cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client asking for ID

Lester S Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
1 of 18

Hello everyone,

I was hired to create 50 instructional videos and my wife is the Instructor/Speaker in that video. We have done 2 videos so far.

Client suddenly told me that my wife and I will need to sign an agreement stating that he has all the rights to these videos. And he is requesting to attach our id like passport or driver's license. I am not comfortable with sharing our personal information to someone as we all know there's a lot of identity theft and phishing going on now, but i'm really not sure maybe I'm wrong. 

Is it safe to share a copy of your ID to anyone online? I attach the contract of agreement he sent.

I know the people in this community are very helpful and kind so thank you very much in advance!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
Melissa C Member Since: Jul 22, 2017
BEST ANSWER
2 of 18
No.

Tell your client that Upwork has that information already when it comes to your identification.

Signing an NDA is pretty standard, though.

And Upwork also has it set up so that as long as the work is paid for, the client retains all the rights to said work. I don't have a link handy, but it's in the Upwork terms of service.

So if I were you, I would simply say that actually you don't need my ID because Upwork already has it, and I'd be happy to sign an NDA as well as a statement that any work you pay for in full belongs to you.

But asking for IDs is shady. I would never give a client my ID. Don't do that. What need did the client say they had for your identification? No.
3 of 18

Thanks melissa, i am now talking to my client.

Can you help me find where it is written in the Upwork terms of service? So that i can show it to my client that he must not ask for my id

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
4 of 18

Hi Lester,

If your client requests to see your ID, we highly recommend that you refrain from doing so unless you trust your client and feel they have valid reasons for the request. Often, such requests are done for fraudulent purposes.

If your client needs more details about you he can contact us directly and our team will assist them further. Note: private details will not be shared with your client.

Untitled
Ella S Member Since: Apr 2, 2019
5 of 18

Hi there,

I have just signed a new contract with a client, and he is asking for my Passport number. I really don't want to share this, but he seems to have made other hires and spent money.

What should I do?

Thanks,

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Ella

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
6 of 18

Hi Ella,

If your client requests to see your ID, we highly recommend that you refrain from doing so unless you trust your client and feel they have valid reasons for the request. Often, such requests are done for fraudulent purposes.

If your client needs more details about you he can contact us directly and our team will assist them further. Note: private details will not be shared with your client. Thank you.

Untitled
Ella S Member Since: Apr 2, 2019
7 of 18

Thanks for this, Goran.

Community Guru
Hiu Chun L Member Since: Jul 27, 2017
8 of 18

Everything Melissa said. And I am concerned that the client had posted a lot of jobs, is interviewing a lot of people, hired some freelancers but does not seem to have paid any money yet.

Have you completed a milestone or two by making those two videos?

9 of 18

you are correct. He has not paid me any money yet. Actually he changed the contract 3 times. In the 2nd contract he made i asked him to activate the milestone first before i start making videos. so he funded the whole amount for 50 videos which, then after 2 weeks he requested that we change it to a price per video done, so he will fund a $ per video as milestone.

I have done the work for the 2 milestone but he asked for some changes in the videos so..

Community Guru
Melissa C Member Since: Jul 22, 2017
10 of 18
So he's an unrepentant time waster, a perpetual interviewer of more than ten freelancers and always wants to change your contract? This guy sounds super fishy. He's changed the terms of your contract three times? So now you have two contracts with no money exchanged on them? And now he won't find the whole milestone??

This guy sounds horrible. Those two contracts that have been ended may not show up on your profile, but they will get calculated into your job success score, which this guy is going to destroy through being a cheap flip flopper.

I wish I had advice for you. I'm sorry Lester, this is a terrible situation for you to be in.

You're probably going to get a Job Success Score after your complete your next job or two (as long as you've worked five jobs with three different clients and they all paid you), and those two cancelled contracts from this client are going to drop that score, which is unfortunate because you did nothing wrong.

I would love to tell you to quit this contract, but then you would have three unsuccessful contracts to calculate into your approaching JSS.

Is this guy trying to only pay you $5 per video? 🙄 I guess, due to the situation with your score likely being hindered by this single client, I would advise you to wait and see if he pays you the agreed upon amount. But it seems to me that he's trying to perpetually keep you doing $5 videos at his request. If you get your JSS in the next couple of updates and it isn't super low... end that contract. You appear to have decent work history so just keep trying to get jobs and do them well before this guy does any more damage to you. I'm sorry this is happening to you and really do wish you the best.

Edit so sorry for the lengthy reply, but if you've had two contracts with him where he did pay you already and they ended well, I might just tell you to cancel the current one. It doesn't sound like it's worth the pain and you can bounce back from one negative contract much more easily than you can from three.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS