Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Being Harassed and Slandered by a former client

Ace Contributor
Zac G Member Since: Nov 27, 2016
1 of 24

Hey all -

 

Looking for some advice on what to do in this situation, UW support isn't much help. So very short, and to avoid any community guideline violations I had a client for an hourly contract - I was building a video to go along with his history articles from scratch (He provided me with a VO.... and incredibily Low-Res images.) Took me about two weeks since it was the Xmas Holiday, roughly about 8 hours of work. I sent him a draft over the holiday, it had a misspelling in it which I promptly fixed after in addition to things he wanted changed, sent him those over the next week (Which was a new billing week). He proceeded to dispute those two hours claiming he wasn't paying for poor quality work, I refunded him those two hours instantly - and I even did the revisions to his project for free, and then I closed the contract.

 

A week later, I get a notification from UW dispute center with a super vague note asking about a refund, which I refused since the work was already done and he had a "Finished Product" to his standards, that thread continued for a week (The entire time I never heard from this client.... he was just complaining to UW support). UW eventually just closed the case since I had already been paid the brunt of the contract and he was past the point of dispute, he has know left a several paragraph 1 star review on my UW Profile full of false claims and slander. 

 

On top of the review, he is attacking my personal portfolio site, my facebook, and my Instagram full of similar comments to the ones posted on my UW profile. I had to shut down comments on my portfolio, and make all comments on insta and facebook be approved before posting.... I'm getting hundreds a day.

 

 

What are my options here.... My lawyer friend says that this could be considered slander, but I don't know what I can do against a guy who's in Europe.

 

 

Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
2 of 24

Well basically nothing.  Just suck it up and move on. 

Ace Contributor
Zac G Member Since: Nov 27, 2016
3 of 24

So my former client gets to run off with a finished product that he didn't pay for and I get a part-time job of moderating all of my sites against a man-child?

 

That doesn't seem right.

Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
BEST ANSWER
4 of 24

@Zac G wrote:

So my former client gets to run off with a finished product that he didn't pay for and I get a part-time job of moderating all of my sites against a man-child?

 

That doesn't seem right.


 

Can't you ban him from your own sites? Meanwhile it looks like Upwork is looking into what you've said is harrassment on here.

 

I'm not being unsympathetic, and I don't know your story. I'm just saying, don't LET him post on your sites. 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 24

I agree with Melanie,

 

However the OP manages his clients on Upwork, it is absolutely unacceptable that he should be harrassed and bullied by this client on his own social media sites. I do hope Nina is right and that Upwork is looking into this. Bad feedback on this site is one thing and may or may not be justified, but Upwork should definitely frown on their clients who campaign against Upwork freelancers outside this platform.

 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 24

@Nichola L wrote:

I agree with Melanie,

 

However the OP manages his clients on Upwork, it is absolutely unacceptable that he should be harrassed and bullied by this client on his own social media sites. I do hope Nina is right and that Upwork is looking into this. Bad feedback on this site is one thing and may or may not be justified, but Upwork should definitely frown on their clients who campaign against Upwork freelancers outside this platform.

 


 Just to add that I completely agree with this! (Don't want my previous post to imply that I do not)

Prevention is better than cure though Smiley Wink

Ace Contributor
Zac G Member Since: Nov 27, 2016
7 of 24

@Melanie - I've disabled comments on my portfolio site (I honestly didn't even know it had that feature). As for my social media sites, I've put them all on that "Approval Only" setting, but thats incredibily annoying, I don't want to have to moderate my life like that

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 24

You can ban individual users on your Social Media, and probably his IP on your Portfolio site Smiley Happy

 


@Zac G wrote:

@Melanie - I've disabled comments on my portfolio site (I honestly didn't even know it had that feature). As for my social media sites, I've put them all on that "Approval Only" setting, but thats incredibily annoying, I don't want to have to moderate my life like that


 

Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
9 of 24

@Zac G wrote:

@Melanie - I've disabled comments on my portfolio site (I honestly didn't even know it had that feature). As for my social media sites, I've put them all on that "Approval Only" setting, but thats incredibily annoying, I don't want to have to moderate my life like that


I can understand that. I'm willing to bet this guy is going to run out of steam, and probably pretty quickly. He has his life to lead too. He needs to run out of gas eventually. I get that this is annoying.

 

I won't comment on conflict resolution in general as you are discussing with other posters as I don't know much about your history. But it seems like tempers ran REALLY high...really fast. Things like that tend to burn out quickly too. If not, that's when you worry about more drastic measures. Right now you've pretty much done what you can. Hope this ends for both of you quickly. 

Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
10 of 24

Hi Zac,

The team is already investigating the information you provided in your open ticket and will be updating you directly via the ticket since we aren't able to share details here in the community.

~Nina
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS