cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLIENT wants me to delete all the worked hours so that I don't get negative feedback

Highlighted
Noel Addison A Member Since: Nov 4, 2014
1 of 11

This client is the worst client I have experienced working with since 2009. As you can see, I have been working 7,0000+ hours on oDesk and I had clients that lasts for many years.

The job description is SEO Expert. I guess what he needs is a Link Builder because everytime I am starting with my proposed SEO plan which was approved by his of course, he always tells me that I am doing wrong or he wanted to do his own way. Why you would hire me if you think you know more?

I don't recommend this client to anyone. He harassed me on Skype chat telling me that if I don't want negative feedback, I need to remove all the time I logged on oDesk. I have started working with him since December 10, 2014 and yet I have only logged 6:10 hours up to date. I have not logged the time I was working with the SEO plan because he didn't want to. I have also 2-hour manual time request because my oDesk client on my PC is not working properly and can't cached my worked hours.

I will file a dispute against this client. I have been on oDesk since 2009 and I know the rules.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
2 of 11
Report him. especially for feedback blackmail.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
3 of 11

Does reporting really do any good? 

I've got a problem with a client who asked in the job application for free work and again in the interview process for free work...called "test articles". He wants 1-2 free articles and he's interviewing 5 people. Do the math people Smiley Happy

It's lucky that his topic is one where I wrote a newspaper column about for 2 years. I sent him the link, wich is working, and he still asked for a test article saying the link would not work for him.

This is the first interview I've been able to get in 2 months of trying, so I'm trying to get around the test article as he's asking for free work and violation Odesk's terms.

Why did they even allow this post to go live and if I complain will they actually do something before everyone hands in test articles?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
4 of 11

Is this client a good match for you as a freelancer despite the fact finding jobs is not as easy as it was in the past? Have you accepted a job offer from this client? Do the right thing (move on to the next one).

I believe we used to have a process whereby job postings were reviewed at least on a random basis. I am not certain if we still have that practice in place.

Ron aka LanWanMan
Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 11

JS,

All clients who have used unpaid work or asked for free work are so far still very much active on the site. With one such case, I contacted godaddy and google because this site won't do anything at all.

End result, godaddy took down the client's whole e-commerce website for a few days (yeyyy justice!) and google took them from the 1st page to 2nd or 3rd. Moral of the story: report at oDesk but don't expect them to do anything about it.

Btw I'm posting like this because posting in big and visible fonts resulted to my posts being censored and deleted for allegedly not adhering to forum guidelines.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
6 of 11

Hi Noel! We are sorry to hear that you are having difficulty resolving issues with a particular client.

One thing you should probably NOT do is make a full refund and end the contract. Doing so might be perceived as taking such action only to avoid back feedback. As a result, that might be held against you should your freelancer account ever be placed under review at oDesk.

Definitely report the problem to oDesk Support via the oDesk Help Center https://support.odesk.com/ Be sure to provide oDesk Support evidence of any real act of "feedback extortion."

Note that in some cases a client might be trying to avoid initiating a formal dispute against a freelancer by trying to negotiate with the freelancer first. It is a simple question involving "customer satisfaction." In other words, whether or not the client is satisfied with the work provided in return for monies paid.

If not satisfied, the client does have the right to request that the freelancer initiate a refund. The client could also advise the freelancer of what action he/she intends to take if a refund is not made. If not satisfied, the client does have the right to leave the freelancer bad feedback and ratings.

Notice that we have been discussing refunds not deleting time from the oDesk Work Diary. Maybe the client (or even the freelancer) does not understand that when he/she reviews the Work Diary they have the option of approving or disapproving hours logged. After payments have been made, one option left is for the freelancer to initiate a refund. Maybe client would be receptive to partial refund.

Hints & Tips:

1) Always ensure that the job posting, an offer to hire, and acceptance of offer are collectively well-defined with regard to, as a minimum, seven key questions: Who, What, Why, When, Where, How, and How Much?

2) Retake the "Search Engine Optimization Test" in order to improve your test score, which should increase your chances of getting jobs on oDesk.

Resources:

"Hourly, Bonus, and Expense Reimbursement Payment Agreement with Escrow Instructions" https://www.odesk.com/info/terms/escrow/hourly/

References:

oDesk Help Center https://support.odesk.com

Ron aka LanWanMan
Highlighted
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
7 of 11

Thanks for the helfpul advice here Ron. 

You're right and the advice here is to follow up with our Support team so we can advise on next steps. Thanks for jumping in to offer some guidance.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
8 of 11

I think this could have been avoided if the client gets a 101 guide or list of Do's and Dont's in a short, simple and concise form when hiring a freelancer -- as not all clients have the time to read everything in the resource section.

IMHO, this scenario is all about trust issue --> the client doesn't trust the freelancer to do his job.  Why not have a How to Handle Difficult Situation guide for freelancers where they can have quick tips on how to handle this?  For example, a list of phrases to use to deal with certain situations.  For example, in this case, here's what I can think of:

" I understand you want to have (insert tasks) done.. and here's what I believe will work (insert recommendation)"

and in desperate situation, this works for me like magic:

" Please help me.... help you"

A lot of people here are new to freelancing so having something like this will not only help them, the clients -- but will lessen the number of tickets as well.  Everybody happy Woman Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
9 of 11
That's a great idea Marissa. I do hope that they get someone who freelances at oDesk to do that because if someone who has no idea about how oDesk works writes it (like many new stuff) then it will only cause more problems.

Highlighted
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
10 of 11

I'm not sure if freelancers know how this place works anymore either.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS