cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bidding on Job

prowriterusa
Leslie C Member Since: Jan 9, 2016
1 of 13

Client posts high job rate in thousands, but the description states for one article. I assume the high rate is the budget for the entire scope of the project but states  they need writers. I assume I should just bid -xxx.00 for the one article and not 0000.00 

It is a bit unclear if they were looking for one writer or more than one. 

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 13

Leslie,

Check if the client has a good track record, and if his/her payment is verified. It is not necessarily a scam, but you might find yourself committed to churning out dozens of articles for very little pay. The 1000s could be in return for thousands of articles - be careful.

Edited to add: I wouldn't say this one is worth wasting two connects on. If you bid say, $100 for a 500-word article, I doubt you will even get an answer, but I could be wrong. Make sure if you work with this client that escrow is funded in full, or that it is set up as an hourly job with the tracker turned on.

Community Leader
Richard H Member Since: Aug 22, 2015
3 of 13

Simply state in your proposal that your bid is for 1 article only and you'll be glad to write more for $$$ per article.  If he accepts that you'll be fine.  Chances are he won't accept your proposal because he's trying to slip one over on an unsuspecting freelancer.

mirshahzad
Community Leader
Shahzad A Member Since: Feb 25, 2015
4 of 13

Dear Leslie C,

You can mention your real bid of one article in your proposal, also you can discuss it with the client at the time of interview. It might be typing mistake from the client or the client want to a freelancer for the long term job. Best of Luck at the Upwork.

colettelewis
Community Guru
5 of 13

@Shahzad A wrote:

Dear Leslie C,

You can mention your real bid of one article in your proposal, also you can discuss it with the client at the time of interview. It might be typing mistake from the client or the client want to a freelancer for the long term job. Best of Luck at the Upwork.

Shahzad,

I do not think there will be anything to discuss - these sorts of people do not do dialogue. As I suggested in my answer to the OP's question, it is not worth her while bidding on this job. It is not a typing error - believe me.

Jennifer put it rather more bluntly, but she is right.

mirshahzad
Community Leader
Shahzad A Member Since: Feb 25, 2015
6 of 13

Nichola L,

You might be right, but I still stand on my point.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 13

I don't know what it is with the fake profile people but they love their dentistry stock photos.

colettelewis
Community Guru
8 of 13

Perhaps Jen, but it is for Upwork to suss this out!

The OP has in fact, asked a genuine question, which could help other freelancers wondering the same thing. 😉

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 13

oh right.

I can already tell you what the job is. It's posted with a 4-digit budget but wants to pay $1/100 words or worse. The budget is for thousands of articles. She mentions "writers"... red flag.

The combination of "writers" with a 4-diit budget is red flag for farming.

If I wasn't so lazy today I might go try to find it. It seems the farmers lately have been posting high budgets and then burying the real pay in the description. Like the guy who was inviting every writer and their mother to his $5000 gig but he needed 1000 articles. LOL

Even worse, if you agreed to work at that rate, I would bet my house that the guy doesn't really have $5k but instead planned to string the writer along because he was delusional thinking the initial junk articles would make him enough to generate income for the rest.

I know my spammers.

colettelewis
Community Guru
10 of 13

@Jennifer M wrote:

oh right.

I can already tell you what the job is. It's posted with a 4-digit budget but wants to pay $1/100 words or worse. The budget is for thousands of articles. She mentions "writers"... red flag.

The combination of "writers" with a 4-diit budget is red flag for farming.

If I wasn't so lazy today I might go try to find it. It seems the farmers lately have been posting high budgets and then burying the real pay in the description. Like the guy who was inviting every writer and their mother to his $5000 gig but he needed 1000 articles. LOL

Even worse, if you agreed to work at that rate, I would bet my house that the guy doesn't really have $5k but instead planned to string the writer along because he was delusional thinking the initial junk articles would make him enough to generate income for the rest.

I know my spammers.

I agree, I agree, but it still raises a flag for those who do not know their spammers!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS