Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All our profiles can be checked by anybody outside of Upwork

This widget could not be displayed.
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 40

Was your profile set to public before? If so then yes, that is what "public" means. It's *public*

If you set it to Upwork users only then only users, while logged in, can see it.

If you only just changed the setting then it may take some time to take effect (a few hours possibly) and google may still have the cache version for longer.

And are you SURE you set your profile to"PRIVATE" (not "invisible") as it still seems to be public

It is..................... (public)

THIS is NOT how to control your profile visibility (this only shows your contacts if you are currently on line or not!)

invisible.jpg

This is:

Go to Settings,

Click on My Profile on the left

Profile Settings at the top

Change your profile visibility -

visi

3 of 40

Petra, Thank you for the explanation, this was really helpful. I was not aware of that and now I should have a non-public profile. However, Imy name and picture can still be found by everybody outside of Upwork and all our discussions and all statements from Upwork can be read by everybody. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 40

The forum is a public forum, yes. As are most.

However, The search term "Margarete M" in google brings up 10,100,000 hits.

I think you're quite safe....

5 of 40

I am not concerned about all the hits but about privacy and personal data and I would prefer if all the discussions within the community and all the profiles involved were not public.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 40

Margarete,

I get it that you're concerned.

I can't claim to completely understand why, and maybe I don't fully relate to your concerns, but I get that you are concerned.

But you should understand something about the Internet:

It is the Internet.

It is called the Internet for a reason.

If you don't want your information on the Internet, don't put it on the Internet.

Directed at nobody in particular, here are some things that every Internet user should understand:

If you use a social media website like Facebook or a public website like Upwork...

You can search for the privacy setttings.

You can set the privacy settings to the maximum amount of privacy possible.

You can check a box that says "Under no circumstances share this information with ANYBODY. Ever. For all time."

And you can make sure you are using a double-https high security privacy browser.

And if you are careful to do all that...

THEN EVERY SINGLE THING YOU WANT PRIVATE WILL BE MADE PUBLIC and will be pasted onto websites around the world, snapchatted, tweeted, go viral, lampooned on TMZ, and be the subject of a Michael Moore documentary.

Is that clear? Because it is the Internet. That's how it works.

So if you don't want everybody in the world to see a private photo or read a private secret thought, absolutely under no circumstances should you upload it to the the Inernet and put it in the top-secret, completely private, never-share directory under the highest possible security settings, because that just paints a red flag on it and marks it for special attention for hackers.

If you really want to keep something private, put it on your profile page and try applying to lots of jobs during the past week. Then you can be sure nobody will look at it.

7 of 40

I do not think that I need an introduction in the internet in general, I have explained my considerations and now would like to stop the discussion from my side.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 40

re: "I do not think that I need an introduction in the internet in general"

Don't worry, my discussion of the nature of the Internet wasn't actually written for you. I didn't say anything you don't already know.

But young people sometimes don't understand the damage they can do to themselves by uploading stupid things to their "private" Facebook page or by tweeting a private photo to just a couple friends.

Neither my post nor any discussion on this topic that subsequently takes place on this thread are directed toward the original poster of this thread. Who would like this discussion to stop.

9 of 40

Maybe it is a matter of language. I just wanted to end the conversation with Preston for the moment - following the community guidelines, nothing else. I think this is the best.

spiderbyte87
Community Leader
Aaron H Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
10 of 40

I'll just be over here strapping on my LOLerblades..don't mind me!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS