cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the order of Milestones be changed?

Kate S Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
1 of 22

Hi! 

I have a long-term client who just enters new milestones for me as more work becomes available. So far, this is great.

But, now, there is a milestone (Milestone X) that is entered at the end of a long list of milestones. The date on Milestone X is 2/25, and I completed the work on 2/25, but there are 5 milestones in line ahead of it that go through 3/26.

I can't submit work on Milestone X (only on the top milestone in the list). Is there any way for me or the client to move Milestone X to the top of the pile?

Thanks!

Kate Smith

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 22

Hi Kate,

There's no option to reorder Milestones as they need to be released in the order they were created.

The Milestone dates are optional and don't affect the release or status of the Milestone, so you have the option to speak with your client and agree to submit the work for the first available Milestone. If needed, clients do have the option to amend the Milestone amount on release.

Community Guru
Cheryl K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
3 of 22

one word

Klunky

Chris W Member Since: May 13, 2016
4 of 22

milestones should be able to be resorted. i need to do that as well....

Kate S Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
5 of 22

Thanks @Vladimir.

I think that next time we have a job like that - that needs to go to the front of the line, I'll ask that my client create a new job.

Kate

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 22

Hi Kate,

Your client also has the option to process the payment for this work as a bonus payment on the same contract, without having to take any extra steps or create a new contract. Please note that bonus payments are not covered by Upwork's Fixed-Price Protection program.

Dave B Member Since: Feb 28, 2019
7 of 22

Why is the reordering of milestones not a thing yet? You are a company servicing primarily tech workers of which a majority operate in an agile manner. This is a problem for clients and providers alike. This should be a no brainer and a relatively small feature implement with huge benefits to the users of your platform.

The client and the provider can't always predict the manner in which things are to be executed and milestones not currently in escrow should be rearrangeable.

Richard M Member Since: Mar 4, 2016
8 of 22

This is really bad policy (not being able to change the order of milestones.  Is there a way to vote this up for implementation in a future version?

Jeremy A Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
9 of 22

This really needs to get fixed as a top priority. So many of us employers run into this constantly and have to fight with the **bleep** tool to get it in the correct order.

The ability to order them is a standard development skill. This having been around for more than a year...just silly. Losing customers over an already detected but deprioritized (or not maybe even not documented) bug.

Rudolf G Member Since: Apr 25, 2016
10 of 22

I am a client and I have just reordered milestones.

It is a bit of an effort, but can be done, if the client agrees:

assume you want to have milestone 9 before milestone 8 is finished, then (that has to be done by the client)

1) copy milestone 8 to another document

2) copy milestone 9 into milestone 8 and correct the amount

3) copy back the original milestone 8 as milestone 9 and correct the amount.

thats it

make sure, that the client does not forget to set the correct ammount, because that is done in another column.

An I agree, there should be a better solution from upwork for that. I had to do it twice up to now.

regards

Rudolf Greiff

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS