Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Suggesting First Project a "TEST" -- Try this trick

financemark
Community Guru
Mark K Member Since: Jul 7, 2016
1 of 4

Seen this type of post -- too many times (post modified from original):

"This work is a test to feel each other and is distributed to several freelancers at the same time - and in case of success we will choose the one that is suitable to continue running with him later on in the xyz."

First:  Suggesting that a first effort is a Test is a LIE: it is "always" an attempt to dangle a carrot in order to secure a low fee from you. 

But, if you are curious to know if Client is authentic, try these tricks to determine so:

- Look at the Ave Fee per Hour that client pays -- if it is lower than your fee rate, run.

- Has the client hired for similar sounding jobs in the past?  If so, they hooked a sucker.  Why is client post the same/similar job again?  Why not use same Freelancer? 

- Has client's prior jobs had negative Freelance reviews: dead give-away.  BUT, more important are the "no comment" prior jobs.  Why?  Freelancers are reluctant to slam clients for fear of retribution and a bad UW rating -- I view no comments more negatively than bad reviews for this reason.

SUMMARY:  Best to thumbs-down the "Test Project" posts - they are low value projects from clients that do not seek relationships.

MK

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 4

I have completed over 130 jobs on Upwork.

I assume that ALL of them were tests.

If the work I do isn't to the client's liking, then she should absolutely not hire me again.

I think that every job on Upwork should be a paid test.

And every client should know that the only way to accurately test a freelancer is to hire the freelancer at the regular rate.

If you hire a freelancer at $5/hour for a job that you intend to pay them $10/hour for on an ongoing basis, then the results will be invalid.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 4

Hi Mark,

Paid test projects and trials are allowed on Upwork. Moreover, they are often a very good way for the freelancer and the client to figure out if they trust each other and are comfortable to work together before they dive into a bigger project. 

Freelancers are free to bid on test jobs with the rate they consider appropriate for such project.

Additionally, please, note that a duplicate post of yours about the same topic has been removed.

~ Valeria
Upwork
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 4

This started with a test ...

test.jpg

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS