🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Are 95% jobs in Upwork created by bots?
Page options
kiranda777
Community Member

Are 95% jobs in Upwork created by bots?

Hi there,

We Freelancer's are having a new issue. We apply for jobs using connects. Recently number of connect required to apply has exponentially gone up. Like for minimum payment work $50 needs 15-16 connect's to apply. That's okay we need additional 15-20 connects to boost the proposal. It is also okay. Now the thing is that the job is open forever. I don't mean I should be selected for job what I want to say is the job is open forever and our connect's won't get refunded.

There are more then 20+ job I have applied are still open. Some are even 3+ months old job post. There are more then 50+ proposal on those jobs with 15 minimum connect required to apply and 15 minimum connect to boost the proposal means 3000+ connect get spent by all the Freelancer's applying for the project. And no one is awarded the job and it's still open. I asked many people about this problem they asked to check the client before applying. So I even checked all the client profile. They have payment method verified and some has even spent more the $10000 in Upwork. Their hire percentage is more then 76% and still the job is open forever. 

So, nowdays I fear to apply for jobs. I am not pointing out to Upwork but I want to request Upwork to keep the minimum threshold for job to stay open. Like 30-60 days is enough and if client doesn't hire any Freelancer's in 30-60 days the job must be automatically removed and Freelancer's must be refunded. If this keeps going on then some of us buy connect's using our hard earned money and will start thinking that 95% jobs are created by bots.

If you are a Freelancer and want to support me in this topic please like or tag Upwork.

Sincerely,

Kiran Khadka

6 REPLIES 6
850effe7
Community Member

Hello Kiran, jobs usually stay open for 15 days, the client can edit on purpose to keep it open or republish them. I work on client side screening candidates and most of the time we end up keeping the job open as 95% or more of the freelancers try to pull a scam and therefore we need a replacement. 

No, seriously??? I have 11+ jobs post stil open which 3+ months old.

850effe7
Community Member

And yes, I believe 95% of jobs are created by bots in particular the ones with large payments. If you have the choice to hire someone at your country market rate why do you do that on upwork when you can keep him/her internally and prevent leaking of information or copyrighted material? Clients want to spare money, if you see large amounts, well.. it's a scam. 

if you see large amounts, well.. it's a scam.

No, if you see a large amount for nonsensical work, like typing words from one kind of file to another, that's a scam.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

I would guess that 95% is a bit on the high side, but I wonder why a good and capable client needs to have a machine write their Upwork job ads. That type of client is a poor communicator, very lazy or they have no detailed idea what they need a freelancer to do for them.

I don't usually reply to Upwork ads that mention AI was used to create the ad text. I don't want to deal with such clients.

fd1a3637
Community Member

The number of connects has not exponentially gone up.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members