cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being harassed by a client (formerly : Client want to cancel after all the requirements...)

mario-chirinos
Community Guru
Mario C Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
1 of 27

I have a client with whom i started a contact  with this monday with a deadline for monday 7.  

I just deliver tonight  the final  version of the project after two rounds of corrections  from the client. 

The client  is unhappy because  of the corrections he had to point out for me to fix.  

He offerme just 50% of the amount agreed,  leave  no feedback and hire me for a new project,   with no options left i agree  to his terms. 

When he tryed to close the contract he realize that the new system  rules don't  allow him to leave no feedback  so he now wants to cancel the contract so i wont be paid. 

What sould i do?  Should i agree to cancel the contract  and give him back the escrow or open a dispute?  The project is complete  with all the changes he requested. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 27

This client's behavior is inexcusable and violates Upwork ToS.

It is very reasonable of you to agree to let him pay 50% of the original contract price.

His refusal to pay anything because he was asked to click a few buttons to provide feedback seems like game-playing.

mario-chirinos
Community Guru
3 of 27

@Preston H wrote:

This client's behavior is inexcusable and violates Upwork ToS.

But  what  will happen  if i open a dispute? 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 27

Actually something does not make add up here.

Mario, confirm if the contract is ended please, in case I am jumping to a conclusion...

petra_r
Community Guru
5 of 27

@Mario C wrote:

He offerme just 50% of the amount agreed,  leave  no feedback and hire me for a new project, 

Why would he want to hire you on a new project, and more to the point: why would you even consider that?

There is nothing new about the fact that the person who closes the contract has to leave feedback.

He could release 50% to you and then YOU could close the contract, that way he won't have to leave feedfack. You however would have to.

And either way, it will count against your JSS

prestonhunter
Community Guru
6 of 27

re: "Why would he want to hire you on a new project"

I doubt the client was being honest about wanting to hire the contractor again. The client probably thought this would seem like an added incentive.

petra_r
Community Guru
7 of 27

@Preston H wrote:

re: "Why would he want to hire you on a new project"

I doubt the client was being honest about wanting to hire the contractor again. The client probably thought this would seem like an added incentive.

Yes, I was thinking that, or else he would not have been that keen to get the contract ended, and would have just used another milestone for that "new project"

mario-chirinos
Community Guru
8 of 27

He have already  submitted  a request  for cancellation. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
9 of 27

How much money and how many hours of work are we talking about?

You can refuse to agree to any cancellation, but this job might not be worth fighting over. Formal disputes can be messy, expensive, laborious processes that are bes avoided at all cost.

mario-chirinos
Community Guru
10 of 27

400usd 

@Preston H wrote:

How much money and how many hours of work are we talking about?

You can refuse to agree to any cancellation, but this job might not be worth fighting over. Formal disputes can be messy, expensive, laborious processes that are bes avoided at all cost.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS