🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Ask client if I can use completed job as refe...
Page options
ls_texte
Community Member

Ask client if I can use completed job as reference

I actually assume that it is not allowed, but I would like to know if it is appropriate to ask clients if I may use a completed job as a reference for applying for other jobs. For example, if I have completed a website which is then online or have translated texts, written texts for blogs or anything else. Is this common practice here or is it better to leave it? I do not want to upset anyone.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
colettelewis
Community Member

Laetitia S wrote:

I actually assume that it is not allowed, but I would like to know if it is appropriate to ask clients if I may use a completed job as a reference for applying for other jobs. For example, if I have completed a website which is then online or have translated texts, written texts for blogs or anything else. Is this common practice here or is it better to leave it? I do not want to upset anyone.

Always ask a client first. They can only say no. I think it really depends on the job. Be careful of websites, or at least, always check them first, before giving a url. Sometimes a client will see fit to edit your carefully honed translation, and the result can be  - at best - incorrect! 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
colettelewis
Community Member

Laetitia S wrote:

Always ask a client first. They can only say no. I think it really depends on the job. Be careful of websites, or at least, always check them first, before giving a url. Sometimes a client will see fit to edit your carefully honed translation, and the result can be  - at best - incorrect! 

Thank you very much for the answer. Then in the future I will simply ask. 🙂 Thanks also for the tip!

Laetitia S wrote:

Thank you very much for the answer. Then in the future I will simply ask. 🙂 Thanks also for the tip!

You should mention Swiss-German in your profile. Some clients are looking for that and there are not too many freelancers that know this variant. I turned two invites down because of that last week.

Hello Jennifer, thank you very much for the valuable tip! I'm going to adjust this in my profile right now.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members