🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Change first name in my profile
Page options
ls_texte
Community Member

Change first name in my profile

Hello all,

I have an unusual problem and hope that something can be done. I live in Liechtenstein, so in a very small country and everyone can read that in my profile. My first name does not appear here often. So it happens that customers quickly figure out who I am and sometimes write to me privately when they have found my official copywriting company website on the Internet. That is annoying. Can I use a different first name on upwork to protect my privacy?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Laetitia.

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

Upwork is not a privacy protection website.

The purpose of using Upwork is to maximize your ability to use find clients and be found by clients.

People who don't live in your country can also be found by clients through outside means if those clients choose to behave inappropriately. There is nothing particularly unusual about your situation.

If people send you email messages directly instead of communicating through Upwork, you can do what the rest of us do: ignore them or block them or report them or a combination of these.

Thank you, Preston. I would still like to know if this is possible.
There are 38,000 people living in Liechtenstein. It is very much a different situation than if I would work in Germany or in the US.

petra_r
Community Member

Laetitia S wrote:

I would still like to know if this is possible.
There are 38,000 people living in Liechtenstein. It is very much a different situation than if I would work in Germany or in the US.

You would not be allowed to use a different name, but a common abbreviation is generally acceptable (Such as Jim for James, or Alex for Alexander)

If there is such a short form for you name, Letty for example, you could ask to get that approved instead.

I am not really sure how it is a privacy concern though, considering you have an online presence in your name. How is it a privacy issue when someone finds you orginally from Upwork but not a privacy concern when they find you via a Google search? You have your profile on Xing, with your full surname, and elsewhere with an address.... 

But somehow on Upwork it becomes a privacy issue?

How would you even know where they found you?

ls_texte
Community Member

Thank you very much, Petra. Then I will make the request to change my name as much as possible.

I have my reasons why I want this and they are in no way of an illegal nature. 😉

Happy holidays!

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Laetitia S wrote:

Hello all,

I have an unusual problem and hope that something can be done. I live in Liechtenstein, so in a very small country and everyone can read that in my profile. My first name does not appear here often. So it happens that customers quickly figure out who I am and sometimes write to me privately when they have found my official copywriting company website on the Internet. That is annoying. Can I use a different first name on upwork to protect my privacy?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Laetitia.

If you run a business, which you advertise on the internet, why are you bothered so much by people actually finding you and wanting to do business with you?

If people explicitly say they found you on upwork, just tell them you want to do business with them on upwork only. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members