cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes in Connect system, when ?

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
21 of 123

William, to receive invitations you need to be found first by prospective oDesk clients. Maybe as a result of oDesk recruiters' efforts or more likely as a result of oDesk client searches for freelancers.

In the latter case, I believe that the client search for freelancers features are poor at best. Likewise, I believe that the freelancers search for jobs features are lacking as well.

I get invitations but rarely for jobs and clients that meet or exceed my own established criteria. However, I expect that as a result of the new Connects feature, things will improve for both oDesk clients and freelancers. I hope so anyway. Time will tell....

Community Leader
Bob H Member Since: Feb 18, 2009
22 of 123

Being a good freelancer has almost NO EFFECT on the financial side of a product.

I only apply to jobs I can do well, hence my 5 star rating.  The problem is, in my market, the rates are not high.  I still make 25-50 dollars per hour, but it takes 1-5 jobs to get there, because the jobs don't take very much time.

Standing out is something I again believe I display with my perfect 5 star rating.  NEVER a negative rating.

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
23 of 123

@Suzanne N wrote:

I didn't add this to my last post, but if you are truly a good freelancer you should have plenty of invites and not need to use your connects. The only ones I see who will really need to use their connects are the newbies, and if they are careful with the type of jobs they apply to they should have more then enough connects.

I'm a great freelancer with a great rating but I rarely get invites and those that I do get are usually not appropriate

It's a bit insulting to assume that because someone is not getting a lot of invites they are not "truly a good freelancer". (Particularly with the way the oDesk search function seems to work)

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
24 of 123

@David G wrote:

@Suzanne N wrote:

I didn't add this to my last post, but if you are truly a good freelancer you should have plenty of invites and not need to use your connects. The only ones I see who will really need to use their connects are the newbies, and if they are careful with the type of jobs they apply to they should have more then enough connects.

I'm a great freelancer with a great rating but I rarely get invites and those that I do get are usually not appropriate

It's a bit insulting to assume that because someone is not getting a lot of invites they are not "truly a good freelancer". (Particularly with the way the oDesk search function seems to work)

David,

I apologize to you and the others as I did not mean to offend. I just feel that most freelancers if they are top rated should be able to get by on the connects by being selective, purchasing more connects or getting invites. I don't always word things correctly. I am good at inserting foot in mouth. Smiley Happy

Please accept my apology on miswording what I was trying to convey. 

Ace Contributor
MG Arfath A Member Since: Jul 17, 2010
25 of 123

All of those who are saying that the connect system is good haven't even used 10 connects, they have logn term jobs so aren't worried about this new system. 

How can one judge the connect system by just using '2 connects' seriously ? Different fields have different requirements and different type of clients.

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
26 of 123

I do not have a long term job.

All of mine last a day or two.

I've also used more than 26 connects applying for jobs but I'm being very selective.

As well, it can take anywhere from a few days to a month before I get hired which makes it difficult but in the long run it usually pays off.

Community Leader
27 of 123

Jean - If you don't mind.  Is freelancing your full time job?

Community Guru
28 of 123

Hi Bob,

I was full time at one time but I'm disabled now and so I'm forced to only take short term quick jobs and therefore can't do full time any more. I see many jobs I could apply for but I'm limited by the connects and now must be very choosy. Also the JS scares me half to death so I'm even more picky now than I ever was. 

Community Leader
29 of 123

I'm sorry to hear that you had to reduce your hours.  That's never good.  Smiley Sad

See, I'm a full time freelancer.  I've freelanced for a long time, just part time, and quit the last radio station I worked for to go full time on my own.   oDesk was a very big part of the decision when I made it.  It was a great way to build a foundation for the business.  Now, like you, with the limited amount of jobs I can apply to, I have to be choosy and HOPE I choose the right jobs.  That's the unfortunate part of it.  Now, you really have to hope what you think you do well is what other think you do well.  

What is "JS"?

Community Guru
30 of 123

JS - Job Success

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS