🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Fraud
Page options
okurun
Community Member

Client Fraud

I have a client fraud issue that she has said that the credit card of her has been stolen. Then she has said that she has been taking care of this issue, but I dont have any payments in last 5 months about it. I need the client details to reach her out and try to have my well-deserved earnings from her. I have been worked in more than 100+ projects and I have nothing like this before. This issue must be corrected. Need help in a very high urgency. Thank you

9 REPLIES 9
aaf1f758
Community Member

Hi Muhammet, 

If you are working through Upwork and adhering to their policies, any fraud is minimized. As long as you track time or wait for the Client to fund the escrow, then you should be safe. Your topic doesnt have much data on how that happened though

759e32fa

Hi Muhammet,

Thank you for reaching out. You have the option to stop working with this client if you are not receiving payments from her. 

As Mohamed said, you can protect yourself from these instances. Please check the following articles about how you can make sure you get paid for each type of contract:

Get Paid for Hourly Contracts

Get Paid for Fixed-Price Contracts

~ AJ
Upwork
okurun
Community Member

Hello Annie, sure I know and apply the rules to my many clients. The thing is while working with that client , my computer got broken and I havent been able to use system (since I was working with another people computers) so I had to enter my hours manually and then she has said the credit card has been stolen and I got no help. In situations like that, I should be informed and system tried to get the money from the customer. Only refunding is not very fair on our side. So all in all, I need to have the client details as mail, phone for this specific fraud to reach her out myself to get my well-deserved money for sure.

Even if you were entering your hours manually, the client would be charged on the following Monday and Upwork would have notified you to pause the contract if the payments weren't going through. Why did you continue working for 5 months if you weren't being paid? Do you have enough money to take a client to court, especially if they're located in another country? If not, getting the client's details won't help, I'm afraid.

Hello Christine, first of all ,to clarify I havent worked for 5 months, the case is 5 month old. I had worked for 9 hours then got paid and immediately it has been automatically refunded that is saying me the client account is suspended. I havent been notified earlier so I had nothing else to do. I want to get the client details because she owes me. I can contact her and try to collect my money from her. It is really shame that she hasnt done anything even I have send her multiple messages

Muhammet Oguz K wrote:

I know and apply the rules to my many clients. 

You applied the rules to "many clients" but not this one, is it any surprise that you did not have any problem with those clients and have a problem only with this client? 

There is no point in wasting time and energy on this one, Upwork will not give you the contact details, and even if they did what can you do? What is your action plan after she blocks your messages and calls? What are you going to do? 

I try to work for good clients and take a call after talking to them, but I do not rely on their ethics or character for my payments, I rely on Upwork's payment protection system. 

I do not believe in chasing the client for payments, if they were so honest the situation to chase them or remind them would never present itself! So, If I make a mistake in protecting myself by failing to follow the rules, then it's on me! 

There is a special circumtances in there, if you have read my messages that my computer got broken and I had to reply to the customer. Sometimes clients does not see the upwork messages so I can chase her with her contact details for sure. There is an exertion from me and I want to be paid for as a natural thing. So if anyone can share the contact details from the admins, customer service, it will be helpful to me , otherwise please dont write any messages that already I know or dont contribute to my situation. Also we should help each other because we are on the same side. I am really surprised to see the messages that are harsh and not polite. Thanks

If you decide to post a question on a "Public Forum" be prepared to receive a variety of responses, everyone will post their respective opinion and you cannot control which direction the thread takes...

I do not see any harsh or impolite replies to your message, if there were any moderators would have taken an action. This community is heavily and actively moderated! 

And how do you expect us to know what you already know? You should post a note to your message stating that you know all the rules for payment protection and still exposed yourself and now you are trying to find help getting Upwork to give up the private contact information of their client! 

Oh, now that makes sense! 

I meant no offense! 

I am writing there to get a solution, nothing more. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members