🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Upworks
Page options
abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Upworks

Can Upwork fix the time zone of the Upwork community? The whole thing is quite dishevelled, as is. I don't understand a thing of Upwork community time. Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for sharing your feedback Abinadab. We are looking into ways for updating the time zone selection process but at the moment, the time displayed on all posts is in PST.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Abinadab, 

The Community is in PST. Did you want the time to be displayed in another time zone? 

~ Avery
Upwork

It ought to be in UTC  or local time of the user depending on the setting user chose, so it can align with the rest of the Upwork system.

It has no business being in PST 😉

Thanks for sharing your feedback Abinadab. We are looking into ways for updating the time zone selection process but at the moment, the time displayed on all posts is in PST.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

It is posted in PST because that is where Upwork's headquarters are located.

If this is a problem for you, then you can try not looking at the time stamps posted within the Forum posts.

Alternatively, you could simply stop using the Community Forum. Most Upwork users never visit the Forum.

It is also possible to create a proxy browser tool through which you visit the Forum, which automatically reads in the Forum page, intercepts the HTML, picks out the time stamps, and adjusts them to the correct time zone before displaying them on your screen. You could do this yourself, or you could hire a freelancer on Upwork to do this for you. It may even be possible to use Upwork's API to read in Forum data and format it to meet your needs. You would need to read the API documentation to verify if this is feasible.

But by far the most practical thing for you to do would be to move to California. That way the time zone on your watch or mobile device will match the time zone displayed in the Forum. And this will no longer be an issue.

You didn't seem to get my rationale, Preston.

I'm def not flying from my GMT+1 to Cali just so I'll be on the same time zone with the Upwork community, that would be crazy, won't it? I also won't stop using the community albeit the time zone weirdness.

But, The rest of Upwork works in UTC.

The time tracker works in UTC but can also be set to local time.

The above is notwithstanding the fact that Upwork HQ is in Cali.

Now why should the community work in PST?

Your HQ justification is, I'm afraid, not good enough.

Hope the team considers it worthy of fixing, @Vlad

Latest Articles
Learning Paths