🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Becoming top rated
Page options
roberty1y
Community Member

Becoming top rated

Does it become much easier to find jobs after you transition from 100 percent JSS to top rated? If all goes well, I'll be top rated ten weeks from now.

I'm worn out sending out proposals, especially as I put some effort into writing each one to match the job in question. I've sent out 121 in the last 90 days, resulting in nine jobs. I spend a lot more time applying for jobs than doing them. I hope TR status brings a change.

11 REPLIES 11
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

The answer to your question might vary by category. I don't recall that getting the TR badge made a huge difference. It seems to me I picked up momentum as I got more contracts into my history (which of course, correlated with getting the TR badge). I breathed easier once I had the fb removal perk in my pocket. (I consider it a talisman as much as anything else!)

I will say that even after years with the TR badge and establishing some good long-term relationships, I've still encountered dry spells from time to time. A little over a year ago I was wondering whether the halcyon days on UW were over for me. But for most of this calendar year I've had as much as I can handle. (This is not my whole business, I have clients off the platform, too.)

I just checked my numbers. I have been on the platform exactly five years, give or take a week. I have 578 archived proposals, 471 archived interviews and a total of 56 contracts -- some of which actually contained several projects.

It's definitely a long game and it can feel like a grind. I got very efficient with proposals -- every one is written specifically for a job post but I rarely spend as long as 10 minutes on one and more often it's five minutes or less. I am not trying to get them to hire me, I'm trying to get them to answer me so we can get acquainted and do mutual fact-finding. 

Phyllis G wrote:

The answer to your question might vary by category. I don't recall that getting the TR badge made a huge difference. It seems to me I picked up momentum as I got more contracts into my history (which of course, correlated with getting the TR badge). I breathed easier once I had the fb removal perk in my pocket. (I consider it a talisman as much as anything else!)

I will say that even after years with the TR badge and establishing some good long-term relationships, I've still encountered dry spells from time to time. A little over a year ago I was wondering whether the halcyon days on UW were over for me. But for most of this calendar year I've had as much as I can handle. (This is not my whole business, I have clients off the platform, too.)

I just checked my numbers. I have been on the platform exactly five years, give or take a week. I have 578 archived proposals, 471 archived interviews and a total of 56 contracts -- some of which actually contained several projects.

It's definitely a long game and it can feel like a grind. I got very efficient with proposals -- every one is written specifically for a job post but I rarely spend as long as 10 minutes on one and more often it's five minutes or less. I am not trying to get them to hire me, I'm trying to get them to answer me so we can get acquainted and do mutual fact-finding. 

Thank you for your reply. That's a pretty successful proposal to interview ratio. I probably get an interview for one out of every nine or ten proposals (but I nearly always get the job once we get talking).

What I notice these days is a lot of people who don't seem to be serious about hiring anyone. I used to follow up on the jobs I applied for, and most of them weren't filled as a result of the ads here on the site. 

I think perhaps money earned has a lot to do with being hired too. That figure on the left of the profile means a lot. If people have paid you $10k, you can't be all bad.

I tend to avoid certain types of job where the would-be client rarely follows up and hires anyone. People with ambitious book projects (especially grandiose autobiographic ambitions) seem to be the worst offenders. They often seem to forget all about the idea once they've slept on it.

2a05aa63
Community Member

Robert Y wrote:

Does it become much easier to find jobs after you transition from 100 percent JSS to top rated? If all goes well, I'll be top rated ten weeks from now.

I'm worn out sending out proposals, especially as I put some effort into writing each one to match the job in question. I've sent out 121 in the last 90 days, resulting in nine jobs. I spend a lot more time applying for jobs than doing them. I hope TR status brings a change.

Summer isusually on the low end on job hunting. The same goes for the holiday season. I've been looking something new since June and haven't found anything good yet. In September there should be more jobs.

02d3e798
Community Member

Hi that sounds like a fairly standard rate of return so just keep plugging away. Top Rated helps, I don't think 100% makes such a difference when everyone has 100% (I don't and it doesn't seem to affect me). 

With proposals I just try and keep them short 1 paragraph saying I'm an expert with lots of experience at what they need (I will only apply for jobs in my focused niche) and just end with a few questions which shows you have read the proposal without needing to say I have read the proposal. Quick 5 mins a proposal - maybe an hour or two a week depending on workflow.

Like everyone has said its also summer so fewer jobs and longer lead times on decisions. Good luck on the road to Top Rated. :thumbsup: 

Andrew M wrote:

Hi that sounds like a fairly standard rate of return so just keep plugging away. Top Rated helps, I don't think 100% makes such a difference when everyone has 100% (I don't and it doesn't seem to affect me). 

With proposals I just try and keep them short 1 paragraph saying I'm an expert with lots of experience at what they need (I will only apply for jobs in my focused niche) and just end with a few questions which shows you have read the proposal without needing to say I have read the proposal. Quick 5 mins a proposal - maybe an hour or two a week depending on workflow.

Like everyone has said its also summer so fewer jobs and longer lead times on decisions. Good luck on the road to Top Rated. :thumbsup: 

Thanks, yes, I did think it was probably that business had slowed down in summer. That might also be the reason a lot of people weren't following up on the jobs they'd posted.

Dry periods happen, often for no apparent explanation, and being top-rated doesn't change that. 

I'm going through a dry spell at the moment, albeit with a couple of long-term clients keeping me ticking over. There's so little available in my category right now - I suspect a lot of online marketing agencies have their minds on beer and sun rather than having content created. 

It'll likely pick up again once the weather changes and people get out of holiday mode. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Robert Y wrote:

Your conversion rate is not bad at all. 

I don't think it makes a huge difference. Many many people have reported here that they actually experienced a decrease. This might be due to perception, though, because when you expect a huge uptick that doesn't happen, it might feel like a decrease. 

If you don't expect it to make a difference, you will not be disappointed. Don't expect a big change in any case, that's unlikely to happen. 

bevcam
Community Member

Everyone has already mentioned valuable points Robert but I'd like to support the shorter, targeted proposals.

Although I write proposals for each specific job, I always keep them short; never more than a few lines. I keep the text upbeat and mention my skills specifically related to the job post. If I've done similar work I might include links, and then ask clients to contact me for more info (and say I'd love to work on the project or know more).

roberty1y
Community Member

Bev C wrote:

Everyone has already mentioned valuable points Robert but I'd like to support the shorter, targeted proposals.

Although I write proposals for each specific job, I always keep them short; never more than a few lines. I keep the text upbeat and mention my skills specifically related to the job post. If I've done similar work I might include links, and then ask clients to contact me for more info (and say I'd love to work on the project or know more).

Thanks, yes, that's what I've been trying to do, keep them short. I posted one job as a client once and got around 50 proposals in around an hour or so. Some of them were whole essays in themselves, rambling off in every direction.

2a05aa63
Community Member

Just to confirm the summer effect:
I just got a reply from a job invitation from a month ago. The client says they were on vacation and they want to follow up on the project and hired me today :^)

Viacheslav K wrote:

Just to confirm the summer effect:
I just got a reply from a job invitation from a month ago. The client says they were on vacation and they want to follow up on the project and hired me today :^)

If there's a similar delayed action response from all the clients I applied to over the summer, I'll be getting an avalanche of offers. 😁

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members