🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » 2 upwork acconts
Page options
rahooltariq
Community Member

2 upwork acconts

Hi

my main account which I am running for the past 11 years got suspended a few days ago, I received an email about it and was asked to answer a few questions, which I did .
filed an appeal and the 1st reply I got after 1 day was that my account is permanently suspended and this decision is final and it will not be reinstated.

so I filed a 2nd appeal, I got very worried and panicked
i was already working with 7 to 8 clients at that moment and my payment was blocked.

so while my account was suspended and i got the reply that it will not be reinstated, I made another account for myself with a different email. 
and started work on that.
after 2 more days, I got my reply for the 2nd appeal I did Thankfully my old account was reinstated and it was activated again for which Upwork i am very very thankful to you. 

but now is the real problem, what should i do with my 2nd account?
the issue is that I already have 2 projects on that account that are running and that have milestones in them.

I want to close it but i can't until those are clear 

I already made it private and i am not applying for any new job from it 

I am worried that because of this, Upwork may ban or suspend me again 

what should i do now any Upwork person can help me on this plz ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LuiggiR

Hi Rahool,

As others have mentioned, having multiple accounts is not allowed and is considered a serious violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. You will need to close the second account you created by going to Settings > Contact Info and clicking on the link "Close my Account" (note that you will need to close any active contracts and withdraw any submitted proposals). 

~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
spectralua
Community Member

Yep, you must have only one account, first. Contact support to close second.

ebab56cc
Community Member

Hi Rahool,

Could you please share the appeal format here which makes you successfull 

thanks

go to upwork support they will send you the link.

Hi Rahool,

Could you please share your appeal 

here which makes you successfull 

thanks

sofia2008
Community Member

Rahool T wrote:

Hi

my main account which I am running for the past 11 years got suspended a few days ago, I received an email about it and was asked to answer a few questions, which I did .
filed an appeal and the 1st reply I got after 1 day was that my account is permanently suspended and this decision is final and it will not be reinstated.

so I filed a 2nd appeal, I got very worried and panicked
i was already working with 7 to 8 clients at that moment and my payment was blocked.

so while my account was suspended and i got the reply that it will not be reinstated, I made another account for myself with a different email. 
and started work on that.
after 2 more days, I got my reply for the 2nd appeal I did Thankfully my old account was reinstated and it was activated again for which Upwork i am very very thankful to you. 

but now is the real problem, what should i do with my 2nd account?
the issue is that I already have 2 projects on that account that are running and that have milestones in them.

I want to close it but i can't until those are clear 

I already made it private and i am not applying for any new job from it 

I am worried that because of this, Upwork may ban or suspend me again 

what should i do now any Upwork person can help me on this plz ?

creating a second account is a very serious violation of Upwork's Terms of Service. 

LuiggiR

Hi Rahool,

As others have mentioned, having multiple accounts is not allowed and is considered a serious violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. You will need to close the second account you created by going to Settings > Contact Info and clicking on the link "Close my Account" (note that you will need to close any active contracts and withdraw any submitted proposals). 

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi Luiggi.

I have not received my payment on that contract yet, can I wait until I get my money for the work I have done and then close the contract? and then close the account ?

or I have to end those immediately and close the account now ?

You cannot close it before closing active contracts\proposals.

Thanks, Upwork did suspend both of my accounts and told me to tell them which one I want to keep and which one I want to close and delete.
I told them which one to close and then after all that procedure my dual account was closed and my main account is active again.

melroen
Community Member

Hi Luigi,

I am contacting you because of a very disconcerting situation that just happened to a payment verified but new Upwork client who sent me an invitation to his job post on 9/4/2023. Since it was a job suited to my skills and with a good paying hourly contract rate I sent a proposal with my profile link and a writing sample. The client contacted me a few hours later and asked to set up a Zoom interview today 9/6 through Upwork. We exchanged messages and I sent a few other script samples. He indicated he thought my work was of high quality.

Today we had an hour-long interview and we agreed to contract terms. After our Zoom interview, the client tried to send me an Upwork offer to hire contract. At that point, he received a notification that he needed to verify his identity. He uploaded a US South Carolina driver's license and did a visual identification with an Upwork agent. To his shock, they claimed he uploaded a fraudulent document. He offered to upload his US passport but the agent wouldn't allow him to do it. He's a US citizen but his name is of Nigerian origin. His payment method and driver's license have the same address. During the call he asked what documentation they would accept to verify his identity. He was told he was permanently banned from Upwork with no recourse to appeal.  The client was distraught and still tried to email Upwork to no avail.

I advised him to join the Upwork Community forum and ask for a moderator's help to open an appeal ticket. But he is banned from chat because his account is suspended ad can't post seeking help here.

I adhere strictly to Upwork's terms of service and before a contract is in place I do not give out my contact information or am any longer in communication with him through Upwork messages. He's been cut off from chat. I know you can't discuss another person's account with me, but would it be possible for me to send you by private message a copy of his job invitation so someone could look into this and open a support ticket to help him appeal through his email address that you have on file? My only method of contact with him was through Upwork messages. This was a potentially very lucrative long-term client. If his account was banned in error without any option to appeal, it's a pity to lose a client who is willing to do whatever is needed to verify his identity. He's shocked and humiliated right now. And he did very much want to hire me through Upwork's platform. There were no red flags of a scammer trying to go off the platform or circumvent Upwork in any way.

Thank you for your time and consideration or any help you could provide to this client.

Best regards,

Melissa 

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Melissa,

Arjay here stepping in for Luiggi. We appreciate you adhering to Upwork's ToS and bringing this matter to our attention. Please remember that we cannot disclose any information or actions being taken on another user's account publicly here in the Community due to privacy and security reasons. 

However, since the client was able to contact our support team and seek assistance regarding their account status, the team will surely assist them accordingly. In the meantime, you may continue communicating with the client until the issue with their account is resolved. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you.

~ Arjay
Upwork
melroen
Community Member

Thank you, Arjay for your assistance.

I did advise my potential client to sign up for the Community Forum to seek assistance. However, being new to Upwork as a client I don't think he understood what the Upwork community forum is for. He appeared shocked and disheartened that while trying to hire a freelancer correctly through Upwork he received a notification that his account is now permanently banned while trying to verify his ID verification by furnishing his official documents and undergoing a visual identification interview. He was told his ban was irreversible and that he had no right to appeal within the short space of 20 minutes. In his words, he was heartbroken to be accused of supplying fraudulent documents and very much wanted to hire me through Upwork. He never suggested that we circumvent Upwork by working and being paid off Upwrok's platform

My only contact with him has been through Upwork receiving and responding to his invite. Then as per your Tof S conducted an interview through Upwork's Zoom interface where we agreed to contract terms. He then tried to hire me and ran into this ID verification issue. He appeared to be a  genuine client of good intent from my interactions with him.  He did send me a screenshot through Upwork messages while this was happening showing he replied to Upwork's email saying he is a US citizen and offering to upload his US passport as further ID verification proof to resolve this issue. I understand that this issue must be resolved solely through Upwork and the client. That's why I requested someone from Upwork reach out to him directly by email to help him resolve his issue.

If I understand you correctly I am still able to communicate with the client through Upwork messages without violating any terms of service or risking having my account suspended.

I will relay your advice to him through Upwork messages that he can appeal either through the email he received from Upwork or by joining the Community Forum to ask a moderator to escalate his issue.

Thank you again for your understanding and help. I do appreciate that Upwork's identity verification is in place to guard against bad actors but sometimes clients or freelancers acting in good faith can be caught up through no fault of their own in this process.

Best regards,

Melissa  

techno_sol
Community Member

You can invite the client to your old account and close the contract from here. 

Close your second account to avoid any troubles. 

ebab56cc
Community Member

We must follow Upwork TOC and their Regulations. Because they provided us platform to work remotely with around the world.

I must appreciate and thanks to upworks. Don't ever breach the Upwork rules and terms and conditions. 

Thanks Upworks 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members