🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can You Decrease the Hold Period on Payments?
Page options
kire_t
Community Member

Can You Decrease the Hold Period on Payments?

Hi, guys!

I kind of have a finanical issue right now. I got paid just today for a job, but I don't get paid until Monday. My rent is due on Friday which would be fine if it was the 1st, but it's the 5th and past that day it will increase which is not an option for me. I also wouldn't be pressed for this payment if I hadn't had issues paying on time these last past 3 months.

Is there a possiblity that Upwork could go from processing it on Monday to possibly doing it Friday instead if I let them know the situation? I would just need it this one time. I'm a struggling college student and was one day off with getting paid to where I would have had it on Friday instead of Monday.

Any help would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance guys!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kire, 

I'm so sorry to learn about your situation. I can confirm that our team is not considering reducing the timeline for automatically releasing Escrow funds, and we are also unable to do this manually from the back-end. 

Our team is still looking into solutions that will allow for the security period to be reduced while maintaining a high level of protection users' payments currently have. While we continue to test ways to get freelancers' earnings faster to them, at this point we are not able to offer shorter security period for all transactions. Security remains to be our priority.

I would recommend that you read up on the Weekly Billing Cycle so that you can familiarize yourself with the timing of how your earnings are processed in your account. You may also check out these payment method options, and check the "Timings & Fees" article for each option so that you can pick out a payment method that is most convenient for you. 

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
katrinabeaver
Community Member

I'm sorry you're in this situation. I know how scary it can be. 

With that said, Upwork can't do something like this. There are thousands of freelancers here that would love to get their money early, hundreds that have similar problems, fact is they won't do that because then everybody would want it done. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
prestonhunter
Community Member

Kire:

Sorry.

That is not how this works.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kire, 

I'm so sorry to learn about your situation. I can confirm that our team is not considering reducing the timeline for automatically releasing Escrow funds, and we are also unable to do this manually from the back-end. 

Our team is still looking into solutions that will allow for the security period to be reduced while maintaining a high level of protection users' payments currently have. While we continue to test ways to get freelancers' earnings faster to them, at this point we are not able to offer shorter security period for all transactions. Security remains to be our priority.

I would recommend that you read up on the Weekly Billing Cycle so that you can familiarize yourself with the timing of how your earnings are processed in your account. You may also check out these payment method options, and check the "Timings & Fees" article for each option so that you can pick out a payment method that is most convenient for you. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths