cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware! oDesk allows Clients to change Freelancer's history for a closed and paid contracts - i.e. at any time

zcrendel
Grigory M Member Since: Oct 13, 2009
61 of 80
Dear Misty, all of these things was described in the topic. Please read it carefully. > because it came across as complaining it is complainig about oDesk policy (read the topic please) and certaintly about how support just went away from the issue without solving it one or another way. > But taking it to support is about all that can be done. Again, support just went away. And I decided this problem become into public discussion, cause it's dangerous to freelancers if even support does nothing even on direct request! > Nothing can be achieved in the forums (other than a clear argument that is apparent). I want to discuss, beware frelancers and wanna hear more from support here. Up to the forum happened after support did nothing! I will never give up in asking you read the topic carefully. All is described there. Regards
coffman-robin
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
62 of 80
[quote=Misty Keith]If you're implying I attacked the OP, that is not fair. Anyone who goes back and reads the discussion I've had with him will see I was giving my own advice.[/quote] Misty, these are your first words to the OP: [quote=Misty Keith]If I was your client I wouldn't change anything for you. You're being obnoxious really. ...You should be thankful you had a fair client and had some work. It is annoying to see a complaint like this. How is it hurting you? It's not. ...Move on, nothing can be done about it. All that energy you're using complaining could be put to working.[/quote] These are not words of advice. No, it wasn't just you. Others implied that OP wasn't "nice" ("ask nicely...yada yada," implying that asking nicely is a novel idea that was beyond OP coming up with on his own), or that he wasn't worth his salt. We even heard that any freelancer should be just fine with a code for a job title. He has been called immature and unprofessional and his voicing his concern has been likened to stomping up and down. He has been devalued and much of it has actually been stomach-turning to read from this end. I can only imagine it from his perspective. I respect the way Grigory has consistently conducted himself with dignity throughout, simply insisting that the conversation remain on topic and avoid personal assaults. Everyone is free to their own opinions, but if those opinions degrade the character of someone else, it is wise to think twice before voicing them. Edit: Oh, I forgot the revolting "suck it up" advice. Before you dig yourself an even deeper hole, Misty, follow your own advice. You were rude and have been called on it. Suck it up and move on.
mistykeith
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
63 of 80
**Nevermind** Just best to let it go, my philosophy.
msayno
Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
64 of 80
is more like it, I'd say as Robin didn't mention you in particular. While everyone's entitled to their own opinions - I think that just because you assume something doesn't mean it has to apply to all of us here. Like, saying that 'Nothing can be achieved in the forums' is false to start with. I clearly recall this huge bug in the system getting fixed recently because a genius coder came to the forums and talked about it. The forums have been helpful to many of us and sometimes, tickets get prioritized when people start talking about a thread here. But hey, I'd love to borrow your words: My opinion yet again Odesk :) ETA: IMHO, I think the problem can be fixed if there's a way in the system to retrieve the original job title entered. I wonder if this is possible - maybe retrace the archive of job applications+cover letters sent.. Not really sure. Anyone from Odesk's technical team?
zcrendel
65 of 80
> retrieve the original job title entered. Just checked: In "My Job"=>"Contracts" (with "ended contracts" checkbox in checked state) this finished contract appears with correct title, but in work history it is "a".
msayno
Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
66 of 80
Cool! Maybe, you can take a screenshot and update the ticket you've sent -- this will prove you're right and Odesk might just change it back for you 😉
zcrendel
67 of 80
Support team (since it is oDesk part itself) has ability to see my "ended contracts list" if they want to really solve the issue (which I do not see so far).
marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
68 of 80
I was trying to "suck it up" myself and not say anything about this before, but there was something suspiciously defensive about the reaction of some posters to Grigory's complaint. It's as though they were trying to suppress discussion of the topic. Grigory had a legitimate complaint about oDesk policy - he's certainly not the first person to complain about an aspect of how oDesk works, discussed it politely, and certain people on the thread immediately tried to change the topic from the real problem to "Don't be rude to the client," which Grigory never was. In fact, his complaint was clearly directed at oDesk. The "be grateful that you had a job and got paid" attitude is what's rude. It's condescending and disrespectful. Maybe it works with unskilled, bottom feeder freelancers, but Grigory is certainly not in that class. Personally, I don't know if I would have had Grigory's patience and waited a full month for a response from the client before making a big deal about the problem. When it comes to my livelihood, I don't put up with ********, and I don't expect anyone else to.
zcrendel
69 of 80
> but there was something suspiciously defensive about the reaction of some posters to Grigory's complaint. Let me play a bit of detective. All the following conslusions are just randomly thoughts, all names just fictional (but you know, huh?). Misty in fact forced she's opinion (based on just non-friendly intuition) in this thread and moreover she did/does that over my person instead of making a discussion of the topic (and it was pretty rude in initial comments, you know). But, a bit later she posted interesting conclusion: "Yes, Odesk itself does have some horrible fixations going on. I'm not going to be staying here any longer myself. There are still some good things too though. The platform has simply gone down hill over the past two years." which is really greatly looks beside of advice's "suck it up" series. While in a near fresh topic (about another "great" oDesk initiative - what odesk does hide someone's applications) Margaret wrote interesting suspicion: "It appears oDesk wants to frustrate clients so much that they head to Elance." "Elance bought oDesk and Elance charges contractors so natch they want us all to flock there." and btw, still not even a one comment from oDesk support here, but they said what my support request remain (i.e. in their queue) after I gave them a link to this topic. Hmm... just my feelings (c) Misty
mistykeith
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
70 of 80
Wow is all I can really say. It is simply funny to me that people have been put down in these very forums before, horribly so, by a specific group of individuals that need not be named, and no one ever defended them. What a hypocrisy going on here, but it isn't surprising. I'm done, so have fun berating me because my eyes and ears won't be here to see it. Thank God! By the way, there was nothing SUSPICIOUS about anything that was stated here. And I can about bet, if it would have been myself coming to this forum with the same complaint as the OP would have had, I would have been berated and put down. I know it for a fact. Why? Because people want to make assumptions that are unjustified as they always have. PERIOD. Talk about turning the stomach, what a freaking joke. Oh, and just the number of views on this thread (well over 1100) where others have barely reached 100 shows that there are drama feeders here on these forums. So, whatever. Have fun with your thoughts. This will soon be buried in the bottom of the pile.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS