🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » 5-day security delay for payment
Page options
barnettwriter
Community Member

5-day security delay for payment

Once a client approves a milestone for a freelancer, why does Upwork delay payment for 5 days?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

A 5-day security period is indeed 'weird' these days. But, I admit it worked in preventing some problems from getting worse in this scam-infested and scam-friendly platform on both sides. And it's not always work as well.

They use the time to 'wait' to see if any problems arise after charging the card, for both sides. To see if it's charged back by scam client, to prevent a scam freelancer immediately withdraw and run, etc.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
spectralua
Community Member

To investigate issues possible, like scam or disputes. It is more easy dont give you money than take it back then.

I understand the need for security, but 5 days seems like a long time to check things out. Either the IDs match with the contract, or they don't.

A 5-day security period is indeed 'weird' these days. But, I admit it worked in preventing some problems from getting worse in this scam-infested and scam-friendly platform on both sides. And it's not always work as well.

They use the time to 'wait' to see if any problems arise after charging the card, for both sides. To see if it's charged back by scam client, to prevent a scam freelancer immediately withdraw and run, etc.

Don't forget that international credit and debit card transactions can take 3-5 days (or even a bit longer) to process. 

barnettwriter
Community Member

Thanks, everyone, for responding to my question.

scottmoseley
Community Member

Are weekends counted in the 5 day security period ?   Or is always a straight 5 days ?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members