🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Unresponsive After Milestone Submissio...
Page options
cca13f63
Community Member

Client Unresponsive After Milestone Submission - Seeking Advice

Hey fellow freelancers and moderators,

I recently encountered a challenging situation with a client, and I could use some advice. Here's what happened: a client approached me with an urgent job. However, they were in a hurry before setting the milestone and were very prompt to my every text. I completed the first milestone, and he approved it quickly. Then, he wanted me to do a new task, and he proposed a new milestone, and I accepted. I did it to the best of my abilities and uploaded the second milestone for the client's review.

The problem arose when the client suddenly went silent. They have only texted me once in the past three to four weeks, and my attempts to reach out regarding any changes or improvements to the milestone have gone unanswered. The only response was on the 14th day, the last day of approval by the client, and they just asked for unknown changes.

I would consider ending the contract, but I am reluctant to do so because it could negatively impact my account score. Additionally, I cannot locate the "file a dispute" button to address this issue formally.

I'm contacting the Upwork community, hoping someone has experienced a similar situation or can offer valuable guidance. Has anyone else encountered an unresponsive client after submitting a milestone? How did you handle it? Are there any alternative steps I can take to resolve this issue without jeopardizing my account or the work I have completed? How can I contact Upwork Support?

Any insights or suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your support!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Ubaid,

For Fixed-Price jobs, freelancers are advised to use the submit work link next to the funded milestone on the contract details page to share work with their clients and, at the exact moment, request payment.
Once you submit work and request payment, the client will have 14 days to review it and approve or ask for changes. If they take no action in 14 days, the funds in Escrow will be released to you. You may read more about Fixed-Price Protection here.

Additionally, you may want to check this help article about disputing non-release of milestones. 
~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jonathan_hopkins
Community Member

Hi Ubaid, in my experience it can sometimes be that the client has had something come up and they've had to deal with it (personal/family issues could be a reason etc) the other scenario is they have the work they required and no longer require your services and don't realise they actually need to end the contract (this could be the case with a new user on the platform). Generally if the client is unresponsive for long periods of time with no communication I would set a deadline respectfully asking for communucation and if none is recieved that I will regretfully have to end the contract. If the client has disappeared and doesn't respond it is unlikely they will come back to leave any kind of feedback. Sometimes this happens clients and it is probably best just to move on and take on some more contracts with well trusted clients on the platform when possible. 

Hope that helps!

Best,

Jonathan

Thanks, Jonathan. And I texted him about the closing the job, feedback etc.
However, is it wise to end the contract when the milestone is pending?

My experience is similar to yours, and I am afraid that I will become like you. When a customer suddenly contacted me on the last day to make excessive demands, he continued to delay.

Hi Ubaid,

For Fixed-Price jobs, freelancers are advised to use the submit work link next to the funded milestone on the contract details page to share work with their clients and, at the exact moment, request payment.
Once you submit work and request payment, the client will have 14 days to review it and approve or ask for changes. If they take no action in 14 days, the funds in Escrow will be released to you. You may read more about Fixed-Price Protection here.

Additionally, you may want to check this help article about disputing non-release of milestones. 
~ Nikola
Upwork
2ae2c45f
Community Member

Hello, can you help me post the question and answer it in detail?

e9ef7bdb
Community Member

Hi NikolaS 

I saw this post and since I am facing the same issue, I thought I'd just use this for my query. I have a fixed price contract for which I have delivered the documents exactly according to requirements. The first and only response I have received since then (almost 2 days) from the client is about the client saying that they will share the document with the person who's collaborating with them on it, and wait for his feedback. Beyond this message, I have not received any information or any messages at all. I did submit the work at the "submit work" button next to the milestone , I also sent a message with it, and my first concern is that there is no agreement on any review myself offering my services in fixing the document again according to comments they receive. If I do that, their work being collaborative, I can just foresee this kind of demand extending beyond the acceptance or reasonable few changes that one could offer to help with which I have. 

my second concern is that the submit work button has now changed into review and resubmit buttong. My question is whether this would be because of some action that I am not able to view on part of the client , or is this normal. I have t actually seen it happen as all of my few jobs ended with contracts ending and feedback exchange, very neatly and right after submitting the required work.

Lastly, I want to know about the payment which is still appearing in escrow. I understand that this is released within 14 days of no action by the client , but I am wondering what I wold do if the client takes actions around the time the 14 days are about to end. This client has also not been very clear about their requirements and I have noticed the profile shows Saudi Arabia as the location at one place and Australia the other of the same contract which has got me further confused. 

aftyer initially requesting the milestone be approved, I have not sent any messages either and have not tried to establish contact. I am hopeful that the mechanisms for protecting the freelancers and the client's interests that Upwork has in place would be sufficient in protecting my interests. That is however what I want to inquire about , the course of action which keeps me aligned with the policies and rules and regulations of the platform. I would like your guidance and support in handling this situation amicably and professionally. 

looking forward to your guidance and support 

thanks 🙂 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members