🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client and Freelancer account setup
Page options
3ae8a41a
Community Member

Client and Freelancer account setup

I'm a client and now I'm setting up a freelancer account. When I setup my freelancer account it asks for a phone number.

As I enter my phone number I get a "This number is being used by another account".How can I have a client and freelancer account if I only have one phone number?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
AndreaG

Hi Renzo,

I checked and it looks like you're creating a new account for your freelancer profile. Please know, you can be both a client and a freelancer using the same account! You will use the same account to log in to Upwork but will have separate user profiles. You will be able to easily switch between them as needed. Please check out this help article for instructions on how to do this.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
3ae8a41a
Community Member

THanks andrea but when I go to my Client info at https://www.upwork.com/ab/client-info/ and then to the bottom of the page I only get the message: This is a client account, create new account.

And when selecting the "create new account" I only get the option: +New Client Account.

How do I use the same client account and create a freelancer profile?

Thanks

Hi Renzo,

I checked your account, and I can see that you have successfully started a freelancer account. Please proceed with completing the profile creation form by filling in all the requested questions. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
3ae8a41a
Community Member

Yes, I have started creating a freelancer account but again.. I'm asked to prove a phone number which is the same as my client account. And Im not able to enter the same phone number because the system tells me is already being used.

again, how can I have a client and freelancer account at the same time if I use the same phone number?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Renzo, 

I checked both your freelancer and client accounts. I checked your client account and can see that when I click on the "Create a New Account" at the bottom of your My Info page (Settings > My Info), you will see this pop-up. You were unable to create a freelancer account from your original client account because you need to update your address in your client account. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 12.13.35 PM.png

I suggest that we close this new freelancer account where you are posting from so that you can create a freelancer account from your client account. If you need help closing your freelancer account, let us know and our team will assist you. If you need further help with creating a freelancer account within your current client account, please don't hesitate to update us here. 

~ Avery
Upwork

If we're really honest about all this... The way that the word "account" is used on Upwork IS confusing at times.

The original poster in this thread tried creating a completely new Upwork login account.

Which of course all of us who are experienced Upwork users know is not how to do this.

But back in the day... when I was a new Upwork user?
I wanted to start using Upwork as a client, and I didn't know what to do, and I talked to an Upwork Customer Service rep, who told me to create a new account. And I did exactly the same thing as this thread's original poster. This all blew up on me very quickly and had to be straightened out.

Essentially, people need to create a new "account."

But not THAT kind of "account." The OTHER kind of "account."

I'm just glad that Upwork is understanding when people inadvertently make this kind of mistake.

3ae8a41a
Community Member

Thank you. Yes please help me close the freelancer account so that I can try create one within my client account.

Also, when I go to my client account https://www.upwork.com/ab/client-info/ I only get one option to add a client account and not a freelancer account.

Please send me the URL where I should be to create the freelancer account or where to update my address if needed. THanks

All this is getting so confusing. Please help

Hi Renzo,

As Avery shared above, you'll need to update your address in order to be able to create a freelancer profile from your original account. You can update your address by going to Settings > My Info.

I can see you were able to close this freelancer account, please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members