Did you mean: 

Webinar: Beginning Your Freelancer Journey on Upwork

samantha_huls
Upwork Staff
Samantha H Upwork Staff Member Since: Dec 10, 2020
21 of 42

Brigid L wrote:

Hi Samantha!

I was on the webinar today, and I have a follow-up question from one you answered earlier. Someone asked about how to propose a rate if the job description doesn't give specific details about the workload. You suggested having a conversation with the client in order to get a specific scope of the project. Are you suggesting we do that in the proposal or once the proposal is accepted and we go on to an interview? Or should we, like you also suggested, mention a rate in our proposal based on other work we've done, but then follow it up with something like, "This rate is dependent on the specifics of your project?"

Thanks for your help!

Brigid

That's a great question! I think there are a couple of different ways to approach this. In my opinion, you should mention it in the proposal if your bid amount could change. It's totally fine to let them know in your proposal that the total cost is dependent on scope, but a ballpark budget might be "xyz".

Be sure to discuss this further in the interview and then have any adjustments or changes on project pricing written into the contract correctly before you accept it. Really, communciation is key in this kind of situation. The interview is the time to really start to define the scope of the project and decide whether this is something you'd be willing to undertake for a mutually agreed upon rate. Remember, you're interviewing the client just like they're interviewing you. It may not be a good mutual fit, and you are not obligated to accept anything unless you want to.

ps - thanks for attending the webinar! Glad to see you again. :-)

0f57fbf7
Ashley B Member Since: Jan 5, 2021
22 of 42

Hi Samantha!

Thank you for the webinar! I have a couple of questions:

1) In regards to verified payments you said that we shouldn't start work until there is money in the milestones. However, with hourly jobs on your slide you said that we are billed on a weekly basis. Will that money be in escrow too? Should I ask the client to verify payment before beginning hourly work?

2) You said not to include work experience that is unrelated to the job in my profile. Although I have retained the knowledge, the last time I worked in an office was 10 years ago and most of my professional experience is in restaurants. As a manager I have worked in Excel, Adobe PDF editor, Word, payroll, and scheduling along with many other skills learned in restaurants and I feel ignoring that would be a disservice to myself. As a server/bartender I have exceptional costumer service skills. Do you believe that including that kind of information would be helpful or hurtful to winning proposals?

andregutierrez22
Andrea G Moderator Member Since: Jul 7, 2020
23 of 42

Hi Ashley,

When working on Hourly contracts your client is invoiced automatically every Monday. We suggest you make sure your client has verified their payment method before starting work on an Hourly contract in order to qualify for Hourly Protection

You can find some advice on how to build your profile here as well as some other great topics in our Resource Corner.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
samantha_huls
Upwork Staff
24 of 42

Ashley B wrote:

Hi Samantha!

Thank you for the webinar! I have a couple of questions:

1) In regards to verified payments you said that we shouldn't start work until there is money in the milestones. However, with hourly jobs on your slide you said that we are billed on a weekly basis. Will that money be in escrow too? Should I ask the client to verify payment before beginning hourly work?

2) You said not to include work experience that is unrelated to the job in my profile. Although I have retained the knowledge, the last time I worked in an office was 10 years ago and most of my professional experience is in restaurants. As a manager I have worked in Excel, Adobe PDF editor, Word, payroll, and scheduling along with many other skills learned in restaurants and I feel ignoring that would be a disservice to myself. As a server/bartender I have exceptional costumer service skills. Do you believe that including that kind of information would be helpful or hurtful to winning proposals?

Hi Ashley!

Looks like Andrea got the 1st question - thank you!! :-)

As far as the 2nd question:

If you feel like the work is relevant, I think you should include it. I really want to clarify that work that is irrelevant would have nothing in common with the service you'd be providing on Upwork. I think in your case, which is unique since your previous industry/roles have had such a broad reach, I think you could include it if you wanted to. Just be sure to clarify what relevant work you did and why it's relevant. I think as long as you can show how the two are related, having diverse experience is great! :-)

em-laiheang
Em L Member Since: Jan 2, 2019
25 of 42

Hello, Samantha H

Thank you for the information about Freelancer Journey on Upwork. 

I am very happy to be on a team of Upwork freelancers. I will do my best and cooperate to build our team to be successful forever.

Best, 

Laiheang

samantha_huls
Upwork Staff
26 of 42

Em L wrote:

Hello, Samantha H

Thank you for the information about Freelancer Journey on Upwork. 

I am very happy to be on a team of Upwork freelancers. I will do my best and cooperate to build our team to be successful forever.

Best, 

Laiheang

Best to you in your journey! :-)

rukmalmf
Rukmal F Member Since: Jan 16, 2021
27 of 42

Hi,

I just need to know how i can i start with upwork with finding my first job.

Thank you.

wangechik
IRENE K Member Since: Jan 17, 2021
28 of 42

How do I come up with a proposal to upload while looking for my first job on Upwork ?

I havent done any job on upwork before, I need some initial guidance.

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
29 of 42

Hi IRENE;

I would recommend that you check out these topics to help you create proposals that win jobs, and help you boost your career on Upwork: 

Also, you'll find great webinars here, feel register for the ones that suits you.

Happy working! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
57d41c1b
Salome Seleyian K Member Since: Feb 2, 2021
30 of 42

Hey Samantha,

why is my money still pending and some stilll in review?

How long will it take for them to be released to my account?

Thank you