cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10% off of my freelance work upsets me AND my client!

babzward
Community Guru
Barbara W Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
11 of 26

I opened this to see if maybe there was something I was missing. But... Alas... No, there's nothing new.

Nothing is hidden. Your bid page asks what you want to earn, and then calculates roughly 111% of that (as this will include their 10% fees which are clearly announced when you make your bids, as well as in the TOS that you read when you sign up).

It makes perfect sense that they charge this fee. After all, if it wasn't for their system, you wouldn't have found your client. It's like a bit of a commission for them for setting up the transaction - and truthfully, a 10% commission is practically nothing. In exchange, you have access to clients, tools that help you better your business (albeit you do have to  actually put forth the effort to find them - but your business plan is not their responsibility). You also get their guarantees that, if you follow their TOS and recommendations, you will get paid for the work you've done.

I objected to it when I was new, too, but you learn that it really is a small price to pay for the service you get. Although I must say it obviously doesn't go to their developers.

- Barbara Herrera -
iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
12 of 26

"Although I must say it obviously doesn't go to their developers." Smiley LOL

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
13 of 26

Shots fired from Barbara! 

She's getting feisty. Loves it.

menikhildesai
Community Guru
Nikhil D Member Since: May 28, 2015
14 of 26

Guys...please, cut her some slack!

Its quiet obvious from her post that she is new to this platform and not entirely aware of its workings. But that doesn't give anyone the right to bully her or gang up against her. Reading all the above posts so far reminds me of high school bullies.

Its time that we used the forum for what it is actually intended for. We should not show disrespect to anyone, nor be condescending  towards them. If someone asks a question, you either reply or respond in the right manner, without any sarcasm, or you just ignore it altogether. No one is forcing you to post your comment/ replies.

I am just suprised that the mods don't find these sarcastic posts/ tirades in contrast with the Forum's policies. 

computerhxr
Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
15 of 26

Haha, that's what I hated about Elance.  The community had a group of alpha bullies that did the same thing if you don't hop on the bandwagon.  I'm trying to get on the bandwagon early here before the Elance crowd takes over.

Regardless of her confusion, she's saying the platform should be completely free.  It's a bit silly and dare I say, deserves silly responses.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
16 of 26

LOL Elance forums. 

I feel like when I read them it's a bunch of people reminding us all of how they don't need Elance, they've got 2 billion customers elsewhere, and they are all legends. 

Fun times. I did meet a few of their forum members though IRL and we still chat occasionally. Cool chicks I must say.

babzward
Community Guru
17 of 26

@Nikhil D wrote:

Guys...please, cut her some slack!

Its quiet obvious from her post that she is new to this platform and not entirely aware of its workings. But that doesn't give anyone the right to bully her or gang up against her. Reading all the above posts so far reminds me of high school bullies.

Its time that we used the forum for what it is actually intended for. We should not show disrespect to anyone, nor be condescending  towards them. If someone asks a question, you either reply or respond in the right manner, without any sarcasm, or you just ignore it altogether. No one is forcing you to post your comment/ replies.

I am just suprised that the mods don't find these sarcastic posts/ tirades in contrast with the Forum's policies. 

From what I've read, I haven't detected anyone bullying her. We were just explaining that the fees are, in all honesty, quite reasonable.

Could you source your own clients without paying the fees? Yes, you definitely could! But you wouldn't have the protections and services that Upwork offers.

If the 10% truly is too much for you (anyone), feel free to go outside of Upwork. Just keep in mind that if you take your clients off Upwork, Upwork has every right to close out your account - and rightly so. 

- Barbara Herrera -
menikhildesai
Community Guru
Nikhil D Member Since: May 28, 2015
18 of 26

Barbara...

I still remember replying to one of your earliest post and If you go down the memory lane or check your earlier posts or even mine ...for that matter, we all sound naive and kinda lost. Its human nature.

It won't appear bullying to you, but ask a third person to read this thread....anyone, and then ask them what they think is the general 'tone' of this particular exchanges. 'Polite', 'reasonable', 'justified' won't be the adjectives used.

Its not a yelling contest nor is it anything personal between any of us, so lets all keep it that way. No one is above the rules or better than anyone else, so why point fingers or ask to try applying for jobs in real world/ go to another platform. She is sane and mature enough to decide that on her own.

I am not fighting on anyone's behalf, but the only thing that I find increasingly worrying is that the forums is frequented by a handful of people and every thread is dripping with sarcasm, scorn and bitterness. This is something that I feel is unwarranted and needs to stop.

babzward
Community Guru
19 of 26

@Nikhil D wrote:

Barbara...

I still remember replying to one of your earliest post and If you go down the memory lane or check your earlier posts or even mine ...for that matter, we all sound naive and kinda lost. Its human nature.

It won't appear bullying to you, but ask a third person to read this thread....anyone, and then ask them what they think is the general 'tone' of this particular exchanges. 'Polite', 'reasonable', 'justified' won't be the adjectives used.

Its not a yelling contest nor is it anything personal between any of us, so lets all keep it that way. No one is above the rules or better than anyone else, so why point fingers or ask to try applying for jobs in real world/ go to another platform. She is sane and mature enough to decide that on her own.

I am not fighting on anyone's behalf, but the only thing that I find increasingly worrying is that the forums is frequented by a handful of people and every thread is dripping with sarcasm, scorn and bitterness. This is something that I feel is unwarranted and needs to stop.

I do vividly remember being lost - and I sought to understand why things were the way they were. I am still learning a lot of things, and the best way to learn is to ask questions. Sometimes, the questions you ask will have unwanted consequences - such as the one time I asked for help and people gave me completely unrelated advice and took it upon themselves to assume that my client should be reported (which was not the case). It's a part of the learning process.

I will fess up to every ounce of sarcasm that comes dripping from my fingers. Bitterness, though? Never. I'm a happy person who just so happens to be snarky, and I'm finally feeling comfortable enough to express it. I was raised by truck drivers, so... I guess there's that. It's a miracle I haven't let out an F-bomb in the forums yet (nor have I with my clients - go me!)

I don't believe anyone advised the original poster should seek work on another platform, other than facetiously. And I stand by those opinions - if you truly feel that the 10% fee is too much (which the OP has already clarified was a misunderstanding on her part), you are always free to seek out work outside of this platform as well. I have work outside of this platform, as it just so happens. Not nearly as much work, due mostly to the services that my 10% pays for.

Because I also seek independent contracts (which I actually started doing before joining Upwork), I understand how hard it can be outside of the platform, and Upwork charges less than the other platforms that I deal with. Freelancer charges 10% "or a $5 minimum" - which resulted in me paying them for me to work for one client who paid me $5 AUD and I was charged $5 USD to do it. I think Textbroker takes 35%. And with my independent contracts, I had clients who completely bailed after my last batch of work to them - and I have now been waiting over a month for the "final payment" that will never come through.

(Oh, and mostly unrelated, I kudo almost every sarcastic answer. Sometimes, a silly question deserves a silly answer - mature individuals will be able to determine what is sarcasm, and take the appropriate actions. For those who can't, I feel that they should very well take the actions described by the sarcastic response. If someone gave me a sarcastic answer, and I followed their advice without processing it to see how it meshed with my business plans, that would be my responsibility. No one is obligated to be helpful - and the fact that the "regulars" that I think you're referring to have been consistently on the "top solution" list and the "top kudoed" list for the entirety of my time on Upwork kind of says something here.)

- Barbara Herrera -
zoomconcepts
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
20 of 26
Well since the thread's main problem's been resolved, let's move on to the next relevant issue.

@Barbara W wrote:

It's a miracle I haven't let out an F-bomb in the forums yet 

You literally **bleep**ing can't. See?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS