cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account suspended for no reason. Need help!

kelm89
Konstantyn Z Member Since: Oct 31, 2017
1 of 29

Hello everyone!

So here's a problem. Back in the 2015 I was successfully working on oDesk as a translator. I was working hard, all my feedback was 5 star. After some time I decided to re-qualify into a web developer, so I quit my freelancing carreer as a translator and started learning web development. 3 years have passed and now I've become a quite good fullstack web developer. So during 1 week I was applying for different jobs, but no one contacted me during this week, and yesterday I receive a message from Upwork, saying that my account got suspended. I contacted Upwork support to clarify this decision and got a template response

"Our decision is based on a careful review and the fact that you have submitted a high number of proposals for jobs on our site without many contracts or earnings. Unfortunately, this means the jobs posted by clients are not a good match for your skills."

The thing is I never got any email saying that someone chose another freelancer. Basically, the clients never hired anyone! And how is it my fault? I never got a chance even to prove that I'm quite a good developer. I successfully passed several Upwork tests. 

So I wrote an appeal, attaching cetificates of courses that I passed, and got another template answer:

"I am writing to let you know that we have carefully reviewed your appeal and determined that your Upwork account will remain suspended. 

We know this is not the news you wanted to receive, however at this point the appeal process is exhausted and our decision is final. If you have any open contracts you will be able to complete that work and receive payment through our site. You will not be able to submit proposals for new contracts, however.

We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors. Please note that it is unlikely that we will respond to any future correspondence regarding this matter.

Regards,
Janine
Upwork Trust & Safety"

Cinically saying that she isn't going to respond to my future messages.

So I'm asking, what did I do wrong? Where's justice? Does Upwork even care about freelancers? 

The thing is I willing to prove to Upwork or any client that I'm a good and hardworking developer, I could build a complex web or mobile app, but Upwork doesn't care. 

Regards,

Konstantyn

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
2 of 29

Corporations, in general, are not entities designed to care. They are organizations designed to profit their owners and shareholders. You may be a fabulous freelancer but if there are 10,000 other fabulous freelancers doing what you do and only 1000 clients, your presence on the platform doesn't affect Upwork's ability to make a profit at all. Corporations aren't people. There is no one to care. 

eleyjer
Vitaliy A Member Since: Jun 12, 2017
3 of 29

It is true, but they dont care of all freelancers.

Important only clients, that is why there is attitude like to slaves, no matter that we are payig up to 20%.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 29

@vitaliy A wrote:

It is true, but they dont care of all freelancers.

Important only clients, that is why there is attitude like to slaves, no matter that we are payig up to 20%.

Clients are where the money comes from. Bottom line. 

eleyjer
5 of 29

So that is why Upwork and their clients can do everythig? Because they have money? 
It is your opinion and position?

I better went back to office, because at this point here no difference. 

kelm89
6 of 29

But the thing is, there are no reasons to ban my account. I didn't violate any rules. I have certificates proving my skills. What is going on? Customer support? 

For example, there is a posted job,  20 freelancers applied and the client hired only 1 or didn't hire anyone at all. So is it a good reason to ban other 19 freelancers?  What is this attitude? I'm a guy who's willing to pay Upwork 10-20% of my future earnings  and I got banned just like that? For spending 50 out of 60 connects.

The worst thing about this situation is that I can not even appeal this case to someone above customer support, which responds to every message with a given template.

dossy
Community Leader
Ed S Member Since: Oct 27, 2017
7 of 29

> "Does Upwork even care about freelancers?"

Absolutely.  They care about freelancers that can write proposals that win clients.

Those that consistently don't?  Those freelancers are just creating more noise for clients who are looking to spend money (read: give Upwork money).  Removing those freelancers improves the experience for both the remaining freelancers and clients, so it's win-win.

It may be unfortunate that you got the boot, but ask yourself: if you were running Upwork and there was a freelancer who consistently and repeatedly failed to get a client to award them work, how long would you keep them around?

eleyjer
8 of 29

Ed, you are missing the main part - there was no "Client choose another frelancer"  message.

So the noise was from clients, that didnt make a choice, or even forgot abot job post.

kelm89
9 of 29

>"Those that consistently don't?  Those freelancers are just creating more noise for clients who are looking to spend money (read: give Upwork money).  Removing those freelancers improves the experience for both the remaining freelancers and clients, so it's win-win."

Well first of all the competition  among freelancers is high. As I stated before if there is 1 place for a freelancer and 20 applied those other 19 "get the boot" and it's completely normal. What is not normal is banning them.

Also there are quite smart hardworking people who are good at their job, but not very good at selling themselves to the clients. Also there are people who are quite good at selling themselves, but not very good at their job. So yeah, let's ban the first ones. Why not?

>"Those that consistently don't? "

What are you talking about? I was sending applications for a week! Not even a month. 

>"It may be unfortunate that you got the boot, but ask yourself: if you were running Upwork and there was a freelancer who consistently and repeatedly failed to get a client to award them work, how long would you keep them around?"

I would give them enough time for them to prove their incompetence. Get at least 2 jobs and fail them badly. Only after that I would ban them.

kelm89
10 of 29

> "

Ed, you are missing the main part - there was no "Client choose another frelancer"  message.

So the noise was from clients, that didnt make a choice, or even forgot abot job post."

Exactly!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS