cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caching issue?

Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
1 of 10

I've been tinkering with computers for the past 33 years, and dropped any developer interest about 29 years ago. So I throw this out to anyone who's more knowledgable to tell me if this is an actual caching issue as support tells me, or is to the best of my knowledge have absolutely nothing to do with caching at all? My rate has never been lower than $3/hr.

My thoughts are a) CS management aren't communicating known bugs to their support team. b) CS management tell their team that 90% of support tickets are due to caching, so they all fall back on that as a solution when they don't know what else to say c) It's a new bug and rather than offer me to tell their team of engineers about it, he'd rather just give me a fake answer and move on because he isn't getting paid enough to actually care about the company he works for.

So.. if I'm wrong, please tell me.profile rate bg.jpg

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 10

Hi Tony,

I am sorry you are experiencing the issue and were not satisfied with the reply you received from the Customer Support. I checked and was not able to replicate the issue you are having, and I suspect that the support representative wasn't able to do it earlier either. That's why we needed to rule out that it's caused by a caching issue or any other issue on your end.

Could you please, let us know if you are still having the issue after clearing cache and cookies? Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 10

Giggling here...

Community Guru
4 of 10

It resolved itself the next proposal I attempted, while talking to the support fellow. Can't replicate it here either. No cookies or anything were deleted, it was there only for one proposal. Worked before and after

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 10

Hint:

50% of Upwork issues are user error. (This is not one of them)

40% of the rest, especially random site errors - stuff like this, can be solved by doing a hard refresh (Ctrl + F5 pressed together on Windows, something different on fancy stuff like a MAC), clearing cache, or using a different browser.

In the remaining 10% - if user error has been ruled out and repeated hard refreshes, cache clearing, trying a different browsers, having a cup of coffee and going for a beer does not solve the issue, by all means contact support.

Be patient when you do! If something gives an error just the once try again after a few minutes, hard refresh etc, 

before contacting support as this will save you time in the event that the error doesn't exist any longer. It also prevents confusing a rep who won't be able to recreate the issue as the issue isn't there any longer.

Community Guru
6 of 10

The issue isn't actually 'fixed' though is it? I do not beleive it is a cache issue as it is displaying an inconsistancy that has nothing to do with any previous settings on my end. I have never lowered by rate less and $35/hr. So it isn't loading a old version of anything, and even so it worked fine just before.

If this happened to a site that I worked on, I would want to figure out why it's happening. If I owned the site, I would want my staff to inform me of the problem and let me decide if it's worth looking into or not.

Perhaps the issue will never surface again, but it is a symptom of a buggy site and one I would add to a list of weird happenings. Even if the individual issue was a one-off, a list of seemingly random issues may at some point reveal a common problem with code or the DB structure.

It bugs me that no one really seems to care about these things father than the moment. For example, if you have a bleeding nose and it stops after you stuff a wad of tissue up there for an hour.. it doesn't mean the reason for the bleed is fixed. You may have an underlying condition that causes other seemingly unrealted symptoms as well, but unless you write a health journal, your Doctor will never be able to figure out what is wrong with you. To the average person, they may seem unrealted. To a trained professional they may see a connection and be able to fix a problem at it's root cause.

Same thing with programming. There are a lot of moving parts that people don't understand and wouldn't think to connect one with the other.

Al S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
7 of 10

@Petra: Sorry to say this, but this is ridiculous.

Upwork support drives me crazy with answering each support request telling one should clear cookies, close browser etc. If you have a slight idea of IT, you know that in most cases this is not the reason. I don't know where you have the number of 40%.

The problem is, that the support team is instructed by the management to give these answers. I have to say, most often it is a stupid answer (sorry to be rude, but this topic really makes me mad). And they do not understand it. I recently opened a ticket about this topic requesting to talk to somebody of the management team about this, the support was not able to differentiate, that my ticket is about nonsense-answers and not about the initial problem I had. Another bad behaviour is, that support sets the ticket to close, even it is not closed.

Upwork had a lot of performance problems in the last 1.5 years. It took 1 year until the CEO wrote a message to all that they have this problem and are going to solve it. But I can tell you, I as client who relies on a working upwork site, I am really angry when I get answers such as restarting the browser when I tell the support team that there are performance problems e.g. since 2 days.

Community Leader
Sebastian N Member Since: Sep 22, 2015
8 of 10

This can actually be a cache issue.

There is quite a lot data that is saved to cookies / local storage and probably quite a few other means of preserving data. Like keeping a set of data in the memory of the server to avoid querying a 10mil freelancers profile database every time.

In that case doing a hard refresh won't solve the issue.

This is done to minimize/optimize loading times. If the data wasn't cached on those layers then the site would be way slower than it already is.

Chances are that something went wrong while retrieving your current user data either on the client or the server and it just took some time to fetch a new set of your data.

I would just ignore it unless it happens multiple times

Al S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
9 of 10

This is definetely no caching issue. I am happy to explain it to you.

Upwork uses a server network in order to keep up performance. This is logical.

What can happen is that for example you enter a message, but it is not seen in another window or your business partner does not yet see it. This is a caching issue.

What can happen is that data is not synchronized between servers. This is a caching issue.

What can happen is that your browser keeps some data before it refreshs. This is a caching issue.

What can also happen is that your proxy server keeps some data before it refreshs. This is a caching issue

But all other things are not caching issues:

1. When the website hangs or you have to wait 1 minute until it loads, it is a hardware/performance issue. To tell it is a caching issue is nonsense. To tell 3 times the same useless answer is not helpful, indeed it makes one angry.

2. When I see advertising inserted in my messages, then it is not a caching issue. Do you understand why? If not, I recommend you should first understand basics of caching. Caching problems to not create new information suddenly on a page.

--> I am sorry to say this, but your comment is not a post to help solving this problem.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 10

You posted this in the client section too. You have malware.

ETA: It's likely the performance issues you're seeing is because the malware is sending data and killing your bandwidth. Better fix it stat.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS