Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you replace 'Availability' rating?

atlinguist
Community Guru
Alexandra H Member Since: Jul 30, 2015
11 of 15

I'm sorry to hear that you have such silly clients. (Sorry. Had to be said.)

"Availability" means that you can be gotten hold of, right? At least that's what I consider it to mean. Being responsive, as you said, and replying to clients's messages in a timely manner.

It does not mean being on standby! At least not for most of us. We all have to plan and schedule our projects, usually in advance, because clients never arrive neatly one after the other. Have your clients never booked an appointment at their hairdresser's or waited for the plumber to arrive? Well then,... I think clients should understand that 'priority handling' is an exception (and would cost more).

Maybe some people confuse the "availability setting" with the "availability rating". Time for a renaming?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
12 of 15

@Alexandra H wrote:

It does not mean being on standby! At least not for most of us. We all have to plan and schedule our projects, usually in advance, because clients never arrive neatly one after the other. Have your clients never booked an appointment at their hairdresser's or waited for the plumber to arrive? Well then,... I think clients should understand that 'priority handling' is an exception (and would cost more).

Well, yes...but, if you were doing a Yelp review for a hairdressed and one of the criteria you were asked to rate was "availability," would you not rate the hairdresser who got you in two days after you called higher for availability than the one whose first opening was 60 days out?

jessicasimko
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
13 of 15

@Tiffany S wrote:

Well, yes...but, if you were doing a Yelp review for a hairdressed and one of the criteria you were asked to rate was "availability," would you not rate the hairdresser who got you in two days after you called higher for availability than the one whose first opening was 60 days out?

EXACTLY.  Availability to many means - are you available to do my job when I need it done? And less than that may be agreeable but worthy of being docked for. I almost don't want to accept jobs anymore when I have to say no. Once they agree to a new deadline I wonder if I will get knocked for it.   

I almost am never "available" right away. At the basic sense, if you say "no, I can't meet your deadline" then you risk a less than 5-star rating in that category regardless of what they agree to later.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
14 of 15

Weirdly, I haven't encountered this problem. I am virtually always booked at least 7-10 days out, and have to tell nearly every new client that I can't start working on a project for at least a week, but don't seem to get dinged for this. But, it doesn't surprise me at all that many clients rate lower when that's the case, and the inconsistency in actual impact seems to me one more bit of evidence that this particular category may not provide any kind of valuable/reliable indicator.

jessicasimko
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
15 of 15

@Tiffany S wrote:

Weirdly, I haven't encountered this problem. I am virtually always booked at least 7-10 days out, and have to tell nearly every new client that I can't start working on a project for at least a week, but don't seem to get dinged for this. But, it doesn't surprise me at all that many clients rate lower when that's the case, and the inconsistency in actual impact seems to me one more bit of evidence that this particular category may not provide any kind of valuable/reliable indicator.

It may be directly related to the type of work. For what I do (resumes and related documents) I have some clients who want to hire me but need it within 24 or 48 hours. Some people have a great sense of urgency about it due to jobs they want to apply to (with deadlines) or just the unsettling feeling of being newly unemployed. But it is what It is... I am never sitting around waiting for work with nothing to do and therefore I can't pick up a job and start right away...hence to some that equates to a 4 in availability. 😕  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS