cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes in Connect system, when ?

Community Leader
Bob H Member Since: Feb 18, 2009
11 of 123

Unfortunately, William, you don't see the entire picture, nor do I.  

If youi're a client, you're defintley going to see fewer apps.  But, how many quality individuals are not going to apply for your job now?  You could be missing out on the contractor that really makes your project great.  That risk was minimal, before.  

Even you said asking questions of clients would be nice.  But come on, that would be inconvenient for the client, wouldn't it?  They'd actually have to have some skin in the game if their job descriptitons were accurate and full of information. 

Do you know the kind of jobs I used get?  The job when someone posts, "I need a voice over".  Well, great.  How long is it?  What language?  What tone?  Any characters?  Male or Female?  These types of holes in info isn't going to change.  However, before, I could contact the client with a great cover letter trying explain that they have an ambiguous posting and work them into trusting me to help them and then produce a great product.

I think I'm one of the biggest complainers.  I don't apply for "anything and everything", I don't win contracts "based on the lowest rate".  I have the highest skill and a 5 star rating to boot....your observations and your opinion are ill informed, IMO.  The biggest complainers IMO, are the people like me that are going to see a reduction in income due to a short sighted, one size fits all, poorly designed solution to a problem that lies in a different house.

Community Leader
12 of 123

Blaming the freelancer for low balling a job to get the job is akin to blaming the gun for shooting someone.  It's the client that has the control of whether or not they hire someone when they pull the trigger.  Nevertheless, that's how capitalism works.   If clients are too stupid to understand the difference betweeen price and cost, I can't save them and neither can oDesk.  

Sure the system is going to weed out some issues, but some of those issues are going to be new freelancers that may be more talented than you, it will weed out some clients, too, when they realize they can't get top notch talent and have to live with what they get.  They will go other places.

As far as elance being elite and oDesk being a lesser workforce, so be it.  If that's actually the case, then this change isn't going to help.

From experience, I am making 25% of the money I made under the old system.  My business is designed around audition all that you can to get as much as you can, because a job doesn't take a long time, so you have to fill your day as best you can.

I would be interested to know of any oDesk member who has an increase in oDesk income under the new connects WITHOUT purchasing additional connects.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
13 of 123

@Bob H wrote:

Blaming the freelancer for low balling a job to get the job is akin to blaming the gun for shooting someone.  It's the client that has the control of whether or not they hire someone when they pull the trigger.  Nevertheless, that's how capitalism works.   If clients are too stupid to understand the difference betweeen price and cost, I can't save them and neither can oDesk.  

Sure the system is going to weed out some issues, but some of those issues are going to be new freelancers that may be more talented than you, it will weed out some clients, too, when they realize they can't get top notch talent and have to live with what they get.  They will go other places.

As far as elance being elite and oDesk being a lesser workforce, so be it.  If that's actually the case, then this change isn't going to help.

From experience, I am making 25% of the money I made under the old system.  My business is designed around audition all that you can to get as much as you can, because a job doesn't take a long time, so you have to fill your day as best you can.

I would be interested to know of any oDesk member who has an increase in oDesk income under the new connects WITHOUT purchasing additional connects.

I like the new system. It is not only going to weed out those applying for everything, but you are absolutely right some will go elsewhere, which I sure hope so. Some of the low ball jobs are ridiculous.

I have seen in the forum some of those people claiming to be high paying clients and then they bragged in the past about how they didn't pay if they didn't sell articles they were paying for, or how they paid .50c an hour and their freelancer was happy. Well I for one will be happy to see some of those go as well as the freelancers who are bidding on anything and everything.

I helped one of my clients select job applicants awhile back for an opening and over 50 of the applicants had no skills whatsoever and their applications were cut and paste. What skills they had did not have anything to do with the job and it was like they didn't even bother to read the job post.

It wasted a lot of his time having to go through those and get rid of them. I feel it will improve the overall experience to get rid of both types of time wasters.

I have been monitoring the area I work in and it is one of the highest for low ball jobs. Overall, I am seeing that there are fewer applicants, and that most are hiring in the first week.

I think this is good for everyone. 

Oh and under the new system  I have used 2 connects this month, and had 3 job invites and was hired for one at the beginning of the month which I am no longer available. I have 58 connects left.

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
14 of 123

Well said Suzanne. Kudos

Community Leader
15 of 123

It sounds like you have more of a long term assingment field.  Is that pretty typical?  Also, is this your full time job?  If it is, good for you.

Unfortunately, not all fields function the way yours does.  Hence, a one size fits all solution isn't good for all.  Granted, I can always go elsewhere.  And, I have.  I spend less time on oDesk now and that's not good for me or any of the 5 star happy customers I've had in the past, or could have in the future.

As much as I love seeing cheap clients go away, they will always be there.  Those are jobs I don't even apply for, or I bid the price I'll do it for.  Some pay it and some turn me down.  Either way is good.

Also, if someone considers a low ball application SPAM, then they must considers an application that is bid over budget SPAM, as well.  

For those that it's working great for or are unaffected, congratulations.  For the rest of us, I guess we're just S.O.L

Smiley Sad

Ace Contributor
MG Arfath A Member Since: Jul 17, 2010
16 of 123

@Suzanne N wrote:

I helped one of my clients select job applicants awhile back for an opening and over 50 of the applicants had no skills whatsoever and their applications were cut and paste. What skills they had did not have anything to do with the job and it was like they didn't even bother to read the job post.

It wasted a lot of his time having to go through those and get rid of them. I feel it will improve the overall experience to get rid of both types of time wasters.

I have been monitoring the area I work in and it is one of the highest for low ball jobs. Overall, I am seeing that there are fewer applicants, and that most are hiring in the first week.

oDesk should develop a strong algorithm that filters out applicants, there is no need to restrict freelancer from bidding on jobs.

If someone isn't qualified for the job than his application should be rejected by default for that job, if someone bids on a project where the client wants service provider from a particular region and he isn't from there then the algorithm  / function should reject that job application.

why are you restricting freelancers ?? restrict those who aren't following the guidelines not to those who are genuine freelancers and are longing for work.

In my work area the guys are simply taking interview and vanishing, what about that ?? its the clients who spam more than freelancers. period.

I have posted several reasons about this in my  previous posts........

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
17 of 123

As someone who hires people from time to time, trust me I'm not "too stupid to understand the difference between price and cost."

Frankly that attitude is very insulting to clients on Odesk.

I've posted job after job with specific criteria for the freelancer and yet I was flooded with dozens of applicants who never:

1. read the job description.
  2. were not qualified.
  3. were not from the region I specified.
  4. whose English writing and grammar skills were severly lacking.
  5. had the necessary experience I required for an expert
  6. who had nothing in their portfolio to show their skills and had never worked in the field required.

So PLEASE do not refer to me as STUPID. That's offensive...very offensive.

Community Leader
18 of 123

I'm sorry for insulting you, but maybe now you get the other side of the coin when someone calls 150 apps a month spamming.  Because if low ball apps are spam, then apps higher than budget must be spam, as well.

PLEASE do not refer to me as SUSPECT when it comes to spamming, it is offensive...VERY OFFENSIVE.  

I salute for being above the norm for clients.  I do the same when I hire people.  

The difference between us, I believe is that you feel it is oDesk's responsibility to save the clients.  Since without clients, there are no jobs.  I see it differently, there will always be work to be done.  So, without the freelancer, there can be no work done.  It's a classic immovable object/irresistible force.  On which side is the government, oDesk in this scenario, going to find itself.  Apparently on the client side.  

With better filters, oDesk can save the clients and help the freelancers.  There's no reason why oDesk can't limit skill sets and do a better job at filtering freelancers to the clients. 

The clients pay us, they are our customers.  We pay oDesk, oDesk is our customer.  oDesk's primary function is a filter and they're doing a horrible job at it.  By simply limiting what I can possibly do, they're doing a disservice to both the client and me, in my opinion.

bh

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
19 of 123

I didn't add this to my last post, but if you are truly a good freelancer you should have plenty of invites and not need to use your connects. The only ones I see who will really need to use their connects are the newbies, and if they are careful with the type of jobs they apply to they should have more then enough connects.

When I first started on oDesk I sent out very few applications in the first couple months while I was testing to the waters to see if I could get into freelancing. I only choose jobs I knew I would want to do as well as had the skills to do. I worked on my profile and learned to work on my cover letter to sell myself.

I found a great cover letter got me interviewed many times, and the only reason it did not land me a job when I first started is I had some I was not interested in the job once interviewed.

Most of the good freelancers get regular job invites. Invites do not cost connects. Learn to stand out from the others and you won't have any issues landing work on oDesk or any place else.

Community Guru
William H Member Since: Dec 2, 2013
20 of 123

Hi Suzanne,

I am one of the best French to English translators on this site, been here 18 months, and have NEVER, EVER, EVER been invited for a French to English translation job. Just FYI Smiley Wink...

Cheers,

William

PS - have no idea why...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS