🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » auditions for old posts
Page options
shelleymoorevo
Community Member

auditions for old posts

How do we know if we are wasting our connects if they posting is old?

There needs to be a way to contact the empoloyer to know if it is still avaiable.

6 REPLIES 6
mtngigi
Community Member

Shelley M wrote:

How do we know if we are wasting our connects if they posting is old?

There needs to be a way to contact the empoloyer to know if it is still avaiable.

First, they're not employers, they're clients. Second, Upwork is not going to put in place the capability for clients to potentially be bugged by the millions of freelancers on this site. Freelancing is a business, all businesses have expenses. Connects are a business expense, and that's the best way to think about them.

There are ways to determine if you should bid on a job. The age of the post, the number of applicants, the clients hiring percentage and their feedback - all those things are good indications as to whether it's worth applying or not.

I never apply to jobs more than a few days old. I generally just look through the last couple of days jobs in my job feed. Long ago I gave up looking at the "Similar Jobs" section,  as the jobs there are either too old, not suitable,  or I've seen them already in my job feed. 

If a post is old you can look at "Last viewed by client: ???" field under "Activity on this job" at the end of the job post. You'll notice for recent jobs it says "a few hours ago", for others it could be days. If it shows something in the order of weeks or months then it's probably safe to ignore this and move on.

I can see how new and old posts. It just would be nice if there was a feature on UpWork that would give expiration dates or the job posters would take it down if they have hired. It’s a time waster.

I wouldn't look at it as a time waster, but potential opportunity. I've been hired by great clients who post a job, have something come up, and then come back to the job a month or two later to hire. Or the first person they hire doesn't work out, so they can easily go back to the same post, find freelancers they shortlisted, and hire from there. I would hate for clients to no longer be able to do this easily bc Upwork closed jobs (which jobs do expire if there is no activity for a month), even if it saved me a few seconds of determining whether or not a job is still a good opportunity. Typically, the more hoops a client has to jump through, the more likely they are to take their business elsewhere, which obviously isn't a great outcome for freelancers.

You made some valid points, thanks for commenting.
Latest Articles
Learning Paths