cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autotracked time, client account suspended

Oleg B Member Since: Dec 28, 2014
1 of 18

I've just received that my honestly earned money was refunded to source cause 

oDesk Risk Management Team has suspended the account of my client. I guessed that he was not from country that was in the profile, but I spent my time he pay. I have used oDesk Team App and autotracked time, but with no memo. So the one mostly hidden point in the policy is fill the MEMO for your autotracked time. So the company insure own risks and got more cases to reject pay to freelancers.

By the way e.g. Ebay responsible to avoid the fraud and if something wrong with a seller they pay to customer-victim.

oDesk is not responsible, you spend time, he returns funds. The question who is rogue? My loyalty to Odesk has fell mostly full. Just emotions and thoughts.

What if the next client will also doesn't match to oDesk policy and I will lose money again ... it can continue always

It's like insurance company that doesn't wanna to pay her client.

ps oDesk Risk Management Team didn't tell me the specific reason of hold. By the way they told me that I should contact them if the client will contact to me from a new account. Why I should do this? To lose my money again? I don't wanna lose more due ecomony crisis.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 18

Hi Oleg,

I am very sorry to hear about the negative experience you had with a contract. Unfortunately, if hours were not covered by the oDesk Guarantee and the client failed to pay for the work, the payment can get reversed. Please, make sure you meet the requirements for the oDesk Guarantee (including entering memos) in order to receive your payment. oDesk Team, in turn, will make sure that proper actions are taken against the client's account.

Thank you for your understanding.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
3 of 18

Yeap, entering memos ! that small point that has extremely weight for the garantue payment. Explain, please, how the memos important why they required to fill. So the screenshots it's nothing without memos? How? Why?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
4 of 18

Wow. This is news to me that not setting a memo can lead to this. It is scary to see how odesk is looking for loopholes to favour the clients. I can see in Oleg's profile that he is odesk certified with a great track record. I hope this issue is resolved in contractor's favor or I have to say that odesk no longer consider its contractors to have any value.

Highlighted
Ruhul A Member Since: Dec 28, 2014
5 of 18

Somewhat same experience here. I do not know risk managemnt team suspended my clients account. but why they suspended my account as well? I have been working here in odesk for last several years. Now someone called "lara" sent me a message saying i have a double account showing me my clients profile. 

And i do not get a response from "lara" for last 5 days? my ticket number is 3594082#

I contacted customer support but no one can help me. all refers to lara and lara does not respond. It is okey if they suspend my clients acccount but why me??

Even i didn't get any warning from odesk not to work with this client. if i did i would not have worked with him

Highlighted
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
6 of 18

I experienced the same issue a couple of months ago. I had an hourly contract, I logged time with oDesk's app - but didn't enter memos. I had been working on oDesk for almost 2 years and had never used memos; during this period I never had any issue, simply because clients were honest. Anyway, this client did not pay, and due to the fact that my work diary had no memos, the end result was that payment was reversed. By that time, I did not know that entering memos was one of the requirements of oDesk Guarantee. So, in the end, I just thought that it was all my fault - and I learnt the lesson, and I'm now entering memos. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 18

Olga,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I feel bad for the contractors who had pay reversed due to not using memos.

I agree with Olga's perspective, in that Olga learned from the experience and corrected the behavior.

It honestly never occurred to me to NOT enter memos. It is pretty clearly stated in instructions for using oDesk Team application, and whenever you use oDesk Team it starts by popping a big dialog box right in your face, asking what you're doing on the project. And it pops up again every half hour. It is obviously what is expected.

I think this is a very reasonable thing to do for clients, so that when they review work logs of screen shots, they can better understand on exactly what their money is being spent.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
8 of 18

You're totally right, Preston!; yes, it seems clear that entering memos is THE thing to do, so, if for some reason, one doesn't do it, then he/she is left alone to face the consequences. I don't really think oDesk is to blame here.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
9 of 18

I personally turned off the memo pop up because it's distracting and somewhat annoying. While the requirement for a memo is clearly stated in the TOS, it's still unclear what constitutes an "adequate memo". It seems that if the same memo is used for the same task, in which case the entire work diary would consist of just one memo, oDesk would still not guarantee the payment (this is speculation).

What I don't understand, and this may not apply to the OP but other similar cases on this forum, how oDesk can just refund a sum earned over several weeks/months. In the worst case, it should be a weeks pay, not 3 month+ which could bankrupt a freelancer. oDesk should also first exhaust all other means to get the client to pay before taking our hard earned money to refund. There's a security hold period for a reason after all. If the security period doesn't provide any security, then why make us wait for 5 days?

Highlighted
10 of 18

oDesk guarantees payment to Freelancers working on Hourly-Rate Contracts where the Client has a verified payment method, the time represented is captured online using the oDesk Team software, the work performed and captured pertains directly to the Service Contract billed, and each Time Log is annotated with appropriate work memos describing the work performed (the "Payment Guarantee").

Peoply be careful, read the User Agreement and don't let to Odesk leave you without money after spent time on some job.

The End of the lesson worth $576

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS