off...keep pushing forward!   I have come to the point where I solely focus on doing great work and...yes...the final payment.   I see each client as one more step towards my future goals and I'm not going to let a couple rotten apples get in the way.   You got this! Smiley Happy 

17 of 37

Thanks Bobby!! There will be hindrances along the way but may it be the stepping stone to greatness.  

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
18 of 37

@Bobby B wrote:

I always find myself biting my lip knowing the power (and they know) they have over me with their review/rating.  Most experiences have  been good but there have been a few that dragged a project out..."Oh can you make this change, and this change..etc."  

As long as our future opportunities are partly driven by a review score here on Upwork (i.e. Success Score & Top Rated) the clients will always have freelancers in their "clutches."   You can actually see jobs posted where the client will say "Do X amount of work for only $5 and in return I'll give you a great review/score."   The sad thing is as a new freelancer starting out you sometimes take these jobs just to get your portfolio built...but maybe that comes with the territory.

Well I have rambled enough...thank you for posting this as I am sure it's a struggle for more then just a few.

I have to admit, I've felt this way from time to time. Not always because I feel that I'm in the client's "clutches" but because I work in a very perfection oriented line of work and I sometimes run into people with what I consider unrealistic and sometimes insane expectations (I'm sure they would probably call them "high standards").  This might also include expectations about what I can do in a given amount of time. So the client expectations piece, is what affects me more. What I've found is that more professional people are generally more relaxed and more on the ground about what they're asking you to do. But you get the odd one that's not. 

Also, I'm gaining a little more insight into how to spot clients that might be problematic to work with (mainly people who can't respond to humor). I think it depends on what you do in terms of whether or not you can just tough it out with difficult clients. If you're in an industry where you have to work more closely with your clients, taking on difficult ones might be more of an issue.

The problem you're talking about though, is a bit of a slippery slope problem (people saying "can you just add this?" or "can you just tweak this a bit more?") and not understanding whether or not you can refuse that sort of thing without consequences to your ratings. You might even think of it as an "endless free refills" problem. That can be stressful. I think asking other freelancers how they handle this kind of thing would make a really good topic for a forum thread. 

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
19 of 37

@Renata S wrote:

The problem you're talking about though, is a bit of a slippery slope problem (people saying "can you just add this?" or "can you just tweak this a bit more?") and not understanding whether or not you can refuse that sort of thing without consequences to your ratings. You might even think of it as an "endless free refills" problem. That can be stressful. I think asking other freelancers how they handle this kind of thing would make a really good topic for a forum thread. 

That's easy. I do not personally have to do this, but anyone working on deliverables like web sites, written copy, graphics, etc., should have a revision disclaimer inside their proposal cover letter, as well as any followup the client gets after the interview.

And there are already lots of theads about this.

If I was a graphic designer, for example, I'd have a bullet point list of items the client should be aware of regarding revisions, and this would go into my proposal cover letter, and also my "business proposal", which I would send to the client after the interview (because I only work long term jobs, and I like having a backup document in case things go pear shaped with the client).

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
20 of 37

@Pandora H wrote:

That's easy. I do not personally have to do this, but anyone working on deliverables like web sites, written copy, graphics, etc., should have a revision disclaimer inside their proposal cover letter, as well as any followup the client gets after the interview.

And there are already lots of theads about this.

Pandora. I wish I could afford you!  You're just this fountain of knowledge and crazy job information. Smiley Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS