cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Upwork 10-Year Challenge

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
1 of 20

This thread was inspired by some recent discussions about hiding earnngs.

I was talking to a friend and fellow freelancer who agreed with me that it doesn't make sense to hide earnings out of some misplaced sense of embarrasent over lower past hourly rates.

He agreed with me that freelancers shouldn't hide earnings, because every job is worth doing.

My earnings are public. I started out earning less than I do now. This doesn't bother me, and it doesn't seem to bother potential clients:

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 6.05.20 PM.png

Anyone who wants to can click to my profile, and see my earliest jobs, as well as look at how much I earn currently.

My friend even wanted me to post HIS earnings from ten years ago, when he earned $5.56 an hour.

2009-Upwork.PNG

Compare that to how much he earns  **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Harley A Member Since: Feb 28, 2019
2 of 20

The job was to insert a photo of a young female team player into the team group photo.  She couldn't be there for the photoshoot.  I thought I did an excellent job, but DRAT, I can't find those photos now.

Jorge A Member Since: Feb 28, 2019
3 of 20

first job1.jpgMy first Upwork job

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 20

Preston H wrote:

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 6.05.20 PM.png

Threadjack warning on: It always puzzled me what possessed you to translate into Japanese..... Threadjack warning off.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 20

re: "It always puzzled me what possessed you to translate into Japanese..."

This is a totally legitimate question.

I am not a translator. I don't speak Japanese.

On this project, I was working with a native Japanese speaker - a person who also speaks fluent English and has a bachelor's degree in linguistics. I was the person with technical expertise about computer terms, who is also a native English speaker. It was a joint effort.

So yes... that job listing is easily misundestood.

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
6 of 20

Glad you posted this, because since I've been here, I've been wondering about the hiding of the earnings. 

Every time I see a freelancer profile with hidden earnings, I wonder what he has to hide. Now if a client is looking for a freelancer with experience, and he puts in earnings in the filter, say over 1000 - do freelancers with hidden earnings even come up in the search?

Also: if the client has a project worth 500 USD, he will be looking for freelancers that have projects in this range. He does not want freelancers with 5 USD jobs, and he does not want somebody who has only 20K USD jobs. So is this not a missed marketing tool if the client can't find the project range he is looking for?

Community Guru
7 of 20

Martina P wrote:

Now if a client is looking for a freelancer with experience, and he puts in earnings in the filter, say over 1000 - do freelancers with hidden earnings even come up in the search?

No, they don't.

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
8 of 20

Petra R wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Now if a client is looking for a freelancer with experience, and he puts in earnings in the filter, say over 1000 - do freelancers with hidden earnings even come up in the search?

No, they don't.

So they will appear in searches for freelancers with 0 earnings, when cheap clients look for naive newbies... 

Community Guru
9 of 20

Martina P wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Martina P wrote:

No, they don't.

So they will appear in searches for freelancers with 0 earnings, when cheap clients look for naive newbies... 

No, in searches where an earnings filter is set, any earnings filter, they do not appear at all.

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
10 of 20

IMO it doesn't make any sense at all to hide earnings for any reason---never has and never will.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS