🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » AI Voice Cloning: Career-Ending Projects
Page options
katiego1982
Community Member

AI Voice Cloning: Career-Ending Projects

I posted about this subject before but now I've got a great example.
AI voice cloning is slowly taking over the VO world. I still believe that in 3-5 years we won't have hardly any jobs to do because of it. And every time a freelancing voa takes on an AI voice cloning project like this one that I've copied and pasted...you are ruining the VO industry and taking away all of our careers. For a couple hundred dollars, by enough individuals, our livelihoods disappear.

Catherine

Posted today:
Do you have the right voice to join us on a thrilling venture related to the groundbreaking field of artificial intelligence research? We are spearheading a project aimed at developing virtual voice clones capable of mirroring human vocal attributes and speech mannerisms, and we are actively recruting specific accents and unique voices.

Given your passion, you are perfectly positioned to aid in the creation of a realistic and high-quality AI clone. If selected, your contribution will be used in approximately ten minutes of conversational audio, and will be utilized to enhance the authenticity of AI voices.

11 REPLIES 11
tlsanders
Community Member

Good choice.

williamtcooper
Community Member

Catherine,

Generative AI will replace millions of jobs in the next few years and there is no way to stop this type of progress.

Start learning how to use the generative AI voice tools and stay in demand.

I agree with your first statement, but if AI were going to create one job for every one it took over, it would be useless. That means your advice will work for, at best, 10-15% of each field it overtakes. Do you have any thoughts about what will become of the millions whose jobs are eliminated and aren't among the lucky 10-15% overseeing the machines, but who can't move into a new field because it too has been reduced by 90%? 

Tiffany,

There will be millions of additional jobs created in other areas. 

Yes there will come a point in the next few years that many people can't upskill quick enough which will be a real issue. There are economic and government studies underway discussing various forms of univeral basic income to bridge this period of time for humanity.

In my experience, my skill set and client demand is very different today than it was a year ago. If the time had not been invested to upskill, I couldn't serve my clients the way they need to be.

It is very challenging and difficult to keep pace, however rewarding because most freelancers either won't or can't make the needed adjustments thereby leaving less competition for these new jobs.

I don't find it at all challenging to keep pace--I wouldn't expect that anyone who was actively working in their field would. I started writing professionally about a decade before there was an internet, before there was SEO, before people could shoot a video at home and upload it to the internet, before there was YouTube, let alone a whole sector of the profession writing YouTube scripts (and so on, and so on, and so on). 

One of the things that long observation tells me is that we are entering a very different phase. In the past, the reassurance always offered was that machines could only perform actions--that people who wanted to stay employed should learn brain work rather than physical work. (That didn't work, and left us with hundreds of thousands of college graduates working minimum wage jobs and a worker shortage in the trades, but that was the promise.)

But now, the mantra has shifted. It's no longer "do what the machines can't" but "learn to serve the machines." And the obvious fact is that if AI works, it will need our assistance less and less. 

I agree with you that there will be big shifts, but I don't see the same rosy ones you do. For example, a lot of writers are concerned that AI will take over their jobs. I expect something very different. I think AI will render most SEO content worthless, dramatically reducing the demand for written content. Demand will likely decline for other reasons, too, including an increased focus on other forms of content and the fact that AI will accelerate the deterioration of the average attention span.

I'll be glad for everyone who is younger than me if you turn out to be right, but across the past 40 years or so I've been pretty accurate in anticipating the curve.

Tiffany S wrote:

But now, the mantra has shifted. It's no longer "do what the machines can't" but "learn to serve the machines." And the obvious fact is that if AI works, it will need our assistance less and less. 

It's more about learning how to work with the machines, not serve the machines. I don't use AI for writing anything because my skills in that area are fine thank you, but the new AI features in Photoshop, for one, have been game-changing; I can produce much better, faster results when doing photo editing and composites, and can create custom work in seconds instead of hours. But AI doesn't do the work FOR me (not yet, anyway), which is where most people seem to be misusing it and why some are dead-set against it; it's just another tool and it doesn't work unless you already know what you're doing and understand what your client is trying to achieve. When some of my clients have tried to use AI to do design work, the results are laughable; nowadays I probably get more business from fixing AI-generated stuff than I used to get from creating work from scratch. But I have to admit, I'm pretty glad that I'm close to retirement instead of at the beginning of my career; entry-level freelancers are definitely going to get less work.

In my opinion, AI generation affects the Voice-over industry most.

I think it currently affects writers the most, but it's going to have an impact on pretty much everyone.

Sure, because AI is in its infancy now. It's not good. Even its creators don't pretend it's good. But the goal is very much that it will be taking over vast swaths of the functions, decreasingly needing human input. 

Today, there's a market for fixing (though it's not one I have any interest in--writing and editing are very different functions, and for today, editing AI-generated content is like trying to take an essay written by a mediocre 7th grader who repeated every point 3-5 times to fill space into something that actually says something. 

I sort of expect that the flood of AI-generated content will be the last nail in the coffin of cognition, and soon pablum that takes 800 words to make one simple two-sentence point will be the norm.

db801079
Community Member

Hello,

Your post is quite interesting to me. I am not a voice-over talent, but in the past, I used to join some Voice Recording projects that provided data for AI training. On Upwork, I was lucky to get a Voice-over project and since then I started to do some research on this area. I passed by some profiles and I could see that the Pay rate for Voice talent artists is quite low 10 - 17 USD for a 30-minute video (while they really have great talents and of course, I guess, they must have gone through a lot of training). I am curious:

Would someone pay Voice artists for that low rate and use the voice for illegal purposes, especially on Upwork, where freelancers have little knowledge about a client's identity? Would the client re-use the voice or sell their data without their permission? Is it right to do so? And if not, will Upwork have any measures to prevent it?

Thanks and regards,

Kieu.

b9f036e5
Community Member

Hi Catherine,

AI voice cloning is indeed becoming more prevalent, offering unique opportunities but also posing challenges to the VO industry. Your concerns about job displacement are valid as technology evolves. The project you mentioned appears to delve into the cutting-edge realm of AI research, seeking voices like yours to contribute to the development of authentic AI clones. It's a complex intersection where technology and human talent meet, reshaping the landscape of the VO world.

Best Regards,

Khushi

**Edited for community guidelines**

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members