🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Abrupt rate change on a long-term job
Page options
susanwinlowmedia
Community Member

Abrupt rate change on a long-term job

Hello,

I am on what was supposed to be a long-term job. We started about five weeks ago. Everything was fine until today. The client got rid of some of the writers and elected to keep a couple of us, including myself, if we accept a new rate. However, that rate per story has been cut by half, and it wasn't a whopping rate to begin with, although, I have to admit, that I have been treated well by the client. I do like the client, but I just can't work for $10 an article. They're easy to do, but after the 10 percent, that's $8 for an hour's worth of work!!!

Has anyone heard of this happening? Is it best if I cancel the contract, or have him cancel the contract? Stick with it? I don't want this to affect me negatively since I don't even have a JSS yet. I just had to cancel a contract last week because the job mechanics turned out to be vastly different than what the client originally proposed, and, subsequently, what was discussed during the interview. 

Thank you for any insight!

2 REPLIES 2
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

That's a bottom-feeder move on the client's part. If you don't want to work for the reduced rate (which you shouldn't IMO), simply tell the client that you have enjoyed working with him/her and are glad they like your work but you are only available to continue at the original rate. Let them take it or leave it. Keep it cordial, don't give them a reason to burn you on feedback. (They might, in any case, that would be a bottom-feeder move, too. Nothing you can do about it.) But there's no upside for you in accepting that pay cut. You don't want it in your job history. (Especially starting in March, when dollar value of contracts will start to factor into JSS.)

You're a veteran writer, don't let some farmer push you around.

undefined:

That's a bottom-feeder move on the client's part. If you don't want to work for the reduced rate (which you shouldn't IMO), simply tell the client that you have enjoyed working with him/her and are glad they like your work but you are only available to continue at the original rate. Let them take it or leave it. Keep it cordial, don't give them a reason to burn you on feedback. (They might, in any case, that would be a bottom-feeder move, too. Nothing you can do about it.) But there's no upside for you in accepting that pay cut. You don't want it in your job history. (Especially starting in March, when dollar value of contracts will start to factor into JSS.)

You're a veteran writer, don't let some farmer push you around.

Thank you! I needed that. Great advice, and you're absolutely right! Thanks also for the information on the JSS/contract value. I did not know that. Thanks again!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members