Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Client Feedback

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
James T Member Since: Oct 12, 2015
1 of 8

After having just discussed this question with a member of the support team. This is what I ahve concluded and now question. I am aware this topic has been discussed before also.......

- So if a client doesn't leave feedback for the freelancer this has a detrimental effect on the success score for the freelanncer which could be the difference between getting top rated and not.

I was told that no feedback is a negartive for a freelancer. There are many reasons as to why a client may not leave feedback - Forgot, Can't be bothered, does not know how, many possibilities. BUT, for sure if the client was not happy with the work then they would write bad feedback, surely? I know that if i was unhappy with the work I received then I would write something back. Laziness, Forgetfiulness or ignorance are the only real reasons i think.

So, my question is this - 

Why when a contract finishes is it a) Mandatory to leave feedback for a cloient, even if just some stars. And b) Why cant we see what they have written before we write ours - It should be done at the same time.

Conclusion,

I strongly feel and urge Upwork to change this system. How about when a client and freelancer finish a contract and the client wants to release the funds, even before clicking the button there should be the mandatory feedback page as part of the closing purpose.

The system really is not fair on us hardworking freelancers, some of who rely on the income. Its all client orientated, even though without the freelancers there would be no work. Please Upwork, do the right thing.

Out of 26 jobs I have successfully completed, 5 have not left any feedback and I was just informed that is very close to the point where it starts getting negative.

Advice, 

Always say from the very start that you need feedback at the end of the contract. If they fail to write any then send some polite messages to them, that's all we can do until this is changed.

Thanks all and happy freelancing.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Ramon v Member Since: Oct 28, 2015
2 of 8

James T wrote:

So, my question is this - 

Why when a contract finishes is it a) Mandatory to leave feedback for a cloient, even if just some stars. And b) Why cant we see what they have written before we write ours - It should be done at the same time.

I disagree with B, I don't think that the other person's feedback should influence yours, and the other way around. If you were going to leave positive feedback and then see that the client gave 4 stars instead of 5, some people might feel the need to 'take revenge' or something.

However, I completely agree with A. Like you said, people might not be bothered to leave positive feedback, but they'd definitely take some time to leave negative feedback if they're disappointed with the freelancer's work. So it feels very unfair that, when clients don't take the time (which is their right) this still ends up having a negative effect for the freelancer. It should be mandatory and there should just be a daily pop-up to remind clients to leave feedback but at the same time I can't imagine that Upwork wants to 'pester' clients in that way in fear of them leaving the site altogether.

I just hope this JSS stuff is worked out before it starts to reflect negatively on me, which is only a matter of time it seems.

Edited to add:

This is perfect timing, I just found out that I dropped from 100% to 94%. Feedback score is 4.95 and 100% of the clients would recommend me, so it's probably because out of 12 jobs 4 didn't leave feedback.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
3 of 8

Agree with you cpmpletely. 

It should be mandatory for clients to leave feedback as it is for us. Failiure to leave feedback results in a client account suspension or something along those lines.

It will be easy to do. They cannot release funds until feedback left and that page should flash after submitted work or when both parties are happy.

Or get rif of JSS altogether!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
4 of 8

The Job Success score is never going to go away.

What must be done and I can't stress this strongly enough, Upwork MUST make it more fair and truly reflective of the entire experience with a client.

STOP penalizing us for things that are out of our control.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
5 of 8

Well said. I couldn't agree more. Iy seems as if Upwork is more for attracting clients than freelancers. Lets face it there will always be people wanting work done, thats a fact. But rhere needs to be the ability to supply regular, professional freelancers to do quality work that impresses the client who will then pay for more work, tell his mates etc.

At the moment it seems that the freelancer community is dammed if you do, dammed if you don't and it really isn't fair

The only possible way around this is for Upwork to actually listen to its cash cow (us) and do something about it. Mandatory feedback etc.

Like I said before, I was told that no feedback is negative feedback but if its not good work then for sure you would get negative feedback. So in my opinion, no feedback does not mean negstive, everything else but that.

I really hope they take note of this issue and many more because there are plenty of freelancers (sometimes including me) that rely on the work and income and work bloody hard to maintain the quality - and HAVE to leave feedback.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 8

"Well said. I couldn't agree more. Iy seems as if Upwork is more for attracting clients than freelancers. Lets face it there will always be people wanting work done, thats a fact"

LOL Of course they are. There's more than enough of us to go around. It's the clients they ned to attract because they pay the bills. There are plenty of lame freelancing sites around catering to freelancers and they have lots of freelancers all QQing to themselves about Upwork, but they have no clients....

I hope they continue to focus on attracting clients.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
7 of 8

Agree with you also Jennifer, valid points. Upwork does indeed need to entice more clients to Upwork, I agree. But there needs to be a more comprehensive vetting system in place before allowing any Tom Dick Van Dyke or Harry to post jobs.

I am looking forward to the time when thee are top clients on upwork in abundance.

As for other, 'lame' freelancing sites, I only know of Odesk and Elance, now all Upwork. 

Anyway my point is mainly about the feedback and what needs to be done.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 8

Freelancers have been crying about client vetting processes for over a decade on every site. Odesk and Elance alike. It's not going to happen. The more barriers you put in front of a customer, the more you reduce your good potential leads and they just move on to another site.

I guess to understand you really must have been a part of a startup or successful online ecommerce/services style site. Once you see how it works, you'd understand. The bad is usually negligible when you weigh it with the revenue and lead generation potential. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS