🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Where to work with people online? Like body d...
Page options
alamayarc
Community Member

Where to work with people online? Like body doubling/ working on different tasks together.

I am a part of this discord group that rarely does this concept called "body doubling" where you all go on a call or video call and work together on different tasks. It's so much fun because on break time it kind of feels like you're working with colleagues again or working at a coffee shop with a friend.

This discord group rarely does it though. Is anyone here a part of any open discord groups or online groups that provide this? I've been looking around for a few weeks with no luck.

Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
claudiacezy
Community Member

I didn't know about this term body doubling, searching on google it appears to be a concept known to adults with ADHD. You might find groups that provides this in ADHD online communities.

I found another term for this, virtual accountability buddy/partner.... you get better search results for this.

You can find on YouTube (probably not the only one) recordings or live streaming if you search work/study with me.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

Upwork doesn't have anything like that.

But: I think your idea has merit.

I think it is possible that Upwork is already considering officially supporting this, or would be willing to.

Preston H wrote:

Upwork doesn't have anything like that.

But: I think your idea has merit.

I think it is possible that Upwork is already considering officially supporting this, or would be willing to.

I think Upwork already supports this ie hiring a VA ... or more. The client sets the conditions, tasks, schedule... 

re: "I think Upwork already supports this ie hiring a VA ... or more. The client sets the conditions, tasks, schedule."

Okay... But the concept the original poster is referring to doesn't have anything to do with VAs.

As I understand it, her concept is an Upwork-supported "pair programming," with these key modifications:

- her concept applies to any types of work (not just programming)

- her concept is "virtual", with two people working simultaneously, sharing a screen, but they are not physically in the same room.

Preston H wrote:

re: "I think Upwork already supports this ie hiring a VA ... or more. The client sets the conditions, tasks, schedule."

Okay... But the concept the original poster is referring to doesn't have anything to do with VAs.

As I understand it, her concept is an Upwork-supported "pair programming," with these key modifications:

- her concept applies to any types of work (not just programming)

- her concept is "virtual", with two people working simultaneously, sharing a screen, but they are not physically in the same room.

I don't think the concept itself (in ADHD community) refers to sharing screens, working/collaborating on tasks. It's like a state of mind, accountability, triggers, reward/scope to focus on performing an action. You hire a VA and the main task is to be online via chat and/or video during certain hours, you may give some other tasks or the VA can work on anything else. 

astepanov83
Community Member

I'm not part of any community or group that do this. I did this offline in the past. In my field it's called pair programming. The concept is similar: two work at the same computer. One has keyboard and types. The other reads and checks.

I don't think this concept will work online. There are many things missing. One of them is being able to just poke your finger at a display. It just cannot be replaced by any online tools. Also, when you sit right next to you teammate you're more involved. There are many other problems.

Still wishing you luck in finding something useful. But the chances are low I think.

claudiacezy
Community Member

I didn't know about this term body doubling, searching on google it appears to be a concept known to adults with ADHD. You might find groups that provides this in ADHD online communities.

I found another term for this, virtual accountability buddy/partner.... you get better search results for this.

You can find on YouTube (probably not the only one) recordings or live streaming if you search work/study with me.

So helpful thanks! Yes I heard about it from an ADHD group but I couldn't find just the regular term for it. 

Do you have a link to your yt page? I'd love to check it out.

Alamay A wrote:

So helpful thanks! Yes I heard about it from an ADHD group but I couldn't find just the regular term for it. 

Do you have a link to your yt page? I'd love to check it out.

I don't have this kind of videos, I meant you can search "work with me" on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=work+with+me.

I've looked into it thinking it sounds like a great idea to build a membership site or even to monetize on YouTube. Not surprised to see this kind of membership sites already exist ... ie focusmate.com, they offer some free sessions but it's a paid service. It's just like hiring a VA but marketed to a specific audience.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths